Thread: M700 issues

Default M700 issues

I recall hearing about issues that arose from some of Remington's M700 firing as the safety was taken off...

What ever came of that? Is there a fix?

I've read of a multitude of fixes. One is to frequently inspece and clean the trigger to make sure the disconnector doesn't get gummed up. Personally, I don't see that as a fix.

The next is to replace the trigger with an aftermarket unit.

An additional modification, costly albeit the best one in my mind is to have a 3 position mdl 70 style saftety fit to the bolt. I've never cared for any sort of trigger block as a safety.

Best fix I've heard of is to replace it with a Winchester-style shroud and safety.

Or, don't carry a round in the chamber...but I don't really like that option.

I've always heard about this, but the only time I've had it happen to me with close to a dozen M700's to my name was after a bout of trigger adjustment when I went too far in adjusting out overtravel. The other incident I know of among my friends proved to be the same cause. Makes me suspicious about injudicious trigger adjustment in other instances.

Default Remington M700 safety...

The Remington safety locks only the sear from movement, or what is known as a sear operating safety. When the safety is engaged it cams the sear slightly forward off the sear/trigger notch. This allows the trigger "room" to reset and engage the sear after it is pulled with the safety on. (everybody does it) The failure with this system is that if tolerances are such or the slightest bit of debris finds it's way into the trigger housing, the trigger will fail to reset and engage the sear.

Remington uses a device they call a trigger connector. This a piece of flat steel over the trigger and only the edge of the steel connector engages the sear notch. This connector is held against the trigger with a small spring.

After the trigger is pulled only slightly (with the safety off) this connector disengages from the sear notch and is forced forward away from the sear by sear spring force, against the small spring holding it. This allows a "crisp" trigger pull because the trigger only moved a small amount (no creep) and all the movement over a rough sear/connector notch is taken up by this forced movement of the sear connector. Sort of like we start the sear release then it has a mind of it's own and just goes! So...what would be a creepy trigger pull is a short, light, crisp trigger. That is until something goes wrong.

If the shooter has the safety engaged and pulls the trigger, the gun doesn't fire, all is well. But what happens at times is, the connector has just left the sear notch but the sear cannot fall because the safety is holding it up. Sear operating safety. Now all we have to do is take the safety off and BOOM!!! Big surprise! You can try this in the privace of your own shooting range, at home. Please unload your Remington first.

If all this sounds like a good trigger system to you, then by all means continue to buy Remington 700's if not....well I'm not trying to rain on Remington owners parade here.

I have been able to duplicate this many times. That is with many different Remington M700 rifles. It likely has to do with the ill mix of adjustments or mal-adjustments of the trigger.

I had a friend, (elementry school buddy) who carried a fully loaded M700, 270 Win in the back seat of his Chevy extended cab. His 16 year old son was standing beside the truck putting on his orange vest. Dad reaches back to lift the rifle over the seat, as he got out of the truck....... The round went through the side of the truck before striking his son in the chest.

Many things went wrong here.
    A rifle in the truck with a round in the chamber. DON"T DO IT!
    The muzzle was pointed at another person. DON"T DO IT!
    The rifle was picked up by grabbing at the shooting position of the stock.

We think he pushed the safety forward with the webb of his hand.
    We think the trigger was not pulled, not then anyway.
    We were able to duplicate the; pull the trigger, safety off, BOOM! (actually click) scenario many times. Eight of ten tries the gun would relaese the sear as the safety was taken off. The rifle was sent to Remington to "examine for defects" After my examination of it. "The trigger mechanism was improperly adjusted after it left the factory" was their finding.

After nine years it cost the big green three point four, with a capitol "M".

No way to bring back a son and no reprieve from gross negligence. The shooter took his own life some years after the incident.

Is Remington a player in this? I think so. Good gun handling skills will compensate for the shoddiest of equipment, everytime. The reverse can never be true. No mechanical device can ever compensate for incompetance or negligence. A good shooter with inferior equipment will trump a poor shooter with the best rifle in the in the world.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Default THAT's IT!!!

If the shooter has the safety engaged and pulls the trigger, the gun doesn't fire, all is well. But what happens at times is, the connector has just left the sear notch but the sear cannot fall because the safety is holding it up. Sear operating safety. Now all we have to do is take the safety off and BOOM!!! Big surprise! You can try this in the privace of your own shooting range, at home. Please unload your Remington first.

THAT's it exactly... I have "Safely" re-created what you have described. AND NO - I DO NOT LIKE IT!!! Won't carry, use or even load the gun until I can get it fixed...

What are my options? And who would you recommend?

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

I've heard about this before. Murphy's description of the Rem. Safety problem, and I consider it a problem, was the best I've ever heard. I have two Rem. 700s, and have never had any problem, but since learning of this about 2 years ago I'm been very wary.

I seldom use the safety, because I don't carry a rifle with a round in the chamber anyway. Nevertheless, I recently, had my gunsmith CLEAN, and readjust the triggers on both of my 700 rifles anyway. He will not adjust one without cleaning it also.

That's been my solution. Getting them taken care of properly, and extra caution.
    Smitty of the North