Thread: Scope help

Red face Scope help

I have about $1100-1200 to spend on a new spotting scope. I cant make up my mind on which to buy, and I dont really have a ton of options to go out a try them out here in Fairbanks. Can anyone offer me thier opinions? I am looking at the following scopes:

Nikon Fieldscope III 60mm ED - $650

Leica Televid Rubber 62 w/26X Eyepiece - $849

Zeiss Diascope 65mm T FL Angled - Green w/15-45X eyepice - $1199
    (Does the LotuTec Model matter much?)

Leupold 12-40X60 Golden Ring HD - $1099

I will be using it for sheep hunting, so quality and durability is important, as well as weight! Let me hear your thoughts.

AKShawn

I am not really into the little pink face, but my 4 year old asked me to put it there...

Default Nikon for me

I have the Nikon Fieldscope. I used to have a zeiss 85mm. In my opinion the high end scopes are better, but the Nikon is not that far behind them and much cheaper. With the money saved on the spotter, you can also get a rangefinder or some other stuff.

If you are in Fairbanks, you can probably compare all or most of these at Sportsmans warehouse. I would try and check them out around the end of the day. They may let you bring them outside (with one of them close by for sure) and check them out in outdoor light.

They acutally let me do that with my new VX-3 that i bought over a Zeiss 3-9. They Leupold at dusk in the parking lot was just as clear (actually clearer) with better eye relief. They dont have most of these spotting scopes in stock, except for a bunch of Swarovskis which are just a few hundred above what I have priced. Thanks though!!

Wow interesting to hear that the leupy was brighter than the zeiss. I will have to check out the vx3. Curious if you tested them at higher powers?

My hunting partner has a zeiss scope and I have used it a few times in the field and that is the direction I am leaning. I like the fine/coarse adjust setup on it. The nikon has a great reputation and it has a shape that packs nicely but if I had the cash for the zeiss that is the way I would go.

I just didnt like the eye releif of the zeiss 3-9, compared to the Leupold. Thanks for the advice LuJon

Clarification on the 2nd half of my post. My hunting budy has a zeiss spotter, not a "rifle" scope

I kind of read into it and figured that was what you meant, but thanks for clearing. I bought a VX-3, so now I have moved on to the spotting scope. Thanks again!

I have a Zeiss 85 spotting scope and love it. Very bright and sharp. I have no experience with the other models you mentioned, so can't offer insights there. But I can not imagine anyone getting a Zeiss spotting scope and not loving it. Very high quality stuff. No question about that. B&H Photo/Video (famous site with photographers) sells the Zeiss scopes and all kinds of accesories/cases/etc...
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Thanks Dan! I was able to find a Zeiss 85mm today, and compared it to a Swarovski 65mm. The 85 was much clearer at power, but I assume that is because of the larger objective? I also looked at a Nikon Prostaff 65mm. It looked good at low power, but at high power is where the $$ mattered most.

I have the Leica 62 with the variable eye-piece. You won't be disappointed with any Leica product. I've compared the Leica and the Swaro side by side and would chose the Leica over the Swaro every time.

BTW, Camera Land NY has a Televid Rubber 62 Straight w/ 16-48x zoom eyepiece - NIB w/ lifetime passport warranty for $999.99...http://www.cameralandny.com/optics/site.pl?page=40113

I have this same set up except it's not the rubber version. I wouldn't trade it except for the new Televid 65 HD but at over $3K I can't justify giving up mine since I paid $850 a year or so ago.
    "The days a man spends fishing or spends hunting should not be deducted from the time he's on earth. " Theodore Roosevelt

Here's another lead Shawn...$700 for Televid 62...body only

http://www.pristineventures.com/cgi/...s,m=1234622322
    "The days a man spends fishing or spends hunting should not be deducted from the time he's on earth. " Theodore Roosevelt

I just ordered the Televid 62 Straight... I sure hope that I like it!!!

Of course you will.

Zeiss, Swarovski, and Leica are all top notch.

Consider a protective cover. Got a slick neoprene one for my Zeiss. Cheap insurance.
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Quote Originally Posted by danattherock View Post
    Of course you will.

Zeiss, Swarovski, and Leica are all top notch.

Consider a protective cover. Got a slick neoprene one for my Zeiss. Cheap insurance.
    +1, I bought one for my Zeiss as well. Does seem like cheap insurance.

I could be wrong, but the Liecas seem to already be well covered in this area due to the rubber coating on the model he bought.

But it is a probably a good thing for someone accident prone like myself.

Default Next questions

Any suggestions on a light weight compact tripod?
    AkShawn

I really like the velbon ultra luxi f shown above.

However, I have recently order the velbon ultra maxi f as it folds up slightly smaller and about and it is almost a pound lighter.

I am also going to trying out this as an ultra lightweight option and it still extends to where i can stand up and spot. I will test it out this summer to see if it will be robust enough. At $30 is a cheap test to see if it will work for the summer. I'll keep you posted on what I think about it.

Anyway just some options to look at

Default Pants

What kind of pants are you sporting next to your Zeiss Lanche?

Those would be the Sitka Mountain Pants. I like them a lot. Very comfortable and lightweight and dry fast. Recently bought the mammut champ pants and I believe I like them better and I generally don't dig camo look. No need for it really unless you are bow hunting IMO. I know you can get sitka in other noncamo colors but I was just wanting to give the champs a try. I honestly think I like the fit and finish on the champs over the mountain pants, but both are great pants in their own right, plus I have options now which is never a bad thing right