Thread: Going to load some stout rounds in my glock

Default Going to load some stout rounds in my glock

Well my shipment of Montan Gold 200 grainers arrived. Im thinking of making some warm loads with them using AA #9. Not wanting to beat the snot out of my pistol, do you think I should switch to a stouter spring before firing these?

Quote Originally Posted by rimfirematt View Post
    Well my shipment of Montan Gold 200 grainers arrived. Im thinking of making some warm loads with them using AA #9. Not wanting to beat the snot out of my pistol, do you think I should switch to a stouter spring before firing these?
    I'm assuming a G20 here? Many will tell you to get a heavier spring. I have not done this and have shot at least 1000 max loads through mine without a problem. My concern is that changing springs affects the guns timing.

I have not found AA 9 to deliver best performance in the 10mm. Pressure rises too fast. In my opinion best powders for 10mm in order are N105, 3N38 and 800x.

If you are going to play with very hot max loads I'd suggest a aftermarket barrel to give you that little extra margin of safety.

Yeah G20. Not really hot Loads. Just the ones that are at the max that are published in my manual.

Glocks function correctly right out of the box. Do not change anything.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

you beating the snot out of a "glock"? not likely. but even those listed in your manual are pretty stout avg. 1200fps or so...? may want to go to a 22# wolff.
    It is all I shoot out of my G20....200grn. Hardcast plus 10grns 800x with a KKM 6"bbl or the factory stock bbl. now and again...but keep the bore clean when shooting lead boolits even if they are quality lubed and very well made example: Beartooth bullet or Montana Bullets.

Yeah G20. Not really hot Loads. Just the ones that are at the max that are published in my manual.
    That's actually what we call hot loads there, Matt, but no reason to change out springs or anything else. Just hold tight and focus on the front sight.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

WOW. I just stumbled on a great load for my glock. 200 grain Montana Gold TMJ's, 13.2 grains of AA #9, COL 2.258.

At 10 yards they were about putting them all in the same hole.

In my first magazine I had one empty fail to eject. Maybe I had some oil or solvent in the chamber? I had to get a punch and push the case out. It was pretty stuck in there. And looking at the wall of the chamber there is a smudge looking spot. That was the only hickup though.

The empties looked just fine.

there was some good recoil and concusion from that load!

Jack49 you might want to check this thread out concerning AA9 http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/showthread.php?t=48871

Jack49 you might want to check this thread out concerning AA9 http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/showthread.php?t=48871

All I can tell you is that I get 1380 fps with a 180 grain gold dot and 3N38 and 1200 from 200 gr Hornady XTP using N105 in a G20 with a KKM barrel. No pressure signs or messed up cases and minimal muzzle flash. When working up these loads 3 or 4 years ago I couldn't get anywhere near that with AA#9. These powders also don't suffer from temperature variations. Have been shooting them for 4 years with the stock spring and no problems. The Glock can take a lot without a problem. AA#9 is a fine powder, just not optimal for the 10mm, in my opinion.

WOW. I just stumbled on a great load for my glock. 200 grain Montana Gold TMJ's, 13.2 grains of AA #9, COL 2.258.

At 10 yards they were about putting them all in the same hole.

In my first magazine I had one empty fail to eject. Maybe I had some oil or solvent in the chamber? I had to get a punch and push the case out. It was pretty stuck in there. And looking at the wall of the chamber there is a smudge looking spot. That was the only hickup though.

The empties looked just fine.

there was some good recoil and concusion from that load!

Jack49 you might want to check this thread out concerning AA9 http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ad.php?t=48871
    there is stout, and there is STOUT. the glocks are designed to handle even high-powered european machinegun ammunition, and so it is unlikely that you will overload the case. still........it's always wise to follow a current handloading manual. top (published) loads will be a breeze. as a glock armorer i have never seen a duty pistol overloaded. period.
    happy trails.
    jh