Thread: DIY Goat Hunt

Question DIY Goat Hunt

I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice on some areas to where I can do a Hike In DIY hunt for Goat. Put in for a few areas, but like many others came up unsuccessful. I'm currently in Anchorage and mainly looking for info on areas that I can drive to and then hike in. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Johnny

Quote Originally Posted by jfreeze1981 View Post
    I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice on some areas to where I can do a Hike In DIY hunt for Goat. Put in for a few areas, but like many others came up unsuccessful. I'm currently in Anchorage and mainly looking for info on areas that I can drive to and then hike in. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Johnny
    Drive to the Airport, hop on a plane and Fly to a registration hunt. If you want to do it cheap and easy, you moved to the wrong state my friend. Save your dividends and good luck.

If you're a certified bowhunter you might have one option, otherwise all road system goat hunting is drawing permit only. Sometimes they will open up over the counter registration permit hunts in November if there remains a harvestable surplus after the drawing season, but that hasn't happened much in recent years. If you're willing to spring for a boat or airplane charter, you might have a few reasonable options.

Not neccessarily trying to do it cheap, just trying to cut cost if I can. Since, boat and plane would be my only options, would you guys be willing to share a little info?

Default Help

My friend.....I'm afraid these kind folks are helping you.....it's just not what you want to hear.

Do you have your Bow hunters Certification card? Thats a start....
    You could probably get one before hunting season with some $$$$$ and hard work.

Unit 4 is probably one of the best units for registration goat although once you get into town you'll still want a boat to get back into the wilderness where the goats thrive.

Good luck I hope you roll one.

theres a couple hike in areas near valdez....
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Thumbs up

Thanks for the info guys! I appreciate it.

My hike in is now a drawing hunt. Unless they open a late registration hunt goats may be totally off my list.
    BHA Member
    Bowyer to the forces of light in the land of the midnight sun.
    The 3 fold way: Every step we take as we walk through life effects, our family, our comunity and ourselves. One should walk thoughtfuly.

Yeah Rick, I thought of you as soon as I saw that happen There is still plenty of alpine bear hunting to do back there though. Perhaps if we get the bears thinned out a bit you will have a decent chance at harvesting a moose again!

Dude your reading my mind!

Really is a bummer about the goat hunt, I find it hard to understand the switch, lots of Goats back there and I was one of 2 folks who signed up for the hunt.
    BHA Member
    Bowyer to the forces of light in the land of the midnight sun.
    The 3 fold way: Every step we take as we walk through life effects, our family, our comunity and ourselves. One should walk thoughtfuly.

On a positive note I now have an extra 10 days to hunt sheep and black bears thanks to the BOG pushing back the moose season in unit 14! That is bad news for the bears on your side of the river! <grin>

Default cordova

Hook up with a transporter from Cordova. Commercial service from ANC to Mudhole. You can probably get a goat for $1200 or so, but I haven't checked on this in a few years. However, I might be doing it again this fall.
    Otherwise, Kenai drawing permit for walk in goat. I shot mine within sight of the Seward lights.