Thread: Greenhouse Poly film ?'s

Default Greenhouse Poly film ?'s

My wife and I want to build a small greenhouse or coldframes for our expanded crisis garden. I'm having a terrible time locating the 6ml or any other greenhouse film here in Anchorage. Will it come in seasonally? I've seen it online but I don't want to spend 150-200$ for a huge roll. Also if anyone has leads on used greenhouse panels, lumber, or wood fencing please shoot me a pm. Thanks

Default greenhouse film

Check at the greenhouse supply place accross from weld air in wasilla. I just bought some there.

I would just use heavy clear plastic. It does work.
    No amount of education can help those who want to remain permanently ignorant of facts, which includes those whom have been educated.

Default Thanks

I'll defiantly check the place in Wasilla. If possible I'm gonna stick with the UV resistant poly.

Quote Originally Posted by MidnightSunRebel View Post
    I'll defiantly check the place in Wasilla. If possible I'm gonna stick with the UV resistant poly.
    If you can't find it, or it's to pricey, one way you can extend the life of the plastic you use on your greenhouse, it to take it down over the winter.

My neighbors have a 6ml poly covered greenhouse and do this. The plastic drapes over the frame, wraps over the ends like you wrap a present with wrapping paper and lays on the ground. They use some small spruce timbers to weight it down. It keeps the snow load off the plastic and keep the UV exposure down during the winter time when the sheeting doesn't need to be used. I might mention that we don't get a whole lot of wind in east Talkeetna so wind could be a factor where you are.

Quote Originally Posted by upstream View Post
    If you can't find it, or it's to pricey, one way you can extend the life of the plastic you use on your greenhouse, it to take it down over the winter.
    That is definitely a good idea in addition to problems from the weather, we have had moose come through and tear ours up trying to get a bite to eat during the winter.
    If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction.
    Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Default Right on guys

The poly at far north in Wasilla was too expensive at around 250 for the roll. So 6ml. contractors poly it is. My frame should facilitate taking it off for the winter.

Quote Originally Posted by moose-head View Post
    That is definitely a good idea in addition to problems from the weather, we have had moose come through and tear ours up trying to get a bite to eat during the winter.
    I heard a rumor that if you hang Irish spring soap bars around the yard the moose wont come in and get your stuff.. I think I read that somewhere in this forum but cant remember..

Default was in the porky-plywood thread

[QUOTE]I heard a rumor that if you hang Irish spring soap bars around the yard the moose wont come in and get your stuff.. I think I read that somewhere in this forum but cant remember..
    QUOTE]

upinak posted that in the porky thread. I would still love to know how to stop those critters.
    I do have "irish spring" on my list for this year, I'll do my best to give it a try. I can't imagine a rodent or a moose caring one way or another.

I can tell you for sure that my ermine? love soap. We left a bar out for them this year so they would'nt have to bother opening a new one. (I wonder if they crap bubbles)
    I much rather have the ermine than the gray squirrels.
    I mean after all how many pine cones do i need packed into my rubber boots.

The full timer that used to own my place used that re-enforced visquine, the stuff with the fibers in it. It seems to have stood the test of time and after 5 or 6 years most of it is still in usable condition. all the raised beds still have this stuff stapled to the poles.

Quote Originally Posted by sluicebox View Post
    I heard a rumor that if you hang Irish spring soap bars around the yard the moose wont come in and get your stuff.. I think I read that somewhere in this forum but cant remember..
    That's too funny! If you drive to the medical center on Elmendorf AFB outside Anchorage you'll see lots of soap bars hanging from string on the ornamental trees lining the roadway by the hospital. I had often wondered if it really worked, but it must if the government is doing it, right?
    SJP - Wasilla, Alaska
    "There are some things money can buy. For everything else, there's ALASKA!"

Quote Originally Posted by MidnightSunRebel View Post
    My wife and I want to build a small greenhouse or coldframes for our expanded crisis garden. I'm having a terrible time locating the 6ml or any other greenhouse film here in Anchorage. Will it come in seasonally? I've seen it online but I don't want to spend 150-200$ for a huge roll. Also if anyone has leads on used greenhouse panels, lumber, or wood fencing please shoot me a pm. Thanks
    I have no greenhouse as of yet. But I do have a Costco steel rack with casters and a 4 mil visqueen "greenhouse." It will work until I can get most seedlings in the ground. I would like to keep my squash in it so I can black them out. It rolls inside so my plants don't get frost nipped and the cover comes off conveniently for ventilation. Works well so far.

There is greenhouse 6 and 8 MM panels on craigslist right now.

Default I decided to make a small recycled one

I made a post in the Do it yourself thread