Thread: Cool old timer.

Talking Cool old timer.

I just watched a show on 360north.org A biography on a guy called Dick Proenneke. He built is own cabin up north and lived off the land for 35 years or so back in the fortys. Til he was 80 something. Those were the days.

The book about him is also worth reading. It's called "One Mans Wilderness". Oh, the public libraries also have 2 or more videos about ol Dicky and they are fun to watch.

I have read the book several time and love watching that program on PBS. The program doesn't do it justice, you really need to read "One Man's Wilderness". You won't be sorry you did.

And yes I watched it again today too.

Default Love it

I have it recorded on the DVR and have watched it about 30 times in the last six months. I have not read the book yet, but will soon. Twin Lakes looks like a beautiful area...of course doesn't most of Alaska.

Talking One mans wilderness...

Funny how every time you watch it something new jumps out.When he was roofing it, he also installed a roof jack for a stove.Makes me wonder what kind of stove he had to suppliment his fireplace.Couldn't have been worth a **** if it stayed a comfy"40 degrees" in the cabin.GR

There is another book full of his diary entries too

More Readings from One Man's Wilderness: The Hournals of Richard L. Proenneke 1974-1980

Great stuff....one day when I retire..................

Who built the cabin just down the lake........that Richard lived in for two summers while building his cabin........???? I wonder if Richard worshiped him, as a pioneer, like we worship Richard now.

Talking worship...

Not really sure that is the word we use.I would say admire, because I have wood worked my entire life, and am not sure I would have the stamina or drive to use a crosscut saw and a rip saw to mill lumber by hand.Although without a doubt could have made the spoon

Default My first winter....

My first winter in AK I saw the "One mans Wilderness" on PBS, and was instanly in Awe. Richard (****_gets_stared_out) was one hell of a character. Time and pressure and Man can do anything he wants. My favorite part is the cabin door. He was a true master of his trade. Tell me what kind of job can you get where you get to retire at 51...... Im first in line.

There's some information on camping near the cabin and other items of interest at http://www.nps.gov/lacl/historycultu...ekes-cabin.htm. The home page for Lake Clark National Park & Preserve is www.nps.gov/lacl

Quote Originally Posted by byrd_hntr View Post
    Tell me what kind of job can you get where you get to retire at 51...... Im first in line.
    He retired from the navy as a diesel mechanic. This from the book. The book fills in a lot of blanks the show leaves open. Also loaded with lots of color photos of the cabin interior. Worth the price if only for the pic's. If you liked the show you'll love the book.

The cabin down the lake that he stayed in while constructing his cabin belonged to a close friend from when he was working in the navy. The stove did not do too bad heating the cabin if you consider it was overcoming a total temp difference of about 70-80 degrees, comparing the -30 to -40 outside air temp to the 40 deg. inside temp. Logs are not the best in terms of insulation. R values of about 1.5 per inch on average. And then consider the fact that there's only a couple of inches of thickness where one log lies upon the other.

There are some accounts out there that somewhat vilify him. I've seen it reported that once he got his slice of heaven he worked hard to keep anyone else from doing what he had there at the lake. It was made obvious in the book that he did not condone the sport hunting that went on in the area. He was reported to have burned down several cabins on the lake that he deemed "abandoned" though others did not.

Whichever way you lean you have to admit, he was a hell of a carpenter and innovative in how he overcame problems.

Hmm is the book on Amazon. Ill have to check it out. And Im just a bit too old to be joining the military, althought I wouldn't mind being whipped into shape.

Here'sthe book on Amazon. $11, give or take. Worth every penny. I tink I paid twice that, but it was the cover price. Still worth it.

http://www.amazon.com/One-Mans-Wilde...7178452&sr=8-1

I've bought two of the Dick Proenneke DVD's over a year ago and continue to watch them again and again. I always get a laugh when he uses his waders. From reading the above posts it sounds like his books are in my future also.