Thread: winch relay

Default winch relay

The relay for my winch crapped out the other day. Not a big deal except that Arctic Cat doesn't (or at least didn't) use the standard Warn relay (the one that got recalled a couple years ago). They have their own. Turns out Northern Power Sports has had these on back order for awhile now and has no idea when they will get them in. The Warn relay is not compatible with the AC switch because the Warn relay has 2 wires to connect to the switch, and the AC switch has a 3 wire plug.
    I have 2 thoughts on how to deal with this. First, replace the AC switch with a Warn and install the Warn relay. Second, I have been told (but don't know this for a fact) that the old style switch (the big rotary ones) don't require the relay and can be connected directly to the winch. If so, I could just get a switch and be back in business.
    Anybody have any ideas about this? Of course this had to happen when we get the most snow of the winter, so I'd like to get it working tonight.

Warn switch and relay sounds the easiest considering they are readily available. Call Six States are they are the main warn dealer in AK
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Fixed it today. Replaced the AC contactor (relay) with a Warn, and changed the switch. I like the way AC mounts the switch, so I put the Warn switch in the AC housing. Works like a champ.