Thread: Resurrection bay rock bass/lingcod

Default Resurrection bay rock bass/lingcod

I've been in Alaska now for two summers and I'm hooked on fishing Resurrection Bay for both the scenery and the fishing. My problem is that I dont really know what I'm doing. I usually rent a boat from Ft. Rich and follow the rest of the pack to the narrows, pony cove, or wherever the salmon are and I do pretty well. Now the pressure is on because my whole family is coming up the first week of July and I've got to find the fish. If the coho are late I would like to fish for black rockfish and lings. Does anyone have a good location for this species? I wouldnt dare ask for a hailbut spot (but I would take one ). The lings would be catch and release since I'm in the bay but their still cool to catch. How do the tides affect the bite? We did well one trip on the east side of Fox but the next time we tried it was dead. Thanks for any help.

I've never fished for lings in R-bay, but like any other type of fish, it's structure, structure, structure. Look on the charts for underwater pinnacles, or other steep terrain that quickly goes from nominally 10 fathoms on down to 100 fathoms. Also the structure should be in areas that have decent tidal flows, which is what brings the food to the predators. This is also the structure that holds the various rockfish species, lingcod food

Ling stocks were pretty much depleated from the bay, which is why you can't keep them. It's really best to leave them alone so the fishery can replentish itself.

They'll bite on any portion of the tide, it's more a matter of how the tide affects you getting your tackle down to them. Realize that they use the tide to bring bait fish to them, so you want to be fishing the direction the tide will be carrying baitfish to them. You want to either be anchored towards the top of the pinnacle or shelf and fishing the area the tide carries the bait fish, or drift with the tide from shallow to deep.

Its all about structure, look at the charts 5 fathom pinnicles are nice for rockfish, so are reefs and rip rap and whatnot, black bass really like kelp beds too. My favorite way to fish for rockfish (aside from fly fishing for them) is to throw bucktail jigs at rocks like you are fishing for smallies on rockpiles. I've caught little lings out in PWS this way as well. I'd stick to targeting rockfish as it'll be more productive and legel, you might pick up a ling or too though which will add spice to the day. If you jig something hookless you can get a school of rockfish to follow it up to the surface sometimes then throw poppers and stuff for em thats fun too. Try to fish in water thats less than 60 feet so you can release the rockfish sucsessfully.

As for halibut, look for the boats with the big green sticker and fish there.
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Not a lot to add - the above advice is pretty solid. Fish the structure. You don't have to fish very deep to get into the rockfish, and if you're going to be releasing many fish stay shallow. It won't take you long to figure out if there are rockfish around, so if you're not catching fish move on. When you find the rockfish, there will likely be a few lings around.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul H View Post
    Also the structure should be in areas that have decent tidal flows, which is what brings the food to the predators. This is also the structure that holds the various rockfish species, lingcod food
    Last edited by Wyo2AK; 03-21-2010 at 20:26.
    Pursue happiness with diligence.

Thumbs down

Don't forget that Resurrection Bay is closed to ling cod fishing.

Quote Originally Posted by akdeweyj View Post
    Don't forget that Resurrection Bay is closed to ling cod fishing.
    Not exactly true; it is closed to retention. Over the last 5-6 years some of the largest lingcod I have caught are in R-bay. And there seems to be large number of them where the structure facilitates their lifestyle. Of course, they all go back as I was fishing for halibut and they were incidental catches. In my humble opinion they need to look at this fishery again as I think it has recovered to a point where a few could be harvested. But, then again, what is the point? There tons of them just around the corner that you can keep.....

Quote Originally Posted by T.R. Bauer View Post
    Not exactly true; it is closed to retention. Over the last 5-6 years some of the largest lingcod I have caught are in R-bay. And there seems to be large number of them where the structure facilitates their lifestyle. Of course, they all go back as I was fishing for halibut and they were incidental catches. In my humble opinion they need to look at this fishery again as I think it has recovered to a point where a few could be harvested. But, then again, what is the point? There tons of them just around the corner that you can keep.....
    ADF&G regs for Resurrection Bay state "Lingcod fishing is prohibited year-round - accidentally caught ling cod must be released."

There are a lot of ling cod (big & small) inside the bay - just don't get caught fishing for them.

Quote Originally Posted by akdeweyj View Post
    ADF&G regs for Resurrection Bay state "Lingcod fishing is prohibited year-round - accidentally caught ling cod must be released."

There are a lot of ling cod (big & small) inside the bay - just don't get caught fishing for them.
    I stand corrected (again). Thanks for quoting the regs. You could have put a gun to my head and would have sworn what I posted was true. Truth is I hate dealing with toothy devils. One time last year we fished on spot that I like to halibut fish near Mary's Bay and all we caught was arrowtooth, those **** dogfish, and one gigantic ling that was trying to bite the tiny arrowtooth that I had on my hook in half. I literally had forcibly cooerce him to let go. We also hooked into something that broke 140 pound dacron that was in good condition. We had whatever is was on for about 20 minutes before the line let go. Thanks for the correction.

Default Why???

Why does every freaking thread on this forum turn into a pissing match, or a contest to see who knows EVERY regulation in AK? Jesus the guy was asking about fishing for rockfish not which law might I break next trip out. Bunch of old nags.....

Default Not justified

Quote Originally Posted by zekeski View Post
    Why does every freaking thread on this forum turn into a pissing match, or a contest to see who knows EVERY regulation in AK? Jesus the guy was asking about fishing for rockfish not which law might I break next trip out. Bunch of old nags.....
    You comment is not justified. The original post was for fishing for "Resurrection bay rock bass/lingcod". Lings can not be targeted. Incidental and released, yes.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Quote Originally Posted by zekeski View Post
    No pissing match intended - it was an attempt at humor. After having it shoved up your ***** by your friendly neighborhood fish cop, it is so much
    easier to remember the regs.

Default Rockfish Spots

Go to Cape Resurrection or the outside of Rugged Island.
    Get within 100 feet of the cliffs and jig anything up from the bottom in less than 60 feet of water so you can toss the little ones back. There are clouds of black rockfish at these spots............... you can see them on your fish finder.

Keep the boat engine running and have someone at the helm that knows how to drive that is always watching the swells, boat wakes, and also look out for rogue waves.....You don't want to end up on the rocks or get caught in a nasty wave bouncing back from the cliffs. Really helps to have someone with a clue that can be a "deckhand" in the back, that way the driver can pay attention to driving.

Also be careful of shallow rocks as you get closer to the cliffs.....

You can usually limit out several people in less than an hour.

Default uhhh

Quote Originally Posted by digdug73 View Post
    I've been in Alaska now for two summers and I'm hooked on fishing Resurrection Bay for both the scenery and the fishing. My problem is that I dont really know what I'm doing. I usually rent a boat from Ft. Rich and follow the rest of the pack to the narrows, pony cove, or wherever the salmon are and I do pretty well. Now the pressure is on because my whole family is coming up the first week of July and I've got to find the fish. If the coho are late I would like to fish for black rockfish and lings. Does anyone have a good location for this species? I wouldnt dare ask for a hailbut spot (but I would take one ). The lings would be catch and release since I'm in the bay but their still cool to catch. How do the tides affect the bite? We did well one trip on the east side of Fox but the next time we tried it was dead. Thanks for any help.

Sounds like he knows the regs to me. Good tip titobandito, you actually addressed the guys question, rather than cited laws. Rare form indeed.