Thread: 338 edge

Default 338 edge

just wondering if any one had the chamber dimensions of the 338 edge? also do you start out with 338 ultra and ream it out or use something else?

Here ya go. http://longrangehunting.com/articles/338-edge-1.php

There are some sweet rifles!

-Jay

Nope. Start with a .300 Ultra and open it up to .338. The .338 Ultra is a smaller case than the .300 Ultra. The edge is a little bigger than a .338 Lapua and slings 300 grainers real fast. It is definitley the best choice for extreme long range (practically), just under the 50 cal. But if one already had a .338 ultra or a .338 Lapua, then the gains would be negligable, and it wouldnt be worth changing to.

With the EDGE, you gain about 100 fps, give or take over the Rum or Lapua shooting a 300 SMK. If I had the choice, I would go with the the Lapua for the superior brass. If it was a build I would consider a 338 Lapua Imp, which could get better results than the EDGE if 200 fps is worth the effort?

They can all give a good thumping way down range.

I would think one would want to start out with a 338 RUM, then you would only have to spin the barrel one thread and have it rechambered. If you used a 300 RUM one would have to purchase a new barrel...unless that is what you wanted to do. The 338 edge is only slightly bigger than the 338 RUM - essentially a 300 RUM necked up to a 338. You might want to look at the 338 Norma which is supposed to exceed the ballistics of the 338 Lapua. There is not much info avail it is so new - Google it or check out the Norma web site. Like the 338 Lapua, it was developed as a sniper round.

thanks for the info. i already own a 300 rum but have no intention on changing it soon since it shoots very well. however a friend is looking to get an edge but could not find too much info. he was wanting to stay with the 338 cal. why wouldnt one be able to take a 338 rum and lengthen the chamber since it is still a 338. i would agree that the 300 would have to be bored out. also for loading ammo can you still use the 338 rum dies or would you have to go custom? we are just trying to pool resources now before he commits.

Quote Originally Posted by linger27 View Post
    thanks for the info. i already own a 300 rum but have no intention on changing it soon since it shoots very well. however a friend is looking to get an edge but could not find too much info. he was wanting to stay with the 338 cal. why wouldnt one be able to take a 338 rum and lengthen the chamber since it is still a 338. i would agree that the 300 would have to be bored out. also for loading ammo can you still use the 338 rum dies or would you have to go custom? we are just trying to pool resources now before he commits.
    You could probably bore out the chamber, but just dont accidentally put any 3338 RUM ammo into it because you might have a headspace issue.

You will need custum dies.

For me, not worth it. I would go with the the Lapua and the Norma sounds interesting, but the Lapua brass is better than Norma, which is good.

JM $.02

I've got a .338 Edge, and as far as wildcats go, it's pretty user friendly. I use .300 Ultra brass and simply resize it in a regular .338 Ultra die, backed off accordingly. I don't have custom dies. A properly-adjusted .338 Ultra die has worked just fine.

I've been running RL-25 powder & Fed 215M's with 225gr Accubonds and TSX's. I started with the max load data for the .338 Ultra, and worked up from there. I settled on a load that gives me very nice groups, and just shy of 3250 fps.

Starting from scratch, I would just buy a factory .338 RUM and call it good. The plain-jane RUM offers a nice avenue in which to conduct business. But, if I were sitting on a donor and had the itch to build, there's nothing wrong with the Edge chambering. A Wyatt's mag box will give you a little more wiggle room to play with seating depth with heavy bullets. Mine shoots the 225's just fine when seated within the constraints of the factory mag box, so I didn't bother getting one.

As for the .338 Lapua, I never felt the need to pay $3 a piece for my brass. I'm just weird that way.

[QUOTE]
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan in Alaska View Post
    I don't have custom dies. A properly-adjusted .338 Ultra die has worked just fine.
    Do you full length size?

I haven't needed to FL size. I use the regular .338 Ultra die to size the neck, and bump the shoulder, which is how I size cases for all my bolt action rifles. After several firings, the cases still chamber smoothly and without issue.

If I ever felt the need to FL size the Edge cases, I could probably get the job done with a FL .375 Ultra die.

How would a 300RUM body die and a 338 neck sizer work for neck sizing with an occasional full length size when needed?

I would bump the 338 edge and for a 338-378.
    375 Ruger Hawkeye...Mice to Moose, Impala to Buffalo....1 GUN.....WORLDS PURSUIT