Thread: Drift Boat "chain" Anchors

Default Drift Boat "chain" Anchors

While watching a fly fishing program on TV this morning I noticed that the drift boat anchor was a large "knot" of chain instead of the traditional pyramid style anchor. I have seen the spiked cylinder style before but not the chain. Have any of you used this style of anchor? It may have been more like a dozen or more 12" lengths of heavy chain on a "D" ring than a knot attached to the regular anchor system like a traditional pyramid would be. Wonder how something like this would work in the Kenai?

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskan Fly Guy View Post
    While watching a fly fishing program on TV this morning I noticed that the drift boat anchor was a large "knot" of chain instead of the traditional pyramid style anchor. I have seen the spiked cylinder style before but not the chain. Have any of you used this style of anchor? It may have been more like a dozen or more 12" lengths of heavy chain on a "D" ring than a knot attached to the regular anchor system like a traditional pyramid would be. Wonder how something like this would work in the Kenai?

I have not seen anything like that on the Kenai. My guess is there is a reason for it. I saw the show you are talking about and did think the same thing as you. I like you would like to know if anyone is using one and how it performs.
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

Default seen them

Guys use them on the Kenai too, I cant speak to there effectiveness.

Wow I actually get to contribute to this site instead of just take, take take! I have to say I am very happy to actually contribute. Here in the midwest we run them (chain anchors) on about 25% of the boats, more so on the rivers with a lot of rocks or a lot of lumber. The reason for using them is they hardly ever get hung up. Some guys will get chain with each link weighing about 2 pounds and run around 30-40 pounds of it. On my Hyde I run regular heavy duty chain and cut it into 10 inch pieces and then simply attatch them with chain link connectors from the hardware store. Careful on the length so it does not drag in the water when you are moving, hard to row up/across the river when the anchor is dragging in the water. As for how they actually work they do not work as a well as a pyramid or anchor with spikes as the chain slides on the bottum for a bit before stopping if the current is moving. But if the river had LOTS of big rocks or lumber all over it is the best way to go! PS - I thought I read somewhere that it was illegal to drag an anchor (which I do all the time here as it is very easy to slow the drift down when the anchor is just ticking the bottum) on the Kenai as it rips up the beds? Hope this helps.

One more thought, I have heard the Kenai really moves. If you try to anchor in the middle of all that the chain would dissapoint you, however if you are only anchoring off to the side somewhere it should be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by chitownflyfisher View Post
    One more thought, I have heard the Kenai really moves. If you try to anchor in the middle of all that the chain would dissapoint you, however if you are only anchoring off to the side somewhere it should be fine.

The Kenai can and does move. More so in the summer months than in the fall. If your in the main channel very few "boats" will be anchored up. Most pull to the side and let thier people fish. It gets narrow in the fall and if you do get a grip in the one main channel your gonna hear about it from the fellow boaters who have to try to get around you. Common sense goes a long way. I have a 20lb havy anchor on the back of my raft. I can anchor pretty much anywhere. I dont use it very often. Usually im pulled over to a big gravel bar and use the anchor to toss up high on the shore just to be safe. If I do drop anchor it is on some slower slack water to allow June to fish a certain drift she likes.
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

Here are few pics. of a chain anchor on the Kenai

Klickman
    Attached Images Attached Images