Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Copper river fishing?

Default Copper river fishing?

I am from maine, headed to alaska this summer to work on the Copper river north of the million dollar bridge.

was wondering if any body would share tips, tidbits, techniques as how to fish the dirty waters of the copper.

I am bring fly, spin , and bait cast gear, but would love to have input from some seasoned salmon anglers. I assume most of my fishing will be done from shore.

thanks a bunch

Bowhunt302

Quote Originally Posted by Bowhunt302 View Post
    I am from maine, headed to alaska this summer to work on the Copper river north of the million dollar bridge.

was wondering if any body would share tips, tidbits, techniques as how to fish the dirty waters of the copper.

I am bring fly, spin , and bait cast gear, but would love to have input from some seasoned salmon anglers. I assume most of my fishing will be done from shore.

thanks a bunch

Bowhunt302
    Sport-fishing the Copper River would be pretty dang difficult! I'm not sure if anyone does...

Wayyyyy too rough and silty....plus there are a gazillion different channels / braids-- none of which are clear either.

I'd try the Alaganik Slough (closer to the airport). They get a lot of reds and silvers in there!

how big of streams (inlets, tributarys) have to be to attract salmon into them?

Is the silt really that difficult to fish in?

Default Copper

The silt in the Copper can be so bad that you might not see a 50 pound king, 6 inches under the water surface.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

6" beneath the surface? I've never been able to see a king in the Copper until it surfaces.

I don't know that the copper is unfishable to sportsfisherman, but it certainly will be close to unfishable. The copper has the consistancy and visability of watered down concrete.

Too thick to drink and too thin to plow...

Quote Originally Posted by Paul H View Post
    6" beneath the surface? I've never been able to see a king in the Copper until it surfaces.

I don't know that the copper is unfishable to sportsfisherman, but it certainly will be close to unfishable. The copper has the consistancy and visability of watered down concrete.
    Modestly speaking........of course. The slit fills up any opening you have in the fish wheels. Someone tried to drive a Toyota across a couple of years back north of the fish wheels at the bridge near Chitna. I can only imagine what it looked like two months latter when they finally were able to tow it out.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Flip a fly with enough weight to get it too the bottom less than a foot from a cut bank or at the first bit of moving water on a point bar, you'll eventually catch a red
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

[quote=Bowhunt302;447452]how big of streams (inlets, tributarys) have to be to attract salmon into them?

Bowhunt,

You would be surprised at what a salmon can do. One time, my dad and I were out moose hunting, and all of a sudden we hear all sorts of splashing. We look around the bend of the trail, and right there was an old spawner red! The "creek" that he was is has about 5 inches deep, and about a foot wide. I couldn't believe it! He was in some trouble for sure...
    Ryan from Wasilla

Default Bank Fishing the Copper River?

Yea I think its to silty to fish....I would use a large spin n glow with yarn on the hooks bright colors...if I ever fished there?

Click below

http://www.trophy-clips.com/view_vid...6751fe636fc6eb

TSS
    http://www.myfishingpictures.com/watermark.php?file=133776
    Jedi Salmon Powers Activated!
    www.alaskansalmonslayers.com

Quote Originally Posted by JediMasterSalmonSlayer View Post
    Yea I think its to silty to fish....I would use a large spin n glow with yarn on the hooks bright colors...if I ever fished there?

Click below

TSS
    A simple yes would have done.....

Proudly Serving Since 1997
    The circle is complete again, finally. The force is once again balanced!
    "Only a Sith deals in absolutes in regards to fishing!"

Click below

TSS

So I take it you're in the market for a new netter???

Nice fish! Great video
    Pursue happiness with diligence.

Hey we don't allow no may'nahs in this country Just bring a spinning rod and a fly rod and hit all the smaller clear creeks out there. The creeks closer to Cordova are loaded with reds in june and july with silvers to follow later in the summer, lots of dollies too. You'll have a wicked good time just watch out for the bay'ahs. PM me if you need more info but its going to cost ya some lobstah rolls.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Click below

TSS
    While you're fishing from the banks of the Copper, you're actually *fishing* in the clearer water that's being dumped in (I suspect by the Klutina)...

Fishing in Copper River water is pointless, IMO. If one were to actually fish the Copper, the advice AKPM gave about flipping a weighted fly is accurate...

Default Clarity?

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.No View Post
    While you're fishing from the banks of the Copper, you're actually *fishing* in the clearer water that's being dumped in (I suspect by the Klutina)...

Fishing in Copper River water is pointless, IMO. If one were to actually fish the Copper, the advice AKPM gave about flipping a weighted fly is accurate...
    Its kinda like having an out of body experience, your there (fishing the banks of the Copper)....but your not (in water suspect of being from the Klutina).

Quote Originally Posted by Wyo2AK View Post
    So I take it you're in the market for a new netter???

Nice fish! Great video
    I looped the video a bunch just to make him mad.

Jedi,

have you tried the black spin n glos at all in dirty water?

Or crankbaits/kwikfish (anycolor)? I was thinking maybe the rattles in some of those lure might help draw a response.

Here in maine when we get muddy water conditions from lots of rain (striper fishing), my goto colors are chartreuse or black, or maybe a combo of that.

I'm glad someone has faith in the copper, as I am going to be spending a lot of time on it this summer, with not much access at all to the major tribs like the klut, gulk, etc... I will actually be much further south of there.

bowhunt302

Its kinda like having an out of body experience, your there (fishing the banks of the Copper)....but your not (in water suspect of being from the Klutina).
    You're right...it is fun to fish there. I remember hooking a big king right in the area right around where you were -- and then losing him because the drag was too tight (and I checked the drag as soon as I hooked him..dooh!). One of those lessons that you take with you for YEARS, I guess...

Bowhunt302 -- if you're not able to find clearer water from a tributary, the advice from AKPM holds. It won't matter what lure or color you use...Jedi is fishing water from the Klutina...

Quote Originally Posted by Bowhunt302 View Post
    Jedi,

have you tried the black spin n glos at all in dirty water?

Or crankbaits/kwikfish (anycolor)? I was thinking maybe the rattles in some of those lure might help draw a response.

Here in maine when we get muddy water conditions from lots of rain (striper fishing), my goto colors are chartreuse or black, or maybe a combo of that.

I'm glad someone has faith in the copper, as I am going to be spending a lot of time on it this summer, with not much access at all to the major tribs like the klut, gulk, etc... I will actually be much further south of there.

bowhunt302
    Actually, we have a combo that we call "Black Death." It is right along those lines. Black spin-n-glo with some chartruese yarn or vice-versa. That combo works well in the Big Su, which is cloudy and silty just as the Copper.

Proudly Serving Since 1997
    The circle is complete again, finally. The force is once again balanced!
    "Only a Sith deals in absolutes in regards to fishing!"

I assume your working at the sonar site.?. You could catch some reds from shore since you will know they are running next to shore due to the Didson Sonar. Like others have mentioned, I would hitch a ride back towards town and hit the Eyak, Alaganik etc. There are some clear sloughs along the road that also hold cutthroats. Keep your eyes open for the harbor seals swimming up river for salmon, it's pretty cool. I watched a harbor seal grab a sockeye on the sonar last year. Be prepared for constant glacier movements if you are indeed working at the sonar sight, it's loud!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast