Thread: Sheep Opener

Default Sheep Opener

There are many posts on many forums about the merits of the early opener (residents) for sheep this August. But when the heck does the season actually start?

Internet research reveals the following: 1) 10 Aug for residents, 12 Aug for non-res; 2) same, but only in Region 3; 3) same, but then "they" changed it to the whole state; 4) the whole early start thing was rescinded, so the season starts the 10th for all; and 5) residents start the 8th, with the 10th for non-residents.

The AKF&G site isn't the easiest to navigate, does anyone have a link to an actual credible source?

Many thanks!

Umm that would be because the BoG is having a meeting in Anchorage right now concerning the regs on Sheep and they haven't gotten to Sheep yet. Hmmmm

Quote Originally Posted by JRaw View Post
    There are many posts on many forums about the merits of the early opener (residents) for sheep this August. But when the heck does the season actually start?

Internet research reveals the following: 1) 10 Aug for residents, 12 Aug for non-res; 2) same, but only in Region 3; 3) same, but then "they" changed it to the whole state; 4) the whole early start thing was rescinded, so the season starts the 10th for all; and 5) residents start the 8th, with the 10th for non-residents.

The AKF&G site isn't the easiest to navigate, does anyone have a link to an actual credible source?

Many thanks!
    No amount of education can help those who want to remain permanently ignorant of facts, which includes those whom have been educated.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

traditionally sheep opens state wide in August... the exact dates for the 09 season will appear in the 09/10 regs that come out in June. the state is NORMALLY pretty good about marking things NEW!!!!! when they make changes.
    Last edited by Vince; 03-06-2009 at 13:23. Reason: said may not august
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Default Dall sheep regulations

Quote Originally Posted by JRaw View Post

Many thanks!
    JR,

To be honest, this is a confusing post. If you are trying to find out when Dall sheep season starts, you need to first figure out what Game Management Unit you want to hunt. Some areas are general season, some are special permit, etc. There are different dates for different hunts. Just grab a current copy of the Alaska Hunting Regulations and the information is right there for you. Where do you find the regulations? Glad you asked! Type in "Alaska Hunting Regulations" in google and you'll find them (I could do it for you, but then you would not learn to feed yourself!) If you want a hard copy, you can pick those up at most sporting goods stores in Alaska, or at the offices of the Alaska Department of Fish and Game.

Upinak mentioned that the BOG meetings are currently under way. You need to understand that these meetings may change certain parts of the hunting regulations. The decisions made at these meetings will impact hunts taken in the fall of this year and the spring of next year.

Finally you need to understand that the current hunting regulations will not be current this coming fall. That's because the regulatory year starts in mid-summer each year. So while you can get a general idea of the season dates from this year's regulations, you need to confirm those dates when the new regulations come out.

Having said all that, the traditional "opening day" of Dall sheep in most Game Management Units in Alaska has been August 10, regardless of whether the person is a resident or not.

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Smile

Mike, thanks for the reply. I have the 08/09 regs (digital and dog-eared paper), and understand that the traditional start date is August 10 across most of the state. I see how my post may have been confusing; I was just assuming the standard 10 August start.

The issue is that several months ago there was a lot of traffic about how the BOG supposedly OK'd a two-day head start for residents, in a "#85" decision. The only "official" thing I've found surfing the AKF&G site is a reference to a pending change, allowing a two-day headstart in Region III. But if you search the web you'll find various sources (none of which has the official AKF&G seal of approval) alleging all the scenarios I describe above. Best I can decipher, there actually was a decision, but it may have been rescinded or further changed, or may continue to change. I'd rather not wait until 09/10 regs come out in June, and hope someone is better informed than I, or understands better how to read the BOG regs/decisions in order to get ahead of the regs book that will hit the web in June. Or maybe we just have to wait

JRaw - There has not been a decision made on the early start date for residents, nor was there one made previously. The Board of Game is meeting as we speak, and will likely decide on this issue in the coming days. I would assume that it is highly unlikely that they will implement such an early date, but stranger things have happened. You'll know within a few days to a week, most likely.

I agree with Brian. It is unlikely that the BOG will give resident hunters the earlier start. If they do there will be a lot of guys calling air taxis on Tuesday and Wednesday.

Default Early sheep opener for residents

I was at the BOG meetings today and the early sheep opener proposals were shot down. So were the proposals for special archery seasons for sheep (both early and late).

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.

Default Thanks

Thanks for the update Mike.

Thanks, everyone - that's as current and accurate of information as one could ever hope for!

Bummer, was really hopping the archery only season would pass.
    BHA Member
    Bowyer to the forces of light in the land of the midnight sun.
    The 3 fold way: Every step we take as we walk through life effects, our family, our comunity and ourselves. One should walk thoughtfuly.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick P View Post
    Bummer, was really hopping the archery only season would pass.
    It would be nice, but unless a bunch of bowhunters show up to testify, it's unlikely. Maybe next year we need to have an ODD meet-and-greet at the BoG meeting.

Well I met with several new and old freinds during the BOG meetings. I think I'll be more a part of the meetings next go around, Gunther is getting older and I've found a reliable babysiter, time to get a little more proactive again.
    BHA Member
    Bowyer to the forces of light in the land of the midnight sun.
    The 3 fold way: Every step we take as we walk through life effects, our family, our comunity and ourselves. One should walk thoughtfuly.

Default Bowhunter advocacy

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    It would be nice, but unless a bunch of bowhunters show up to testify, it's unlikely. Maybe next year we need to have an ODD meet-and-greet at the BoG meeting.
    Brian and Rick,

I'm no expert on the BOG for sure, but the drift I got is that this board is not very likely to do anything that favors bowhunters or special bowhunting opportunities. Every time a bowhunting proposal was discussed, the comment was made that bowhunters already have the same opportunities rifle hunters have, and there was no need to give them more. They also said that there are no "rifle only" seasons, so why should there be "archery only" seasons, except in the case of special circumstances (in areas where rifle hunting could be a danger to surrounding homes and such). Finally, a comment was made that archery hunters have successfully lobbied the process in the lower 48 states, and that it was unlikely that they would have the same successes up here. In a nutshell, I think a lobbying effort would backfire, if we have the same board next time around. Perhaps a good approach would be to provide reasons why we need additional opportunities for bowhunters, but to do so individually with board members.

I'm not taking sides here, just reporting what I heard.

-Mike