Thread: Charts

Default Charts

for PWS - mostly whittier side.

Which charts should I get? I only go 1 time a year - so I don't want to spend a fortune, but still want to pour over the charts to dream up some monster fish.

Don't have my chars with me, but there is basically one large chart that does a good job of covering all of PWS. They should have it at West Marine in their chart drawers.

NOAA 16700 covers the entire PWS. Thats a good chart to have onboard. Another good one is 16705, which is just a zoomed in version that covers whitter in more detail. Its basicaly western PWS, no valdez/montague on it. I think 16702 is a little bit furter south that shows latouche island and/or night island.

If you have a laptop you can take with you on your boat, you can download all the NOAA charts you want free from NOAA. You'll need a program to view the charts, but they can also be downloaded free. Here's a link to NOAA's raster charts (electronic versions of the paper charts):

http://www.nauticalcharts.noaa.gov/mcd/Raster/index.htm

Gotta have paper charts on the boat. When everything else blinks off, your backup paper charts are all you have left.

Denny
    What-a-Day
    27' x 9.5' Glacier Craft - Volvo 300hp D4 Diesel
    Remember: Any fool can be uncomfortable.
    Denny

Default Charts

I sold my boat awhile back but still have a bunch of charts. I have most of PWS, Cook Inlet and the outer Kenai Penisula from Pt. Elrington to Cook Inlet and for the adventurous No. 530 that covers San Diego to the Alutian and Hawian I. Charts are for "Reference Only" ie. they have not been corrected or there may be a newer edition. I am up for a little bartering if anyone is interested.

Quote Originally Posted by dtol View Post
    Gotta have paper charts on the boat. When everything else blinks off, your backup paper charts are all you have left.

Denny
    Quite true, but that doesn't mean you have to have a backup paper chart for every chart you might have on your laptop.

I have electronic versions of every NOAA chart from Yakutat to Dixon Entrance on my laptop. Downloaded them all from NOAA and didn't cost me a dime. These, of course, are a backup to the electronic charts on my Furuno chartplotter. No reason to expect that both my chartplotter and laptop would fail at the same time, since they're entirely separate systems with separate power supplies. Nevertheless, I do maintain paper copies of key charts on board as a secondary backup.

Also, FWIW, I find that the electronic charts on my laptop are far easier to organize and use than bunches of rolled paper charts.

Default pocket charts

Wish I could take credit for finding these. I believe they were posted on this forum within the last year. These charts are free and in pdf format. View them and save to your computer to print later into a booklet thats considerably smaller than a traditional chart.

I've viewed these but have not printed them out yet. Looks pretty cool.

http://www.nauticalcharts.noaa.gov/s...kletChart.html
    2007 220 OP ET HT
    Yamaha F250txr
    Yamaha 8 kicker
    Garmin 498

[quote=bhollis;448069]Quite true, but that doesn't mean you have to have a backup paper chart for every chart you might have on your laptop.

Obviously. However, I have charts for the places I normally go, including PWS, around to Reserection Bay. and all the way around to Homer. I cut these to make them smaller and plasticized them and keep them flat under the cushions in the cuddy. They are out of the way and if I don't use them for 10 years, so much the better. But I have them in case. Never say never.

Denny
    What-a-Day
    27' x 9.5' Glacier Craft - Volvo 300hp D4 Diesel
    Remember: Any fool can be uncomfortable.
    Denny

DEH,

That's a great link. I'm printing out Booklet Charts as I type this.

Thanks very much posting this.

Quote Originally Posted by bhollis View Post
    DEH,

That's a great link. I'm printing out Booklet Charts as I type this.

Thanks very much posting this.

Glad to pass it along. How did they turn out?

D
    2007 220 OP ET HT
    Yamaha F250txr
    Yamaha 8 kicker
    Garmin 498

Great! Printed out five so far. Expect to print out a couple more as well. Should all fit easily in a single three-ring binder.

Thanks again.

Plenty of good info here, does anyone know where to get bathymetric charts?

Quote Originally Posted by DEH View Post
    Wish I could take credit for finding these. I believe they were posted on this forum within the last year. These charts are free and in pdf format. View them and save to your computer to print later into a booklet thats considerably smaller than a traditional chart.

I've viewed these but have not printed them out yet. Looks pretty cool.

http://www.nauticalcharts.noaa.gov/s...kletChart.html
    Great link for the printable booklet charts. I downloaded them all for this area and saved them to my computer for future use whenever needed. I did print out a couple of pages and they are just like the full size chart.