Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First Trip 2009

Default First Trip 2009

Thought I would share with you some pictures of our first trip of 2009 to PWS. Launched out of Whitter on 2-29-2009, unwittingly illegally launching the boats on the new dock (cops showed up after we parked the trailers). It was a nice improvement over what was there for sure. Took out two of my boats, Stabicraft 859SC (29x9.5) and the Fish-Rite Sea Storm (26x8.5) with 6 of my buddies and itched the winter bug.

I just installed twin 200 Suzis on the Sea Storm with 16x23 props and wanted to do some sea-trials and check out the installed gadgets. Need to change props and raise the motor which I did yesterday but performance was outstanding. The Espar D4 kept us toasty during the night at Logging Camp and the new Garmin 5212 and HD radar was incredible. I wanted to hit some 4 foot plus seas but as luck would have it, it was flat on that Saturday. Both boats performed very well over-all. I am going to have a tough time trying to pick the one to keep.

The Stabicraft was amazingly stable with the air-chambers and very roomy. The Simrad Auto-pilot and Furuno Navnet system worked flawlessly and the E-tec 200's were powerful and ran great.

Now since I have the modifications done with the Sea Storm, I am going out to Seward tomorrow for additional testing on Sunday. Maybe even catch a few fish...

Now only if I can post some pics...http://picasaweb.google.com/ha.mark/...46381957074130
    http://picasaweb.google.com/ha.mark/...46934609388034
    http://picasaweb.google.com/ha.mark/...46947120008066

Default Pictures not coming out

I guess I need to work on this a little. I have Picasa and not Photobucket so I may need to do something else. I guess I will work on it when I have more time.

Pic link works...although you really only need one to get to the whole album.

Looks like alot of fun.

Those 'zuks are SWEET. My dad has one on his 24fter and we rip across the sound on a flat calm doin 40kts with a load
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

AK2AK-Yeah, I noticed that it works with just one after I commented on it. I do like those Suzukis and I can't wait to get them in the water now that I have changed props and raised the motors. I am expecting 55 to 57 mph at wide-open. Not that I would do that very often but it is nice to have the power for heavy loads and powering through waves. Now only if I can get some fish this time of the year...I am going to try to get some rockfish and mess around in deeper waters for Halibut if weather permits.

Glad to see somebody was able to go and burn some gas! Please post your fuel burn when you get a chance. Looks like you had a fun time retrieving the boats. Did you have to hook two trucks together to get up the ramps?
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Wow Mark, I've been hearing about those boats for a while now, nice to see them. Looks like you had some fun. I'll probably be seeing you soon buying more stuff for them

Default What's the purpose...

for the stand up platform on the roof? Just curious. Cool that it folds down for trailering!
    Is there room up there for a small raft/inflatable minus the platform?
    I don't think there's a better looking boat around in the size range of the Fish Rite.
    Jim
    Thanks for the pics; outstanding!

Default Big Jim

The roof structure is called a "Tuna Tower" and it does fold for towing. It is used to spot bait-fish and birds when you fish for tuna. I am guessing it can be a good platform for spotting bears maybe. It came with the boat so I kept it on. A small inflatable will fit the top but then again, I am considering lengthening the cabin so anything will fit then.

Leaving for Seward now so I will have more pics. Will over-night in Thumb cove and head for Chiswells in the morning. PM me if anyone has any early holes to try. I am taking the Fish-Rite (One sweet looking boat) and my buddy Luke will be going with me on his Kingfisher 2825. Hopefully the marine forecast is right.

Mark

Thanks for posting the pics Mark. What kind of WOT performance are you getting out of the Stabi with it set up that way.
    Last edited by Sockeye Salm; 03-07-2009 at 16:47. Reason: spelling

I gottat think that tuna tower may come in handy for spotting purty much anything from orcas to silvers. If it came on the boat I certainly wouldn't get rid of it!

Default Just Got back from Seward

John, the WOT for the Stabicraft was 43mph with the twin E-tec 200's. Decent speed for a 30 foot boat. I was impressed with the E-tecs.

Seward was great this weekend. The weather cooperated nicely and the seas were in the 2 to 3 foot range everywhere. We anchored up in Thumb Cove on Saturday with my buddy's Kingfisher 2825 and bar-be-que'd a nice dinner under a large moon. Love the Espar D4 heater, kept us toasty warm through the night. We departed next morning for No-Name island and fished a few places before going to Eldorado Narrows for some calm waters. In testing, I found that I need the old props back after the improvements we made as the the 16x21.5 topped at 6100rpm. I figure the 16x23 set will being it around 5700 to 5800 rpm. The testing results are as follows:

RPM MPG MPH
    3000 1.8 26
    3500 2.1 32
    4000 1.9 37
    4500 1.8 44
    5000 1.8 47
    5500 1.6 50
    6000 1.4 53

Of course this was done without instruments and just eye-balling with the Garmin 5212 and pencil/paper so while not "official", it is a good gauge. I think it will be better with the right props so I guess I will have to go back out with the new props..work just never ends.

Okay, here goes the attempt at the new photobucket images...

Those numbers are very respectable, but those pictures at WFO look awesome! Nice looking rock fish, too. How heavy are those boats wet? They do not give much info about the specs on their website. I have to second the epsar heater. They are awesome!

I actually outfitted the boat and tested it as I would normally have it during the summer. This included Full tank of fuel, water, diesel, tackle, guns, food & beverages, safety gear and everything I could think of except for the raft on top. I then weighed the boat at the SWS Central Transfer facility in town and it came in at exactly 9457 pounds which includes a tandem-axle trailer. I figure a close weight in the water is about 7452 pounds when you deduct the 2015 weight of the EZ Loader trailer according to their website.

The numbers are respectable but I figure the prop change will improve it both in economy and top end.

It was a blast making the run to take the pictures!

Quote Originally Posted by kaisersosei View Post
    I actually outfitted the boat and tested it as I would normally have it during the summer. This included Full tank of fuel, water, diesel, tackle, guns, food & beverages, safety gear and everything I could think of except for the raft on top. I then weighed the boat at the SWS Central Transfer facility in town and it came in at exactly 9457 pounds which includes a tandem-axle trailer. I figure a close weight in the water is about 7452 pounds when you deduct the 2015 weight of the EZ Loader trailer according to their website.

The numbers are respectable but I figure the prop change will improve it both in economy and top end.

It was a blast making the run to take the pictures!
    Thanks. I have always used Alaska Sand and Gravel's scales. They are free as long as you do not want a print out FWIW. I scaled mine for grins this fall and was surprised at the weight! It looked like you had a fun trip. See you on the water.

Nice boat! Did you guys target any kings at all? How was the boat launch in Seward?

I did not have the patience for winter kings and the dealer cautioned against constant low-rpm use of the engines until break-in. The ramps were great with very small patches of ice at the very top on the military side and they had gravel on the ice patches so no problems launching or retrieving with studded snow tires.

Looks like you have an excellent meal or two of fresh Yellow Eye and Dusky's in your near future. Not bad for early March. I'll be out there pretty soon. That "Fish-Right" is a great looking boat, and fast! I hope you hang onto the "Stabi" though, the family will appreciate the safety factor of it. The tuna tower would be great for glassing beaches.

Quote Originally Posted by kaisersosei View Post
    I did not have the patience for winter kings and the dealer cautioned against constant low-rpm use of the engines until break-in. The ramps were great with very small patches of ice at the very top on the military side and they had gravel on the ice patches so no problems launching or retrieving with studded snow tires.

You mean you didn't try to troll at 50 mph? Thanks for the update. I understand your frustration with winter king fishing. I went last year a couple of times in April and let's just say my lures got really clean.......

Great post and thanks for the pics !! I am eagerly awaiting getting my boat in the water. I bet it is great this time of year with no-one else out there in your way. I agree that the Fish-Rite is awesome looking !!

AkBillyBow
    2007 Glacier Bay Cat 2690 Coastal Runner, Twin Honda 150's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast