Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 74" Alaskan-Yukon Moose

Default 74" Alaskan-Yukon Moose

Here's a dandy bull!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "The days a man spends fishing or spends hunting should not be deducted from the time he's on earth. " Theodore Roosevelt

Very NICE......

That is a really big bull. Anyone have any specifics on the hunt or the hunter? I wager that bull would place very high in any of the books, if the hunter chose to enter it.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

What a great looking bull!!!

Wow, great Moose.

Default Nice!

That's an exceptional bull, Romo! Any idea on the story behind it?

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Default Wow!

What an animal! Congratulations to the hunter.

Impressive looking animal !

Man..you throw down a pic with no background? We need some details!
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Here's a story: The moose in the picture was the progeny of several transplant moose in a new federal fish and game program dedicated to proving that there is indeed a moose behind every bush. The program was started in 2006 when several Alaskan-Yukon Moose were darted and air-lifted from Moose River for transportation and re-location in marshes of South Louisiana. Since that time, the Louisiana moose population remains stable but is now being threatened by non-residents who have petitioned for a waiver of the guide requirement to hunt moose in Louisiana. The waiver is being pushed by many Alaskan residents who argue for waiver that the moose rightfully belong to Alaska, however, Louisiana officials have declined to initiate a waiver program since Alaska does not have reciprocity for their fish and game laws.

Pictured with the 74" record book moose is as ole' time Cajun and South Louisiana resident, Boudreaux, cousin to Thibodeaux, who was reported as saying, "Mais, if dem Alaskan boys wants to get a chance at a big un like dis then des gonna have to hires demselves a guide like we does for dem bears and sheeps. If deys don't wants to share then why does we?"

ALL JOKING ASIDE...I cut and paste the photo from Pristine Ventures message board where it was reported that the moose was shot in a "Secret Spot". Some talk suggest that this may be the moose hanging in Soldotna Hardware.
    "The days a man spends fishing or spends hunting should not be deducted from the time he's on earth. " Theodore Roosevelt

Default Um... thanks for the story.....

Quote Originally Posted by Romo View Post
    Here's a story: The moose in the picture was the progeny of several transplant moose in a new federal fish and game program dedicated to proving that there is indeed a moose behind every bush. The program was started in 2006 when several Alaskan-Yukon Moose were darted and air-lifted from Moose River for transportation and re-location in marshes of South Louisiana. Since that time, the Louisiana moose population remains stable but is now being threatened by non-residents who have petitioned for a waiver of the guide requirement to hunt moose in Louisiana. The waiver is being pushed by many Alaskan residents who argue for waiver that the moose rightfully belong to Alaska, however, Louisiana officials have declined to initiate a waiver program since Alaska does not have reciprocity for their fish and game laws.

Pictured with the 74" record book moose is as ole' time Cajun and South Louisiana resident, Boudreaux, cousin to Thibodeaux, who was reported as saying, "Mais, if dem Alaskan boys wants to get a chance at a big un like dis then des gonna have to hires demselves a guide like we does for dem bears and sheeps. If deys don't wants to share then why does we?"

ALL JOKING ASIDE...I cut and paste the photo from Pristine Ventures message board where it was reported that the moose was shot in a "Secret Spot". Some talk suggest that this may be the moose hanging in Soldotna Hardware.
    Romo,

Well, that was not the story I was looking for, but it certainly was "a story"!

The "secret spot" you mentioned, would that be the spot on the shoulder area, the spine, or down near the heart? I have taken moose in one or more of those areas before, but I'll never tell which. I don't want anyone shooting moose in my "secret spot".

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Thumbs up

Sign me up!

Romo, are you the gentleman who hunts with the famous Fideaux? I've heard that dog can find more ducks than you can shake a stick at.
    Y'all spell cajun purdy good.
    Art is making something out of nothing and selling it.
    - Frank Zappa

Here's THE story on the moose...

Jack Croft took the bull in 2002 and it measures 74". This was the largest moose taken in the Yukon in 2002. He was guided by Blackstone Outfitters.

Romo, your first story was much funnier! Good one!

John L. Croft
    Alaskan Yukon Moose

Ogilvie River Yukon Territory

Net B&C Score 240 6/8
    Greatest Spread (final after 60 day drying period) 72 4/8"

Length of right palm 44 6/8"
    Length of left palm 46 5/8"

Width of right palm 19 4/8"
    Width of left palm 16 4/8"

Number of points Right 17
    Number of points left 15

Official entry in the Boone & Crockett Club's 25th Big Game Awards.

There you have it.

Greatest Spread (final after 60 day drying period) 72 4/8"
    Was going to say, no way that thing is 74".

Default Great bull he was an awsome bull

Here's a dandy bull!
    he was even more impresive on the ground and the day he was shot he was a touch over 74 inches the horns off the skull weighed 102 lbs gross grean score was 256 inches and Jack if you read this all the brow beating in the world cant take that day away from us Cherish the moments take care Kirk

Here's a dandy bull!
    Yep, but it's actually a Yukon-Alaska moose! Was taken over here a few years ago.

Ted

As far as character goes, I still like this one better.....

People that want to shoot moose that size are sadists. My old man shot a 44" last year and it almost killed both of us. If I ever see a moose that big, I'm throwing my bullets away. I want nothing to do with packing out a moose that size!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast