Thread: Upper Kenai - 03/05/09

Default Upper Kenai - 03/05/09

Has anyone been by the river to see how much ice is around. This time last year we slayed but lots of ice. Just hoping for an update if anyone has been in that area? Also wondering how Hidden has been lately?

Upper Kenai is fishable from bridge down to about the ferry crossing cable as of Wednesday. Some ice shelf the farther down you go from Kenai Lake. Warm yesterday so would if anything more ice free waters now.

Default river condition...

I crossed the Kenai Lk bridge both Tues (the 3rd) and Wed. (the 4rth) and saw a man fishing just downriver of the brdg. He had a fish on. The next day, on my way back, I saw a guy fishing just into the lake above the bridge. He did not have a fish on.
    The river that u could see from along the highway looked pretty slushy to me. MAYBE fishable. But I think I would pass and I fish pretty late in the yr for steelhead. The bridge area is your best bet I would say.....Cod

It is still locked in tight past gaurd rail (below the ferry crossing) (jims is locked tight too so dont do it). Put in at the bridge. Row up to the ice shelf. Drift down and you will pick up fish. I was there on there 2 weeks ago and flew over the river today. BEST BET. Drift bridge down about 1000 yards and back row and do it again. I have video of me and my buddies knocking the snot of of fish there 2 weeks ago. Flesh, ESL's and beads
    Last edited by alaskachuck; 04-16-2009 at 20:17.
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

Chuck - I thought you guys only caught one trout between your group the last time you were there.... I'm confused.
    www.akfishology.com

fishing isn't about life or death... it's more important than that.

Only one worth posting. Lots nemos and lots of silvers. We cant brag on the little ones. sorry for the confusion

Quote Originally Posted by alaskachuck View Post
    It is still locked in tight past gaurd rail (below the ferry crossing) (jims is locked tight too so dont do it). Put in at the bridge. Row up to the ice shelf. Drift down and you will pick up fish. I was there on there 2 weeks ago and flew over the river today. BEST BET. Drift bridge down about 1000 yards and back row and do it again. I have video of me and my buddies knocking the snot of of fish there 2 weeks ago. Flesh, ESL's and beads
    Jealousy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Nice bow!

Proudly Serving Since 1997
    The circle is complete again, finally. The force is once again balanced!
    "Only a Sith deals in absolutes in regards to fishing!"

Default Hey Sith

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskan Salmon Sith View Post
    Jealousy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Nice bow!

If it was not for you protecting and serving our country I would not be able to fish. I just wanted to say THANK YOU

Quote Originally Posted by alaskachuck View Post
    If it was not for you protecting and serving our country I would not be able to fish. I just wanted to say THANK YOU
    I second that. Well said Chuck.
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Thumbs up

With great folks like most on this board, I find great pleasure in providing the service that I do. Alas, there is light at the end of the tunnel I believe.

Thank you for the support, fellas! Can't wait to get home and get the line wet again.

Proudly Serving Since 1997
    The circle is complete again, finally. The force is once again balanced!
    "Only a Sith deals in absolutes in regards to fishing!"