Thread: Coming to Juneau from Texas

Default Coming to Juneau from Texas

I'll be in and around Juneau beginning March 26 - around April 1st. Other than camping at/a hike to Windfall lake cabin (and some snowboarding), I'm not 100% sure what we're going to be doing, but I know I want to do some fishing (other than @ Windfall Lake).

Can someone recommend either a good/reasonable daily guide service, and/or offer up some advise as to what would be a good species to target for a trophy at this time of year and where to find it?

Thanks in advance...if anyone is coming to Texas hunting black bass, I'll be happy to help!

Not sure you will find any open (fresh) water around that time...It got up to 21 today, but it has been single-digit at night.

I don't know of any local guide or charter outfits that offer trips before the end of april / beginning of may, the unofficial "season opener".

Might wanna stick with snowboarding.

yea there's pretty much no fishing here until late april at the earliest
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

That's not what I wanted to hear , hopefully I'll get my fill of fishing the weekend before at Amistad.

Oh well...any other recommendations on what to do/see?

If I was determined to do some fishing during that period, I would look into a saltwater charter for chinook salmon. "Feeder" fish are available, but don't expect fast fishing. A buddy of mine caught one on a nice afternoon a couple weeks ago.

Most charter operators are not geared up to fish that early, but some may welcome the trip as an off-season bonus.

On the other hand, speaking as an avid fisherman AND skier, I would choose the snowboard action over fishing that time of year.

go to the glacier, if you like beer go to the brewery and the Alaskan, enjoy eaglecrest, hope it dosen't rain

Quote Originally Posted by ak_powder_monkey View Post
    yea there's pretty much no fishing here until late april at the earliest
    There you go again, Patrick... quit being discouraging. If you don't want to offer relevant help, it's real easy to NOT click on the "Reply" button.

Quote Originally Posted by Tsiutoo View Post
    If I was determined to do some fishing during that period, I would look into a saltwater charter for chinook salmon. "Feeder" fish are available, but don't expect fast fishing. A buddy of mine caught one on a nice afternoon a couple weeks ago.

Most charter operators are not geared up to fish that early, but some may welcome the trip as an off-season bonus.

On the other hand, speaking as an avid fisherman AND skier, I would choose the snowboard action over fishing that time of year.
    Do you know of any charters that are even in the water this time of year? I thought I was the only one... I know Rum Runner is still in the barn, Islander is still in the boat condo (although Ole and Sandy have new cell phones this season!), and all of the smaller boats are still sitting in their owners' driveways. Beartrack is out of the question unless you can get out on a weekend as Todd is still teaching at Riverbend, and my boat might even still be iced in the boathouse downtown.

Now, having said all that, there can be some great winter King fishing going on, but you'll have to either have your own boat or beg your way onto an open seat type outing. I'll see how the ice in the harbor is doing, and might well be up for some company on the early season shakedown cruises.

Happy Alaska Travels!
    -Case
    M/V CanCan - 34' SeaWolf - Bandon, OR
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by CanCanCase View Post
    There you go again, Patrick... quit being discouraging. If you don't want to offer relevant help, it's real easy to NOT click on the "Reply" button.
    The fact that the fishing sucks isn't exactly nonrelevent

Quote Originally Posted by ak_powder_monkey View Post
    The fact that the fishing sucks isn't exactly nonrelevent
    I'm sorry... what boat do you own that you've been out in this time of year? If fishing is so "nonexistent" why are there several winter/spring commercial openings? (Had any fresh crab lately?)

You're correct... the fact that "fishing sucks" isn't nonrelevent, it's just plain untrue. Fishing in March and April can be great if the weather is cooperating. As several others have pointed out, the OP will probably want to focus on saltwater fishing, rather than fresh.

Provided the ice clears the harbor and it's not too windy, I'll be out every chance I get in late March and April (there are always a few boats hanging around DuPont and Salisbury that time of year)...

I guess my point is that fishing is good here year-round. The weather can (and often does) suck, but that's part of living in Alaska. I do wish the OP good luck finding a ride out onto the salt, as there are no charters to speak of that have a boat near the water if snow is still falling.

-Case
    M/V CanCan - 34' SeaWolf - Bandon, OR
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]