Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tomatoes!!! It's TIME!!!

Default Tomatoes!!! It's TIME!!!

It's time to start planting!
    Who is in this year? Who is planting? What advice can you give to a newbie? What kinds of seeds will you be using and why? What is your process? Are you planning on doing anything new this year?

This was the furthest I got last year. :\ It rained and rained and then it continued to rain and my toms just couldn't hold out.

This year will be a new year. I am incredibly excited about starting the process. My tomatoes that did survive tasted wonderful.
    Lurker.

CO2, you did pretty well. My Toms hated the rain and decided that the slugs could take them.

I will be starting my "batch" the 16th. Cherry's and I forget the names of the other but it is orange. I am at work so it isn't like I can grab the seeds.
    No amount of education can help those who want to remain permanently ignorant of facts, which includes those whom have been educated.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

first TIP co... get them out of the ground. our ground does not warm up enough for a really good crop of them... planters or buckets that you can cover when needed with plastic or other. tell bob you need a green house before the shop gets finished..

i am going to give it a shot here again. this year... but your right last year was way to wet. i have my green house half done... trying to figure out if half of it will be for pheasants, and half for plants, and half for tool storage, and half for dog pen, Half for ATV shop,

hmmmm i need a few more green houses too..
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Vince, I understand the 1/2 syndrome.....

Default Vince

somethng about all them halves just don't seem to add up
    Visions Steel/841-WELD(9353)
    "Rebellion is in my blood, I was born an American"
    Μολών λαβέ

For anyone who has tomatoes like COtoAK's, I hope you know about fried green tomatoes.

Don't let those beauties go to waste. If they don't get ripe, pick them before frost, slice them, then bread and fry them. Good stuff. You can even fritter them and mix them with omelets and other things. Tangy!

------> advice from a southerner.

Thanks.
    I really appreciate it. At first, I thought that you were going to give me a hard time for having green toms.

Well... this year will be a good year to start them again.
    Lurker.

Default Ripen in a bag

If your Toms are not ripe by fall and the frost is coming, pick 'em and put the green ones in a warm place in a paper bag. They will ripen in a few days.
    I second eating fried green Toms, theyr'e great.
    BK

Oh yea, last year was a disaster, it won't happen this year, I guarantee it.... as to planting, well I hope the nursery where we purchase our plants is on the ball....

Default tomatos

I prefer super sweet 100 tomato's, they're like candy once the skin splits. For green toms try making a green tom and dill relish for brats, that what I did with all my green toms last year. mine were in a greenhouse and still wouldnt ripen.

I'll start planting today. Let's hope for a good season.

Agreed. Cheers to all of you in hopes of a good Alaskan growing season.
    I am really looking forward to it. I'll be starting my planting as soon as I return home from Prudhoe and Anchorage. Yahoo for tomatoes!!!
    Lurker.

Default tomatoe seeds

I'm trying sub arctic maxi from Stokes seed co. and siberian from Ed hume seeds. I'v been told they are about the best to grow in southcentral. Already have some germinated.

Quote Originally Posted by AKROY View Post
    I'm trying sub arctic maxi from Stokes seed co. and siberian from Ed hume seeds. I'v been told they are about the best to grow in southcentral. Already have some germinated.
    Really? You already have some germinated?
    Do you have any pictures to share with us?
    Lurker.

i already have 3 and 4" plants.... i have some let over from my seed starting if anyone wants to buy some i'll sell them for fairly cheap. let me know thanks also have peppers too....
    God Created Man Samuel Colt Made Them Equal

Quote Originally Posted by stetsoncoltoutdoors View Post
    i already have 3 and 4" plants.... i have some let over from my seed starting if anyone wants to buy some i'll sell them for fairly cheap. let me know thanks also have peppers too....
    Do you have pictures?! I'd LOVE to see them!
    Lurker.

Default Intro & Question...

Hello. My family & I just PCSed here from WA state in Jan. ((We're Air Force.)) Since we are not familiar with the growing season here in AK, would any of you have any idea as to where I can learn about cold climate gardening? Any suggested sites? Books?
    Since we live on base, we aren't allowed to grow vegetables in the back yard due to the moose & bear. We can have a plot farther from the house, which I intend to do...but I'm thinking about also growing plants INSIDE as well as from hangers.
    Any thoughts on this idea?
    Thank you in advance for any replies!

MommaF8 Welcome!

There are plenty of veggies that will grow indoors in pots. Smaller varieties of tomatoes (Denali Seed- Polar Star for example) do very well in gallon sized containers, as do most types of peppers. I've grown leaf lettuce, kale, swiss chard and other greens indoors in the bay window all summer long no problem. Herbs like or oregano, basil, summer savory, thyme and cilantro, just to name a few, do well indoors too. Most plants do like the outdoors with lots of room for the roots to grow, but when you can't, you just can't and have to make do with the space available. Make sure to have a good light source and your plants will grow just fine.

I started my tomato seeds yesterday, Denali Seed -Polar Stars and Polar Beauty and a few of Beaverlodge that a friend gave me to try out. Think today I will get some peppers and some herbs started too. My favorite pepper is Hot Thai's. They are small but really pack a punch.

Here's to a great growing season!
    Let the sun shine.

Grandma Lori
    If God had intended us to follow recipes,
    He wouldn't have given us grandmothers. ~Linda Henley

Hey Grandma LTNS. I started mine this last weekend. But the names escape me right now. Are you warming up at least?

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska Grandma View Post
    MommaF8 Welcome!

There are plenty of veggies that will grow indoors in pots. Smaller varieties of tomatoes (Denali Seed- Polar Star for example) do very well in gallon sized containers, as do most types of peppers. I've grown leaf lettuce, kale, swiss chard and other greens indoors in the bay window all summer long no problem. Herbs like or oregano, basil, summer savory, thyme and cilantro, just to name a few, do well indoors too. Most plants do like the outdoors with lots of room for the roots to grow, but when you can't, you just can't and have to make do with the space available. Make sure to have a good light source and your plants will grow just fine.

I started my tomato seeds yesterday, Denali Seed -Polar Stars and Polar Beauty and a few of Beaverlodge that a friend gave me to try out. Think today I will get some peppers and some herbs started too. My favorite pepper is Hot Thai's. They are small but really pack a punch.

Here's to a great growing season!
    Let the sun shine.

Grandma Lori
    No amount of education can help those who want to remain permanently ignorant of facts, which includes those whom have been educated.

Thank you SO much for taking the time to respond! I love gardening & plan to learn ALL I can about this beautiful place!
    I cannot wait to move into our house on Mon!
    Want to get settled & GROWING!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast