Thread: Nunivak Musk Ox Season Extension Request

Default Nunivak Musk Ox Season Extension Request

I put in a letter today to request an extension on the DX003 Musk Ox hunt. I spoke with the Boards Support section at Fish and Game and hopefully it will make its way through the ranks and they will extend the season. Anybody that is wanting the season to be extended can send me a pm and I can give you the contact information for the folks that I'm working with.

The reason I'm requesting the extension is because of the poor weather this season. My attempts to get to Bethel and Mekoryuk have failed, and because I was on the alternates list, getting me scheduled in with the transporter on the last several days will not happen. I've got a large deposit down with him, a pricy tag and now a few plane tickets, and I didn't even get to Mekoryuk. The transporter I booked with has tried to work things out, but the soonest that I can give it another attempt is around the 22nd-23rd of March.

The transporter said he would like to see a longer season, and he will put in a call to extend the season as well. I'm not sure how many other hunters are in the same boat as me, but hopefully we can make it work. Somebody needs to put in a proposal to lenthen the season for this hunt. The biologist said that they would be willing to have it start earlier, but they aren't too interested in extending it much beyond the 15th of March due to the cows getting closer to dropping calves and they don't want to stir up the herds with hunters.

Unfortunately, what was a dream come true by getting the tag has really become a burden. I'd drop the whole thing in a heartbeat if I didn't have so much invested in it, but I'm hoping for one last chance to get out there and do this hunt. I guess you win some and you lose some.

Response from the board...

If people want to send letters to the board about this, they can fax them to: 334-1024.
    I don't know when the board will consider this request, but the meeting will end on Monday so it will be by then.

Not sure I agree with extending a season due to bad weather,thats just one of the joys of Alaska!Should AK Peninsula Brown bear season run year around because the weather always sucks there? I dont think so .

My friend went out to the island last friday and just stopped by my house on his way home and showed me his big bull muskox.He said he meet several other hunters in town out there too.

Sounds like hunters are getting in and out,granted with delays.I dont think we should build hunting seasons around peoples personal schedules.

With that said I hope you make it out there and score on a Muskox.

They extended the season due to bad weather about 3-4 yrs ago. I drew a tag and called Bethel F&G to let them know I wouldn't be able to make it. They told me they extended the seaon two weeks due to bad weather not allowing flights into Merkoryuk. I set it up with Abe and glad I did, great hunt, great time. I was the last hunter to go in that year. Hope you get the extension.

The nunivak ox are on an island. They have to kill a certain number each year to prevent over population.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

trapperj, normally I would agree with you, but with this hunt it is a little different circumstances.

My issue is that they want a certain amount killed, so they go to extra efforts by holding tags on an alternates list. They call us up shortly before the season and ask us if we want a tag. By saying yes, you are put into a situation where you have to try to get a transporter to squeeze you in, and you don't have a very big window of time to work with. You end up spending thousands of dollars before even getting to the island. I could just roll over and chalk up the loss, but I'll try to do what I can to help the biologists meet the management objectives, and have the money that I've invested go towards something.

I understand youre at a disadvantage trying to get a transporter at such a late time period because of the alternate tag.

Maybe you could hang out in the village and if someone finished early on their hunt you would be able to have some time before the next group showed up.Had some friends do that a few years ago. Just a thought.

Season extended to March 25.

Hey, yea Jerod. Just hang out in the village. Heck, you might end up moving there!! Me and Fish 222 know some women there. Haha.

whitepalm, where did you find that information? I have not heard anything yet, and didn't see any emergency orders posted.

marten, I'll keep an eye on my pm for some names and numbers if your willing to share them out of your little black book.

Default Meeting

They discussed it as one of the last issues yesterday. I imagine you'll see an EO soon.

Sweet, it's official, they extended the season for 10 days. I talked to Abe David today and I'm booked now for the last three days of the season (23-25). And to think I almost chalked this whole deal up as a loss! Now I just have to hope for good weather for that stretch!!!

Just have your transporter direct you in the right direction. He'll know the "good" ones! I'm not talking bout Ox.