Thread: Long bow and recurve quivers

Default Long bow and recurve quivers

What do you use for a quiver in the field?

George

Default Depends upon

whether in a tree stand, which then i like a back quiver that i can just hang from a branch. Out runnin-an-gunnin i like the Selway traditional limb quiver with leather hood, that's for the on the go bulls.

I like Great Northern strap on quivers.

I'm just going to hand carry one arrow....thats all we need right??
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Default Safari Tuff Arrowmaster

a fine quiver that keeps your feathers dry, sort of a modified back quiver. Material conforms to the curve of your body just enough to keep arrows from rattling. Great customer service there too.
    Yea though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for the shadow is mine and so is the valley. Thy Glock and thy M14 comfort me in days of civil unrest and terror

+1 on the Selway, i like to slide em down pretty close to my riser, then use a little tape to hold it in place.
    one thing to remember it can effect the way your bow performs so i just leave it on while tuning, in fact i never take mine off unless i am cleaning my bow..
    the closer it is to your riser the less efect it will have..
    Attached Images Attached Images

I just ordered a Safari Tuff Arrowmaster myself. Have not got it in the mail yet. Hope that it is as good as I think it will be.

Default Arrowmaster

Quote Originally Posted by akdd View Post
    I just ordered a Safari Tuff Arrowmaster myself. Have not got it in the mail yet. Hope that it is as good as I think it will be.
    I modified my Safari Tuff Arrowmaster just a bit...I sewed in a sheath for my Gransford Brux Hunter's axe on the lower inside portion that touches your back and sewed on a bird/trout knife and a little caper knife on the front near the spot where you'd retrieve arrows. These additional tools, with what I can carry in the small pouch already on the quiver, can keep me going for quite a long time, even if I don't happen to have my backpack.
    Yea though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for the shadow is mine and so is the valley. Thy Glock and thy M14 comfort me in days of civil unrest and terror

I'm currently using a "great northern" 4 arrow strap on quiver. I really don't care for bow mounted quivers but haven't found a option that worked better for me. I continue to experiment with my own designs and those of others.
    BHA Member
    Bowyer to the forces of light in the land of the midnight sun.
    The 3 fold way: Every step we take as we walk through life effects, our family, our comunity and ourselves. One should walk thoughtfuly.

I got turned on to the quivers from Eagle Flight (http://eaglesflightarchery.com/quivers.htm) and really like these light weight / solid quivers. I have brought a number into the shop and they are very popular - I cannot keep them on the shelf. More are on the way!

Quote Originally Posted by George Riddle View Post
    What do you use for a quiver in the field?

George
    i went back to a "stick bow" and really like the change! either fixed or takedown, the weight, and feel of traditional equipment is for me. sometimes the selway bow quiver goes with me (and it is a daisy) but usually wear a hip quiver.

my chuck adams hip holster carries 8 broadheads, of most any type available. it is secure, packs well on foot or horseback, and doesn't change the way my bow shoots.
    happy trails.
    jh

Jeesh I have to many quivers. for awhile now I've hunted with a Jack Bowyers Chief side stalker quiver and really love it for everything I do, both stand and spot and stalk hunting including back pack hunts.

I did like a bow quiver on my recurves but hate it on my longbows, dunno why just do. On the curves I used a selway. I did try a great northern on the longbows and it's ok. It works better with a strap used as a side stalker quiver (not a hip quiver like most are familiar with but like a GFA quiver). Speaking of the GFA quiver this idea has been around for quite awhile...buddy of mine used to use a bear quiver with a strap incoorperated into it. For about 10 bucks you have probably one of the better quivers out there. I do like my chief however it is heavy.

To see the chief google Dean Torges, you'll find it on his site. Raptor quiver (which I dont like btw, not as well made), you can find at Raptor Archery's page, or I believe 3 rivers archery sells raptor quivers.

When stumpin or small game hunting or just all around practicing I use a back quiver. it's what I started with, and go to to this day. They are nice overall but dont lend themselves to backpack hunts at all. And for some they take quite a bit getting used to....I do like them though and I have hunted with them on. Weight up here is always an issue so I usually leave mine at home.

Lots of options, no real way to find out what you like till you've tried it. What works for me may not for you depending on how you pack and what you like/dislike. Good luck.