Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trapping Admiralty Island

Default Trapping Admiralty Island

Hi all. One last trip with supplies and equipment in early April and I will be on Admiralty Year round. I will be guiding out of Pybus point lodge for Salmon and Halibut in the sumer. I will be in theYukon area as a packer in September Moose Camp. I am not new to hunting in AK or fishing there either but this will be my first year trapping there.

Its been some years since I have set steel, except for nusiance control stuff here in WA for beaver for the game department. Otherwise I have been cage trapping for the past 11 years, 4 in AZ and 7 in WA.

I am planning on trapping for mink until about mid Jan or until fur permits and also running a seperate Marten line and setting for otter as well. I plan on trapping being my full time job through the winter months. I just ordered my traps to get started with and see where I go from there. Due to recent divorce, the economy and knowing my income will be only from 4 months guiding I chose Duke traps to start with. Most traps for my dollar right now. I got 9 dozen 120's, 9 dozen #1 LS, 10 dozen 110's, 4 dozen 330's and 4 dozen #3's.

I am in the process of constructing coyote, fox and wolf snares along with mink and marten sized snares.

My Plan: Lodge is base camp. I am purchasing 2 wall tents from Alaska Tent and tarp with stoves here pretty soon for the line. I plan on running a line that will loop where I can utilyze 2 of the forest cabins in the area for overnight stays. I am planning on 5 miles of line per day. This will all be done on foot walking, in snow shoes where needed. With the tents, cabins and lodge I figure my line can run a 25 mile loop. Giving me no more than 4 days between each return to each set if that makes sence. I am running drowners for Mink and from what I have learned in the archives here even in a #1LS most if not all Marten are dead. Is 4 days too long? I am used to 24 hours check rules from the past 11 years in tree huggerville.

Being new at marten trapping and also trapping in AK, I am looking for tips, equipment lists or modifications needed to traps? What lures work best in SE for Marten call? I buy all Stef Leggets (spelling sorry) right now but I am open to suggestions. Any real good Marten trapping books out there?

Also, as far as snow shoes go, I am looking at the MSR models but don't know which is best for my needs, I may be in them every day through most of the season.

I have some good time ahead of me before setting out to start the line but it comes up on me fast it seems every year, so preperation is beginning now.

Any helpful tools, or accessories that help on the line in AK would also be helpful. I am equipped pretty well in the cold weather gear dept (ex wife worked for Helly Hansen) and believe I have more than ample traps and snares at this point, now its just fine tuning for the camp and such. This will be my first trap line of this style, 3 months afield. I have done several 2 and 3 week trips here in WA for cats in the hills, but also know thats no comparison to AK either. If any one has some longline experience and can help guide me to the right stuff for the job, I sure would appretiate it.

On a side note, I was at the fur rondy this past weekend in Anchorage. Man, its real cool to see what efforts have been put into the promotion of furs and fur trapping, hats off to all!!
    Take a youngster out when you go, it will change his/her life forever!!

Default Snowshoes

As I don't consider myself a trapper I've only helped on a friends line some but would love to, this sounds like quite an adventure. The only thing I can say it that I have worn a pair of MSR snowshoes and they were nice to climb in because they were nicely cleated and really simple to jog in but for overall flotation they didn't do to much even with the extra little floats they make. My roomate had a pair of tubbs that were really nice and compared to the MSR had a lot better floatation.. Good luck and I'm sure a lot of good hints will come from this site.

Default SE trapping

Any one else already there trapping? You need to find out and get along.

You have way to much steel there ... in SE ... well placed dozen or 2 sets will keep you more than busy.

My best Mink were usually taken in late Jan to the end of season Feb 15th. I concentrated on Marten and Otter before that. On years like we just had ''' lots of sun and cold temps the Otters will 'singe' and will be 'slighted' by the buyers.

There are no coyote or Fox ... proper Wolf sets take long time to set up and you will get one chance at a catch every 10 to 30+ days. Lots of work and expense for little return. Snares will snare Deer even when set properly. Many Wolf trappers around here do not snare for that reason.

The USFS cabins cannot be used. They are on a rental basis and cannot be rented for a commercial purpose ... you are considered 'commercial' .. people get busted for that very thing.

How were the prices at Rondy?

Good advice by Muskeg.

I'll add that there are no wolves on Admiralty, along with the absence of coyote and fox. Closest place you'll find wolves are on the mainland.

Quote Originally Posted by Tsiutoo View Post

I'll add that there are no wolves on Admiralty, along with the absence of coyote and fox. Closest place you'll find wolves are on the mainland.
    I was going to ask that question. I've seen giant martin while deer hunting, but that's about it..

Quote Originally Posted by Tsiutoo View Post
    Good advice by Muskeg.

There are wolves on Admiralty.

You can find wolves all over SE.. not Just the Mainland. Revilla, Zarembo, Etolin, POW, Kuiu, Admiralty, Chichigof, Kupreanof.. There are wolves there..

Lodge owner been there for 18 years and has been seeing wolves for only the last three. Not many but some. Martin are thick and mink will be my bread and butter from what I can see.

So far, I have yet to locate a trapper in my area. Nor would I set steel anywhere that someone else has a line set up. Alaska is a big place, I dont need to be stepping on anyones toes. Its not about the fur for me, even though it is my winter income, its just being outdoors. The fur, thats a bonus. Part of my posting here was to feel around if anyone is around. I did not see traffic or any sign through the time I was there this past winter. Its over an hour from Juneau by boat, something I don't think too many will do? And a pretty good flight in a plane, too much to spend to catch marten and mink in my opinion. The lodge owner doesn't know of any trappers and from what the Eskimo man at Angoon told him, they don't trap down our way, its too far by boat. From what the lodge owner told me the only peole that he ever sees in the winter is the ships coming into bay to get out of weather. He says he very rarely sees a boat on shore, just sometimes a small boat from the ships to collect clams or explore a bit. He does see quite a few deer hunters in the area in November early December though. I already was aware of the deer hunts already though and few hunt close to the lodge, so I will keep it close until deer season closes and everyone is gone. Thats the plan, but it never works out the way i plan so, we may have to wait and see.

Thanks for the tips, this is the things I will need. I disagree on traps, i may not sett all I have, but no man can ever have too many) I do 8 miles here in WA evry year on my line daily, I would like to keep it that way up there but less due to more snow. Thanks for the tip on the cabins, I was planning on paying my daily fee. Might have to put the $25 a day towards another tent in the budget instead). I would rather see my money goto a local business anyway then some idiot whos just going to give it to corprate America. Sorry no politics, I know.

Can I construct trapper cabins on the Island like elsewhere in the state on permit or does the National Monumant thing screw me up also?

Also, I read somewhere that in AK if you are using a snowmachine for commercial use for livelyhood or food gathering for individuals living off the land, you were able to use gas powered machine? If trapping is part of my actual income and is my true job by running a longline, does this qualify me? I have a quad and was going to get tracks or trade it on a sled but thought about just selling for I cant use either on the island? I do understand that not everything you read about Ak is true, I have learned that over the years also.

have no advise havent trapped in years. just want to wish you the best of luck. and hope to hear some of your adventures when you get back. take care

Smile Hey thanks.

Thanks for the PM's and words of encouragement. I know of the lack of specific furbearers on the island. But with 2 boats, I figure the more variety of traps I bring, the more options I have being I am just getting going on this. Right now, what ever supplies (traps) I want to bring to Alaska with me, are free for shipping to the lodge. We have a barge going up, so I can load my gear on for free. I figure better to bring extra of every kind of trap I will ever use in AK now, for it will cost an arm and leg to get them to Admiralty later on.

I am trying to set up internet for myself on a laptop for the area, but it doesn't look so good. Cost is astronomical for it and I just can't see spending money I don't have just for the internet.

For those wondering why? To explain my actions and intentions, I just recently went through divorce. I am a self employed painting contractor and lost most everything either due to the divorce and the ever sinking economy. I am 35 years old and know I will only live once. I already have many I wish I did this or should have done that in my life. I wonít allow this to be one of them.

My income will be 3 months from the lodge, 1 month as a packer for a moose camp and what ever else I make here and there and my trap lines. I am not doing this by any means for money. Money has nothing to do with it. I have worked very hard to pay things off and sell everything with a payment attached to it. My income will cover what ever bills left (ex payments) and my cost to do my adventures.

My total investment when all said and done to run this trap line will be far more than I think I will make. Over time, as I learn the area, and actually create a line that is producing to its fullest potential without depleting the stock, it will start to create a profit if furs and the economy come back. Once again, another what if. Best part about it is after buying my equipment and supplies for the year, the rest of my cost is sweat, blood and tears. I can live with that.

By no means do I consider myself a professional trapper. I would consider myself a good trapper and very ethical one in every aspect of what I do. I plan on keeping a journal of my adventures, buying a good camera to photo journal my new life as well. I eventually would like to start a web site with my journal for all eyes to see or possibly turn it into a book. I know what I am doing is the dreams of many men across the land, and many would be interested in living the dream along with me.

For me, it is about living in modern day times, with modern day equipments, living the life of an adventurer looking for prosperity in the early days of Alaska. I also want to do this for the benefit of trapping itself. I lived in two states that almost completely stopped fur trapping. It is a dying trade and is a dying heritage in the lower 48 that needs to be kept alive in America. If I can journal and get my stuff out to the public eye, perhaps it can help by changing the views of one or more to help our heritage. I don't consider myself a freedom fighter for trapping, but I am willing to do what ever I can to help educate the public. I already have an opportunity to reach out to Washington and Oregon through a magazine. I am working on closing the deal for a magazine to publish monthly journal updates from the trap lines. I wrote for the editor when he was at another hunting magazine. If this works out, I am planning on writing about the adventures and the benefits of the trap line compared to writing about how to make sets and such. Useless info in my opinion, its not a trapping magazine. Nontrappers don't need to learn to trap; they just need to learn the benefits, and actual real work that is involved in what we do.

By no means do I plan on gaining fame or anything of the sorts, just your average guy coming up to live his dreams. If I don't get published or donít catch a critter, it won't matter a bit, itís the life and adventure that awaits me that will be more than enough for me. I most likely will be as financially broke as I am now or worse in the end, but I will be rich in happiness, and its taken a few years to figure it out, but truly in life, thatís all that ever matters.

Thanks again for the tips, and words of encouragement. I look forward to being a part of the Alaskan dream and also a member of the Trappers Association. I met a few of the guys in Anchorage over the weekend, class act group of guys in my opinion. Canít remember the names, but guys with good advise and tips for me just getting going, if they are here, thanks again!!

Go for it! Not many have the commitment or courage to do what you are doing. This could end up to be the best years of your life, and you won't know unless you go ahead with it. Best of luck to you. As far as the 25 mile line goes, that is pretty hardcore, but should cover lots of different terrain and be productive. For snowshoes, MSR, Tubbs, or Atlas are all high quality. As you know, go with the best set you can afford. Try to find a good balance between floatation and maneuverability. Keep us updated as this unfolds, and bring home some fur!

Default Trapping in SE

My post was not meant to be negative ... don't take it that way.

It has just been my experience that the trappers who come up from south with plans of running long lines like they do down south are very surprised. It's one thing if your on POW Island with 1000 miles of Logging roads (then you have to deal with snow conditions, gas prices, etc.) .... but out of a skiff ... another story.

Once you start bumping unproductive sets around a Doz or two traps will keep you very busy ... I have seen many new trappers make the mistake of setting to many sets. Like I know some guys that went out a set out a Beaver line like they did their Otter line. The next day they had so many Beaver they had to skin for several days non-stop !!!! Just a few beaver sets will keep you busy.

I have seen Idaho Coyote trappers come to POW Island (where the Wolf population is think) with big plans to kill many Wolf. You know how many they got .... right ... none !!!! This is not once but several times over many years.

Otter skinning does take some experience and even then it takes allot time per Otter. Be careful as when fleshing you can 'singe' the hair also. That will be a 30+% deduction from the buyer.

Keep in mind that a Gun is a legal trapping method. Some guys just 'hunt' Otter. Only Beaver cannot be shot.

Admiralty does have some late season Brown Bear action ... you must take that into consideration in you upland December sets.

You cannot construct anything on the National Forest. You are not even supposed to cut a Berry bush !!!! Anything green or alive is off limits. For firewood you can only cut dead down or standing. Below mean high tide is state lands and are under state rules and regs. All upland are USFS. It would be smart for you to check with the USFS in Juneau or Petersburg to make sure you understand all their rules and regs.

Admiralty is not a 'wilderness area' ... wilderness rules don't apply. But it is a 'national monument' ... check with the USFS about any special rules.

Angoon doesn't have Eskimo ....

Default Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by muskeg View Post
    My post was not meant to be negative ... don't take it that way.

It has just been my experience that the trappers who come up from south with plans of running long lines like they do down south are very surprised. It's one thing if your on POW Island with 1000 miles of Logging roads (then you have to deal with snow conditions, gas prices, etc.) .... but out of a skiff ... another story.

Once you start bumping unproductive sets around a Doz or two traps will keep you very busy ... I have seen many new trappers make the mistake of setting to many sets. Like I know some guys that went out a set out a Beaver line like they did their Otter line. The next day they had so many Beaver they had to skin for several days non-stop !!!! Just a few beaver sets will keep you busy.

I have seen Idaho Coyote trappers come to POW Island (where the Wolf population is think) with big plans to kill many Wolf. You know how many they got .... right ... none !!!! This is not once but several times over many years.

Otter skinning does take some experience and even then it takes allot time per Otter. Be careful as when fleshing you can 'singe' the hair also. That will be a 30+% deduction from the buyer.

Keep in mind that a Gun is a legal trapping method. Some guys just 'hunt' Otter. Only Beaver cannot be shot.

Admiralty does have some late season Brown Bear action ... you must take that into consideration in you upland December sets.

You cannot construct anything on the National Forest. You are not even supposed to cut a Berry bush !!!! Anything green or alive is off limits. For firewood you can only cut dead down or standing. Below mean high tide is state lands and are under state rules and regs. All upland are USFS. It would be smart for you to check with the USFS in Juneau or Petersburg to make sure you understand all their rules and regs.

Admiralty is not a 'wilderness area' ... wilderness rules don't apply. But it is a 'national monument' ... check with the USFS about any special rules.

Angoon doesn't have Eskimo ....
    No, I didn't take it negative at all, I took it for what it was worth, great advise.

I also thank you for your tips and help. I am aware of the bears, thats my main reason to sticking with mink earlier in the season then heading to the thicker stuff later, although I am also aware bears can be out at any time. I have become a pretty dang good shot at quick draw with my shotgun and slugs, also with my 44 Mag. I am picking up my 375 H&H in early April and already have 500 rounds loaded. I will practice alot prior to venturing off to far. Another good thing is a friend is coming up in May to work the summer. Hes also a good shot, so he will join me in my scouting adventures, I always feel in bear country two guns are better than one, as long as both know how to shoot em. Being smart is and aware of my surroundings will help also.

I plan on doing quite a bit of scouting through the season to help locate good populations and set locations prior to season starting. 90% of trapping is scouting all times of the year and set location, 5% is bait and lure and 5 % is luck, just my theory on it. I can set 100 sets in prescouted good areas and produce 50 to 70 mink, in cage traps here in WA. I can also take those same 100 cages to a new unscouted area with the same lure, same bait and set styles and maybe only get 10 mink. I have learned that you can never have to many traps, but if you dont have the proper set location you have to many sets. Blind trapping is relying on luck and in my theory, thats only 5% of the equation, not enough for my time or energy.

Hey, your a guide, ever need a packer, camp cook, wood splitter or whatever? You know where I am at, drop me a line, hard working, dedicated and willing to learn. Not a stranger to hard work nor does it scare me. I am free October, November, March, April. If you are ever in need of help in any hunting camp, I am willing to work to help support this venture. That also goes out to anyother guides or outfitters also.

Again, only time will tell. Right now, I have alot of filing and such to do, the wiring my 110 and 120 triggers, then dye then wax land based. Hell, you never know, I may find the mother load and call you to help run the line. Now thats dreaming big. lol.

Thaks again all for the tips. Any other help will be greatly appretiated. I want to make the best of this and produce the best I can for it only shows more of what trapping is all about.

Default Also, on a side note.

Muskeg, I would like to give you the opportunity to understand something. I have been trapping since I was a kid. I know about skinning, and fur putting up, I have several top lots due to my fur handling practices. I run my furs through a tumbler also. I also know how to garment tan, skin for taxidermy, tan for taxidermy and so on. Heck, I even know how to do basic taxidermy.

You said unproductive sets, with 2 dozen traps. Yes, there are many trappers that are like this, I am not one of them. Scouting prior to season will eliminate those days of moving unproductive sets around. Now grant it with time you can fine tune your lines, but setting blind is pretty silly. Yes you may be walking along and fiind a new hot spot, yes indeed set. But if your setting a series of sets based on one set of tracks, again your wasting your time.

I only explain this so you have an understanding that I know what I am doing when it comes to the trapping department. I am new at trapping in Alaska.

On the flip side. I, personally live my life very different than you or the way you think I should. If I based every thing I did by the failures of those in front of me, there would be no such thing as success. This is across the board. Telling me about all the past guys who have tried and the Idaho wolfers also who have failed. I personally don't give a dang about those who came before me. And if you want to help my cause, and help contribute to my book, let me know what was their failures. 99% of it I would say was flying BLIND!!! Who guided them to the field? Did they come alone, did they do any reasearch. Did they spend a year scouting compared to just flying up and starting a line. Big difference. And, furthermore, I explained in full detail about how I didn't want to do this just for catching fur, how do you not understand this. Perhaps you should read my posts of the past to see that this has nothing to do with success by fur hanging in my shed. Success on this venture is doing the adventure itself.

For me, personally, I don't measure my success on how much I make, or how many animals I catch, or so on. I measure success by the basis of completing a task that was set out to do. Thats it. I will say it one last time. I may not catch a thing, that wont matter. As long as I can run my line, document it and perhaps turn it into a book, maybe never. It may just be a fond memory logged back in my mind. I may be 75 years old some day telling a young child about the good ole days on the line in Alaska, where I didn't catch a dang thing but had the time of my life. Thats success my friend.

Never measure a hunter by how many animals he has pulled the trigger on. Measure him as a hunter by the quality care he takes with his trophy, meat handling, and such. Judge his skill on passing on animals instead of just shooting to bring it home. I think you can understand this. Many pepole come to AK with big hopes of shooting a trophy black bear. Many don't reach the goal because they passed on several bears. Was that a success, bet your butt it was, they did it and came out to do what they intended to do. HUNT.

He may go home empty handed but he will be satisfied in himself and the hunt he was on. Then, you have the other kind of guy. The guy that must shoot something, the guy that must have a dead animal or his trip was a failure. So what happens, he winds up shooting a bear thats 100 to 150 pounds, 2 maybe 2.5 years old. Sadly his guide and outfitter put him on the animal. I see it all the time on peoples picture pages. Person on a guided hunt with a 150 pound bear as their trophy. Shot the last day of the trip. Wasted a young prospective trophy in my opinion. This is not me. Personally, if I dont get my fur, no problem. If I dont catch a thing, to me its still 100% success by doing it.

No eskimo in Angoon. Now that is funny. I find it hard to believe that you know every 600 people that live in the village of Angoon, and what nationality they are. Yes, there is an eskimo there at Angoon. He was originally from the Nushagak area and now resides down there. Your comment about how there was none there, was not needed and to be frank was taken like you were saying I have no clue about what I am talking about.

Out of curiosity, you speak like you know Admiralty Island very well and everyone and every critter on it, how long do you spend on the Island every year? Perhaps you could visit and stay down with us at the lodge when you visit. Our door is always open. Maybe with so much Admiralty experience, you can show me the right way to do this and I wont waste any time doing anything else like living my dream of running an Alaskan long line. And I don't mean that in sarcasm either, I am serious. Come show me how to run a productive line with 2 dozen traps and I will be your best friend for life. Although, I have yet to meet a single trapper that runs a line for income and tries to do it with only two dozen traps. Did the guys back in the day only use 2 dozen traps, or did they set more. Might have been less actually, back in the early 1900's they didn't have snow mobiles, and the sleds for dogs were hand made, not the new high tech polymers we have today. Do you think those guys ran less than 5 miles per day? They had snow shoes made of leather and branches didn't they. They must not have gone too far in the woods or did they? Were there equipment and supplies like whats available today? Did they run more or less traps? I truley want to try and replicate the early days, so maybe your right, I am over prepared?

Again, I appretiate you info on telling me the rules of Admiralty as far as constructing camps and such. Useful info for sure. As well as many of the other points you made. I am not trying to be rude either, just letting you know that the past is exactly that. Dont judge a man by what other have done, we are individuals, each of us are given the tools to do anything we wish in life. Its the ones who use them to become a success and those who dont and fail. Bottom Line!!!!!

Any sportsman that thinks his success as an outdoorsman is based on the number animals he's killed or the amount of fish he's caught or the amount of critters he has skinned, he truley is not a sportsman at all.

Default Admiralty

OK .... I retract my statement about an Eskimo in Angoon. I apologize.

I have known several trappers here in SE that were production trappers and made over $10,000 in fur money, annually. They did not run the steel your talking about.

I am not trying to be negative in my response to your posts which is basically asking for information. I don't want to slight your plans in any way.

If you don't want opinions ... from people that have never trapped to people that have in this area ... then why did you ask?

"I personally don't give a dang about those who came before me." .....Then why did you ask?

"this has nothing to do with success by fur hanging in my shed" ..... Then why run .... "9 dozen 120's, 9 dozen #1 LS, 10 dozen 110's, 4 dozen 330's and 4 dozen #3's." .... this is how you started your first post?

"Out of curiosity, you speak like you know Admiralty Island very well and everyone and every critter on it, how long do you spend on the Island every year?" .... obviously you have .... so why ask?

"I, personally live my life very different than you or the way you think I should." ..... your the one that asked for info. I haven't said any thing about how you should live your life.

"Did the guys back in the day only use 2 dozen traps, or did they set more." ..... I have talked with a few oldtimers over the years. Some shot more fur than they trapped.

"I am new at trapping in Alaska." ...... there is only one way to find out ...

Live it don't just Dream it !!!!

Default selling fur

Hey steelie,
    One idea about selling fur. When I lived in Aleknagik (near Dillingham) I would send all of my fur out and get it tanned. Then, a local lodge would sell it for me at the price I put on it. They didn't even take a percentage. I felt that I got a much higher all around price for my fur selling it to tourists who just wanted to take a piece of Alaska home with them. Since you already have a lodge connection, this might be a good idea for you to look into. Have a great adventure.

Default ABC Wolves?

And Steelie .... if you end up catching one of those Admiralty Island Wolf ... be sure to let us know and take lots of pics with good background evidence to prove it ... because contrary to icb12's claim ... I don't believe one has ever sealed a Wolf off the ABC's.

There have been a few reports over the years about a few Wolf sightings on Admiralty ... but I don't believe ever in history on Baranoff or Chichigoff.

Whoah.. I never "claimed" that any wolf had been shot/or trapped and sealed off of the ABC's. I said they were there. I would bet you all of 20$ (my life savings at the moment) that they are on Admiralty.

My yarder engineer from Kake allegedly shot a wolf off of Admiralty last year. Take that for what it is.. a claim made by an old logger.

The Juneau Empire had an article. Some time Back, over 12 months ago on the wolf sightings on Admiralty. A US fish and wildlife biologist, Ed Grossman, reported watching a she wolf and a male dog on consecutive evenings near King Salmon Bay. The fear was that the two were hopping on the good foot and doing the bad thing, producing crossbreed pups on the island. Mr. Joel Bennett was present at the meeting where Mr. Grossman testified to this. Mr Bennett is a former AK BOG member if I'm not mistaken. That was over a year ago. It has been my experience with wolves that where there is one; there is more. You may only see one; but there are more there. You may have had conflicting experience.. but this has been mine.

What was it; 2002 when wolf trapping was shut down on Douglas Island because it was claimed that ALL 7 wolves roaming the island were killed.
    Lo and behold; in 2004, wolf trapping reopened on Douglas Island, with a limit of 3 a year. This was a huge controversy.. there were many reasons for the reopening.. But in my mind I sincerly doubt there were only 7 wolves on douglas. Just as I sincerly doubt that there is only one on Admiralty.

Surveyors working outside of Angoon 2 summers ago; people I would trust with my life; claim to have heard wolves during the weeks they spent there.

The Lodge owner at Pybus claims to have been seeing wolves in the last three years, according to the OP.

But; as of 1994 the USFWS was still claiming the ABCs as wolf free.

Soo maybe or maybe not. But I got 20$ that says there are wolves on Admiralty island. I'll give you Chichagof and Baranof.. those remain doubtful-though my old man will tell you he's seen them when we were living on Chichagof; False island, across peril straights from Appleton cove.

Hopefully steelie will get himself a big bad wolf and we'll all know for sure soon enough. For that matter; as controversial as the wolf population there is, you might want to check with f&g and see if its even kosher to kill wolves that may or may not be on Admiralty island.

I said there were reported sightings on Admiralty .... I wouldn't doubt there are / were a few. It's close enough to the mainland or Douglas Island.

There is also reported sightings of Bigfoot on Prince of Wales Island ....

I don't have a copy of the current trapping regs but there is a hunting season for Wolf in unit #4. (hides must be sealed within 30 days of kill) ...

Muskeg, I didn't mean it the way you took it or perhaps I took what you said wrong, either way I asked for tips on running a long line in AK on Admiralty. I wasn't asking who tried and failed or what they did elsewhere. I was stating what I was going to do, how I planned on doing it and what I had to do it with. I took what you were telling me as everything I said I was doing, you were saying too much, cant be done, you know several guys who tried and failed, personally, not what I was asking. I do appretiate all the help you offered and advise, it just was the other stuff that was nothing to do what I asked and perhaps, was taken wrong? I thank you for your help, and again, like I said, i wasnt being rude when I said if you have the experience come on up. I am an honest guy and speak my mind, if I was trying to be brash, most would know it. I stated how many traps I have and why I am bringing that many, read my posts, actually read them. In a year I could be running a line in the far north, never know what life brings you, but one thing for sure about me, I am never under prepared and always makes sure I have enough equipment for anything that arises. Just my way I guess.

Maybe I should answer like this so you understand better what I meant.

This is your post to I answer.

ANSWER:

I never said I was going to run my line out of a skiff, mainly walking it. I will however go between cabin (tents and lodge in my skiff). Again, personally I took it wrong and took it as another cant be done. I dont do well with that, another mans failure is another success. I know my body, my experiences and where I am doing this. I have like I said, been planning and training to do this for many years. I do run 8 mile loops on my cat line. Thats with 56 pound cage traps (2) strapped to a frame each go in to add to the line, each trip going further in with the weight, only to have to bring it all out. Walk in WA crap. I know I can do what I have plans to do, so hearing it cant be done when you dont know anything about the individual is not what I was asking for.? Maybe I am wrong, hell been there done that.

ANSWER:
    I answered this in another post but also want to note, beaver is a different story. I can clean skin a beaver in about 45 minutes. I can rough skin (which is my preferred method) and flesh in about 30 combined. I might want to add that my fur as always gets skinned, fur turned inside and frozen flat as quick as I can. I rough skin and freeze everything. I am running a line, a line which consumes 5 to 7 hours of constant walking in snow here in WA. I know it will be worse in AK. But I do so for during the season, I can put my energy and efforts towards trapping. After season, then I spend time doing fur put up. Comes out 100% better when your rested, not rushed, cold wanting sleep but gotta get stuff on stretchers. I plan on the same routine up there. I am never in a rush to get my fur to the auctions. I dont sell to fur trades but a select few items.

This is what I meant how I live my life. I didnt ask about others failures, I didnt ask about pow or anyone who has tried it. I asked about Admiralty, and tips on setting a long line for Marten, snow shoes and a few others. I live my life to what I do, not based on failures of others. Did they go home happy or pissed they never got anything. If they were pissed, they were not there for the same reasons I will be. Thats also what I meant about having alot of traps. Well, yes, with the amount of traps I am bringing, I am planning on catching good numbers of fur, spread out over a good distance not to hurt my supply. Why would any man buy steel and set it if he didnt intend to catch fur. Your missing my point. For me, its not about catching the fur and money from it, its about running the line. Yes, I would love to beat my best mink year of 81(cage trapped). Bet your bottom dollar. But lets say I set 250 marten and mink sets. lets say I run a 25 mile line like I intend to do, at a 5 mile per day pace, run from dec through end of season. Lots of work, sun up to sun down then head lamps and lantern, day in and day out, without fail at the end of the seaon after the line is pulled and I finished out what I set to do it wont matter how many furs I have to flesh and put up. I would love to catch three digit numbers, wouldn't anyone, with the traps I have, eventually that may be a goal. But if I set all that steel and I only get 30, same smile at the end of the day when the fur check arrives form my buyers.

I knew beaver could not be shot, but not other furbearers. Thanks.

In an earlier post you will see where I stated I am planned on running a mink line earlier then heading to the woods. Bears are the reason. I can run my mink line from the shore with better view and open sight when alone. I will hopefully be getting a good trapline dog to help along the way, but thats another question for later on. I didn't know mink in SE were not singed by mid January, in WA we quit usually a bit after the new year. I also will be running a few mink boxes. They are designed from my caging days. I had a sled in WA and trapped from it. I made cage traps that were designed to be set on the shore and when the door dropped, it triggers a tip up style small 1 inch white flag. Making a flag indicating a catch. Once the line was set I could cruise up river at a good click and know where a trap was set off without ever stopping. Worked awesome( another line time management thing I came up with for I was running a business and line at the same time). I may do similar set up with my coni boxes. set along the shoreline, where visible, on drowners, mink goes in , springs trap mink goes into drowner and as the trap snapped it set off the flag to go up. You can run alot of steel like that. Might try it. I can say, I made one, caged a muskrat and put him in a big cage with the coni flag as I call it. took him a few days before he went into the coni box for his carrot but it worked like a charm. I could see the flag up in the cage when I pulled in the drive. Might call me lazy, but time is everything. You do have to check bait and the traps every so often, just to make sure you didn't miss a catch or lost bait. Game department in WA considered it a legit check of a catch every 24 hours. I have them actually set up for all size conibear set ups. My 330 stabilizer has it attched and when the traps springs the flag goes up. These I paint the flag the green, this way when its in the water it looks like a leaf, it the air a leaf. hidden well and critter friendly No, they have yet to be tried on a line fully.

I apologize if I took what you said in your post wrongly, like I said, I have been wrong before.

Thanks to the young man also who sent me the details via pm. kick butt!!!

ps, the lodge owner also states to me that there are reoports of sightings over the past three years.

Yes, time will tell on wolf on Admiralty. I was also told by a woman in the coast guard office that she sailed up my way every summer with her husband, they seen wolves. I should email her and see if she has pictures.

Oh, we wont need proof if I catch a wolf on Admiralty, Troopers will be called. Regs state wolf is open throughout unit? I am new at the regs to, so I may be reading this wrong. In WA you needed a lawyer to read the dang regs.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast