Thread: 329 PD ammo questions

Default 329 PD ammo questions

Found a used 329 PD this weekend and couldn't help myself. After reading all the threads here, I've decided to send it to S&W for an action job and porting. I'll also be ordering some Hogue grips for it.

I've been told by some that the best factory ammo for it is Federal 300 gr HC going 1050 FPS. I was told that was about the hottest ammo I should shoot in this gun. Anybody have another opinion? Also, looking at Corbon, they have a load that is 320 gr HC at 1175 FPS. Looks like a similar load, and the box says they follow SAMMI. Any worries with this load?

Any help would be appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by roknjs View Post
    Found a used 329 PD this weekend and couldn't help myself. After reading all the threads here, I've decided to send it to S&W for an action job and porting. I'll also be ordering some Hogue grips for it.

I've been told by some that the best factory ammo for it is Federal 300 gr HC going 1050 FPS. I was told that was about the hottest ammo I should shoot in this gun. Anybody have another opinion? Also, looking at Corbon, they have a load that is 320 gr HC at 1175 FPS. Looks like a similar load, and the box says they follow SAMMI. Any worries with this load?

Any help would be appreciated.
    i switched out the hogue grips on mine, and installed pachmayr (enclosed backstrap) that for me were better. s & w offeres their grip for the .500 that also fits well, and improves handshock.

as to the ammo....s & W to me to shoot any factory load that i could handle, as the gun was built tough to last. with the lifetime warranty, it is hard to argue that. for MY level of comfort, i shoot a hardcast leadhead bullet (225-300gr) @ 950-1000fps. penetration is great, and recoil is pleasant.
    happy trails.
    jh

I've heard that the best factory ammos for the 329 are the ones that are designed specifically for it. The only ones I know about are Buffalo Bore's 255 gr hardcasts and Garrett Cartridge's 310 gr "defender". It's not the pressure that you have to worry about; if you shoot loads that are too powerful, it can cause the ammo to jump their crimp.

I haven't fired the 329, but after handling one in the store I couldn't see myself shooting anything but specials through one. Porting does sound like a good idea, as would getting the same grip that Hogue makes for the x-frames.
    Tsimshian tribe, wolf clan, the house of Walsk.

I have a 329pd the recoil is mild with x-frame grips. I took them off my 500 and they fit like a glove. now i changed to crimsom trace hog hunter grip. the back strap is exposed but better than the the wood. I use the buffalo bore 255 gr keith. You will like this gun the more you carry it.

Default Where'd you hear that?

[quote=Wolfeye;449936]I've heard that the best factory ammos for the 329 are the ones that are designed specifically for it. The only ones I know about are Buffalo Bore's 255 gr hardcasts and Garrett Cartridge's 310 gr "defender". It's not the pressure that you have to worry about; if you shoot loads that are too powerful, it can cause the ammo to jump their crimp...quote]

These concerns are always worth raising. This pistol and concerns about its structural materials or design arise frequently. It gets plenty of play on AOD and it will be interesting to read the responses. I've been pleased since buying mine 5 yrs or so ago. In threads I've read that have come up about this gun, I haven't seen a concern about using factory ammo (unless the cartridge was too long for the chamber) or the gun's construction validated. I am no expert, but there are many satisfied owners of the 329PD - most who appreciate it as a great "carry" gun they feel meets their requirements.

There was a long thread that suspected an individual pistol, but then I thought the consensus was that box of ammo suspect maybe:
    http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...332#post301332

The next link included these comments:

"Don't shoot heavy loads in this gun for several reasons.
    1. The brass has a tendency to stick badly in that Titanium cylinder.
    2. Due to the light weight and the recoil generated, it is quite likely that you could cause a bullet to "jump crimp" and lock up your gun.
    3. You will freaking break the gun. I've seen a bunch of them come back to the dealer for just that reason.
    4. You will freaking void your warranty. Contact Smith on that one if you are skeptical."

from http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/showthread.php?t=25693

My experience has been that if you shoot much 44 Spec ammo, the shorter casing will leave a collar of residue that might slow ejection of longer 44Mag shells. After shooting a box at a time of 44 Spec then 1/2 box of 44Mags per range session, then cleaning the gun at home, I have not personally experienced this problem.

Regarding the other posted comments, I asked Smith & Wesson:
    1. Will shooting this load void my warranty?
    2. Have there been "break the gun" issues with heavy factory loads?
    Page 2 includes response/info from Smith & Wesson
    http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/showthread.php?t=25693&page=2

And here's an article about the definition of +P ammo:
    http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ad.php?t=34491

It's not always fun to shoot this pistol. I've been shopping a Redhawk to do more shooting, but not because of any fault of the gun. I believe you can carry and shoot any factory ammo that meets SAAMIE specs in this pistol. Just that not everyone enjoys it.

Be interesting to see what others have to say. Let us know what you find out and thanks for posting this.