Thread: Remember the grizz/polar hybrid? TV show on Nat Geo.

Default Remember the grizz/polar hybrid? TV show on Nat Geo.

FYI...

Saw the program tonight on National Geographic. Like other Nat Geo shows, it should be on several times this week. Not sure about listings for others as I am on the east coast. But thought I would make mention of it. A one hour show that talked with fish and game, the hunter, the guide, geneticist, and others involved with the grizz/polar bear that was killed in arctic Canada in 2006. Interesting show. It was titled "Mystery Bear of the Arctic".
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

It seems everyone has forgot they were breeding this cross in zoos 60 years ago.Probably goes on more than we think,same with brown and black bears in the upper S.E.

Some reference was made to the breeding of a grizz and a polar bear in captivity. But it was like 1870 or something. A very irresponsible project and sounds like they did it just to use the animal as a freak exhibit in a traveling circus. This was a common occcurence back then with many animals from what I heard on the show.

Based on the info in the show, this was supposedely the first time that a brown bear and polar bear have mixed in the wild. Ironically it showed that in the rare cases where grizz and polar are in the same area, the polar bears are afraid of the smaller grizz and they run off. There was some video footage from Barrow or Kaktovik (or similar) on this show. It showed the grizz walking up on a whale carcass and two MUCH larger polar bears running off. Surprised me.
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Default Polar Bear Guide.

I personally know the Guide , Roger. In fact spoke with him by phone a month ago and emailed with his wife last week.

Default Next Sunday

Quote Originally Posted by danattherock View Post
    FYI...

Saw the program tonight on National Geographic. Like other Nat Geo shows, it should be on several times this week. Not sure about listings for others as I am on the east coast. But thought I would make mention of it. A one hour show that talked with fish and game, the hunter, the guide, geneticist, and others involved with the grizz/polar bear that was killed in arctic Canada in 2006. Interesting show. It was titled "Mystery Bear of the Arctic".
    Thanks for the heads up. I set the DVR to record it next Sunday.
    Everything that lives and moves will be food for you.
    Genesis 9:3

Default Bothersome

I saw the program. They may have overblown the possibility of the guide and hunter being cited for shooting a grizzly out of season. But I can not understand how anyone could have even thought of citing them for shooting a white bear in polar bear habitat. Even their experts said that the cross never happens. So how could they expect either guide or hunter to know that the white bear they were shooting at in the arctic over 200 yards away might not be a polar bear? It just creates an "us vs. them" mentality between hunters and law enforcement.
    I was glad that no charges were filed. Even so my wife had a good laugh at me yelling at the TV!
    Patrick

I agree, I cannot believe they even thought about charging the guy... he shot a white bear on a polar bear hunt after his guide confirmed the shot.

Jason

The guy that shot it lives just a few miles from me. I was hoping to see the bear on display somewhere so I called the local Cabela's shortly after the story hit the news and they said they had never heard of such a thing. I'm still waiting to see it on display somewhere.

From what I saw on the show, it is on display at the guys house. He made reference to this at the very end of the show.

Like others, I was pissed at the way the Fish and Game folks up there treated this guy. A WHITE BEAR in polar bear country?? What else could it be? The native guide said at 300 yards (where the shot was taken) that he thought it was a polar bear. If an experienced guide can't tell the difference, who could? Lots of BS there and I don't have any travel plans to Canada anytime soon. This (and many other) reports suggest it is more hassle than it is worth. If Alaska falls off into the ocean, maybe. But not until then will I think of it.

Has anyone ever seen a nova program on this? I am not talking about the white/albino black bear nova program.. I swear there was one on polar/grizzly types.

I remember someone from the kodiak area who lived there in the 50's (I am going off memory) who said that there was a polar bear there and a grizzly that mated. Does anyone know or have head of that story?

I believe "pizzly's" have been around a while longer then people realize. But that is my opinion.
    No amount of education can help those who want to remain permanently ignorant of facts, which includes those whom have been educated.

If my biology is correct, Polar Bears branched and decended from Brown Bears......read that somewhere......

Hey , its cold and lonely in the Arctic sometimes....
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

Crossing of bears will happen just like when wild horses bred with wild donkeys.They bred cows and buffalo and great danes with poddles so a griz and polar hooking up just has to take place.Kinda like when trees and mushrums crossed and gave us greenies

I read somewhere( got a mind like a steel sieve these days) that the brown bears of the ABC islands in Southeast are genetically closer to polar bears than other brown bears. Isn't Nature awesome?

Default anything to share?

Quote Originally Posted by Steveo View Post
    I personally know the Guide , Roger. In fact spoke with him by phone a month ago and emailed with his wife last week.
    Just making a comment like this doesn't tell us much. What did you learn from him that you can share with us?