Thread: Pot puller--anchor windlass

Default Pot puller--anchor windlass

I am having some work done on my boat right now and I want to have a davit put in. I was going to buy a Honda put puller. Can you use it to pull an anchor also? Anyone ever done this? I was thinking of finding a way to put the honda either back with the davit or up front with the anchor rope (sort of find a way to mount it removable). Any ideas?

Default Pull Anchor

The Honda units have an amazing amount of pull for there size, however
    you NEVER want to try and pull your anchor from the back - so that limits you to pulling off the bow. Given that I think the unit pulls a little faster than you need for anchor - however to each his own.
    There great units for pulling pots - IMHO just a little to fast for anchors.
    How stupid is it to be wasting tons of salmon and halibut as bycatch in the Bering Sea and then have the coastal villages hollaring they have no food? It's got to stop!

Default Where

Who carries the Honda units in town? (I heard Marita Sea and Ski).

Might one of these be of interest to you?? see pictures. A little advise, if you've never used a hauler with a gypsy head you need to be very careful with them so you don't get a riding turn around the head and wind up everything, if the rope doesn't feed correctly into the head a lot of bad stuff can happen real fast.
    If your interested in any of these haulers please email me at the address at the bottom of this post or PM me.
    Steve
    ED blue tarp.jpg

ED ******head.jpeg

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Quote Originally Posted by potbuilder View Post
    Might one of these be of interest to you?? see pictures. A little advise, if you've never used a hauler with a gypsy head you need to be very careful with them so you don't get a riding turn around the head and wind up everything, if the rope doesn't feed correctly into the head a lot of bad stuff can happen real fast.
    If your interested in any of these haulers please email me at the address at the bottom of this post or PM me.
    Steve
    ED blue tarp.jpg

ED ******head.jpeg
    Steve--Sorry but you'll have to be more specific, I have never used one. What is a gypsy head? The honda has a metal spool that you use like a chain saw winch, right? You just wrap it around a few times and it will pull it in? I understand how things can go wrong, but I want to use it to pull in my anchor also.

Quote Originally Posted by wildog View Post
    Steve--Sorry but you'll have to be more specific, I have never used one. What is a gypsy head? The honda has a metal spool that you use like a chain saw winch, right? You just wrap it around a few times and it will pull it in? I understand how things can go wrong, but I want to use it to pull in my anchor also.
    OK i just answered a post last week or so about the gypsy heads (aka metal spool). If the rope going into the head isn't going straight in it will jump over itself and start wrapping abound the head and if that happens when say your anchor is just about up to you bow and you can't shut off the honda quick enough you stand a good chance of pulling/snagging the anchor on the bow roller and doing damage to the boat or yourself. Another thing with those small heads is they don't pull very fast and the small diameter of the head tends to want to put twist in your rope. If i was going to have one of those on my boat i'd make sure to have kill switches near anywhere is was going to be using it or better yet have one of those coiled cords going to a kill switch(like on outboards) so if you got caught up in the head, they can grab clothing if your not very careful, it would shut the honda down.
    There are a few ways you can rig a boat to pull the anchor over the bow and fairlead the rope back to a pot puller located back behind a cabin. If you'd like pm me and i'll give a phone numer and we can discuss this in more detail. I ran lots of the gypsy head haulers back in my early lobster'in days and i wouldn't use one for pots or anchors again, just to dangerous in my humble opinion.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692