Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: sled and hitch?

Default sled and hitch?

I'm trying to find a decent cargo sled and "universal" hitch for under $200. Any ideas?

I'm not going to be hauling anything but camping gear, ice fishing gear, and maybe (hopefully) game quarters and hides... nothing really heavy.

Thanks for your help!

Sportsman's Warehouse.

I have one I have been considering selling. It is a 6' long tub sled. About 30" wide. I'm leaving town tomorrow though. If you are still looking for one next week send me a PM. I'm leaving town tomorrow for the trip to Dawson City.

Default Basket sled!

Try a Pendal Hitch or as we call it a J hitch. Get one in the Noatak Native store for $35.

Sleds? Go with a hand made hickory Basket Sled. Mine is 12 feet long and will carry anything you want, Weighs almost nothing, easy to pull and tough as nails! Looks like a big dog sled with a long hitch. Photo attached!

Walt
    Northwest Alaska Back Country Rentals
    Kotzebue Alaska
    www.northwestalaska.com
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default You mean...

Quote Originally Posted by northwestalska View Post
    Try a Pendal Hitch or as we call it a J hitch. Get one in the Noatak Native store for $35.

Sleds? Go with a hand made hickory Basket Sled. Mine is 12 feet long and will carry anything you want, Weighs almost nothing, easy to pull and tough as nails! Looks like a big dog sled with a long hitch. Photo attached!

Walt
    Northwest Alaska Back Country Rentals
    Kotzebue Alaska
    www.northwestalaska.com
    ... you can find a hickory basket sled for under $200? Now that would be a bargain!

Talking Well.... No

You can build one for about $500. I guess i was just showing off how we do it up here and adding my pic.

You got me!

Walt

Watch Graigslist and 907bigboytoys, I have seen several in the last week or so.

And maybe put a WTB add in the classifieds, ya might find a few folks that have been thinking of selling, but just haven't been motivated to advertise.

Parachute cord and an orange plastic sled. Total cost: $17.95.

NWAK: That's a really nice sled! Unfortunately I don't have the talent, time, or budget for such a work of art. Beautiful craftsmanship!

AK_Kid: I tried that setup but all my moonshine broke when the durn sled smashed into the back of my snow-go going down a hill

oakman: PM inbound

Thanks.

Default Snowmachine Sled

Not even close to 200 or even 500 bucks, but these are great sleds. Independent suspension to keep your eggs whole and your beer ready-to-open.

Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Who is building those? Mikes in Sterling?

Needs a gas can rack in the tongue.

The fab shop south of Soldotna off Gaswell. He's been building this variety for many years and they are very nice. And they can have anything a guy wants as far as gas can racks, etc. I don't think he's ever built 2 the exact same way as they are all custom and made by special order.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Default like this...

build one from wood, 2 pieces of 2x6 about 6-8 feet long, however long you want it, slides or thick 1/2 inch pvc pipe to put under the skis, measure the ski-width of your sno-go and make the ply-wood for the sled that wide, usually about 3 feet, 2x4's same width as the ply-wood, make the last foot and a half or so of the front of the sled at a 50 degree angle. and so on and so fourth.

for the hitch, find angle-irons and weld them together. bolt it on your tunnel, drill a hole in the middle and you got a hitch, be creative. somthing like that.

This thread came back from the grave...

Since last year I upgraded to a 09 SD Tundra w/ hitch and size L Otter sled w/ hyfax runners.

Should work well for my purposes as I'm not hauling heavy loads/

Quote Originally Posted by zeb View Post
    This thread came back from the grave...
    There are no "graves" around here. Just doing my part to save the environment by recycling threads!
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Default Otter sleds

Are garbage. They will break especially when the temps get low. If you spend the money and re line the bottom with a piece of UMHW, it will last a long time, but if you don't, they will break. I have owned 4 of them, as I kept returning them from Sportsman's. I finally added a sheet of UMHW to the bottom and they last from Christmas to spring this past year. Built our own Siglin type sleds, so won't have to worry about breaking sleds anymore.

Get a pintle/J hook for a hitch.

JOAT, definitely no graves around here...that was a mere mild thread dig.

Those sleds look nice. My question would be how would they do in the deep snow. Not a lot of surface area for flotation. We've hauled some pretty good loads in powder and even the sleds with lots of surface area on the bottom drag ya down pretty good...

There is no pull sled that will work in all conditions. If you want a pull sled for soft snow and heavy load, make it long and narrow or have two sleds in series.

I built the perfect sled for south central. When I took it to Nome I found there is a better design for the coast.

If you’re looking for a big pull sled I’m selling one on Craigslist.

http://anchorage.craigslist.org/spo/1473257111.html

Moose, I changed your link to the actual listing. Your original link was to manage the listing, which I didn't think you'd want people to access

Where's the pics?!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast