Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Susitna Valley Winter Trail (Corridor Trail)

  1. #1
    Member Jktimm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Meadow Lakes, Wasilla
    Posts
    213

    Question Susitna Valley Winter Trail (Corridor Trail)

    Two questions for you knowledgeable types out there...
    1.) Where along the trail can you purchase fuel or food?
    2.) Where on Big Lake do you join the Corridor Trail?

    from the WACO website:
    Saturday, March 14 is the grand opening of the Susitna Valley Winter Trail. This new trail consists of a 120 mile groomed and signed winter trail from Big Lake to Denali State Park. State Parks helped organize the four local trail organizations, the Mat-Su Borough and State DNR create this beautiful avenue to the back country. There will be opening ceremonies at the Susitna Landing, mi 82 Parks Hwy. Check the State Parks web site for maps and information.

    Word is that Sarah will be at the dedication at Ron's at mile 82. Maybe first due Todd will even be there!

  2. #2
    Member Trail Boss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Willow AK.
    Posts
    605

    Thumbs up Sat.

    Fuel, food and X-tras are avilable in Big Lake, Willow, Su. Landing and Trapper Creek. They are 30 to 40 miles apart.
    The start is at the North Shore Camp Ground around 10:00AM.
    Trail Boss
    Willow Trail Committe
    ALASKA'S Winter Park Cabins
    To boldly make trail where no man has gone before!!!

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    84

    Default

    As far as I know. Take the Irondog trail and go north throught the big swamp (at the big winter trail marker). The trail takes Corral hill to the river, then the Deshka cut accross and then North to Su Landing. Then to Trapper lake, Rabideax and then on to the Chulitna Bluff trail. You can get food and fuel in Trapper Creek. Or if you feel motivated take the Chulitna Bluff trail and loop back around, or take the East West express at mile 121.5 to Kenny Creek Lodge for some pizza and fuel. You could stay the night there as well before your return trip. Let me know if I am wrong Trail boss, I havn't seen any official maps yet.

  4. #4
    Member Trail Boss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Willow AK.
    Posts
    605

    Smile Yes!

    All your info is great! The New signs came in today for this trail and will be going in this week!
    Trail Boss
    Willow Trail Committe
    ALASKA'S Winter Park Cabins
    To boldly make trail where no man has gone before!!!

  5. #5

    Default

    After leaving Big Lake, the next best location for fuel is the Dehska Landing, as it is right along side the trail. You can get gas there 24/7 with a credit card. After that you should be good to go to Trapper Creek. The trail is a good 6 miles from Willow and other roadside fuel stops, so they are pretty much out of the loop. The best riding is along side the trail in the open areas and then jump back on the trail through the timber stretches. I am not aware of decent maps in hard copy for the trail. The one's online are very vague, nondescriptive and useless. Someone will jump on the opportunity to produce a map, probably in sections of the trail. The trail is a good ways from roadside fuel and food stops, so take along your own and be prepared to feed yourself.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    950

    Default Go here for trail maps

    http://dnr.alaska.gov/parks/grants/groompl.htm

    This is a good spot to download maps. Start with the Susitna Valley Winter Trails Map.

  7. #7

    Default

    Anybody know if the Su or Deshka Landing have 90 octane gas? Or is it just 87?
    Thanks

  8. #8

    Talking

    Quote Originally Posted by sportsman6x6 View Post
    Anybody know if the Su or Deshka Landing have 90 octane gas? Or is it just 87?
    Thanks
    Just regular. I seriously doubt that it is really even 87 Octane. But the fuel I have bought doesn't ping, unlike some I have bought on the highway.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

  9. #9

    Wink

    Quote Originally Posted by NRick View Post
    http://dnr.alaska.gov/parks/grants/groompl.htm

    This is a good spot to download maps. Start with the Susitna Valley Winter Trails Map.
    Be very careful when attempting to use this map. I have it downloaded, printed and know the trail pretty well. I can tell you there are huge discrepancies on the map, as oppposed to where the trail really is. The DNR qualifies their version, by stating the map is not to be used for navigational purposes. It is way off. But, it gives you a good idea of the general direction the trails run. I have used my gps to overlay a slug trail on the topos program and it seems to be a decent way to map it, for myself.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

  10. #10
    Member Trail Boss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Willow AK.
    Posts
    605

    Smile Maps!

    The States maps are not very good. We keep giving them good info and they sure mess it up. But they are getting better and with the new signage you should have no problem staying on this interlinking trail as it passes throught each area! I hope everone will try this new trail and over time it will get better and better.
    This is your Money at work for trails!!
    Hope to see you at Su Landing at 2:00pm.
    Trail Boss
    Willow Trail Committe
    ALASKA'S Winter Park Cabins
    To boldly make trail where no man has gone before!!!

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •