Thread: Why I carry a gun...

Default Why I carry a gun...

Why I Carry a Gun…

My old grandpa once said to me, "Son, there comes a time in every man's life when he stops bustin' knuckles and starts bustin' caps and usually it's when he becomes too old to take an ass whoopin'. I don't carry a gun to kill people. I carry a gun to keep from being killed. I don't carry a gun to scare people. I carry a gun because sometimes this world can be a scary place. I don't carry a gun because I'm paranoid. I carry a gun because there are real threats in the world. I don't carry a gun because I'm evil. I carry a gun because I have lived long enough to see the evil in the world. I don't carry a gun because I hate the government. I carry a gun because I understand the limitations of government. I don't carry a gun because I'm angry. I carry a gun so that I don't have to spend the rest of my life hating myself for failing to be prepared. I don't carry a gun because I want to shoot someone. I carry a gun because I want to die at a ripe old age in my bed, and not on a sidewalk somewhere tomorrow afternoon. I don't carry a gun because I'm a cowboy. I carry a gun because, when I die and go to Heaven, I want to be a cowboy. I don't carry a gun to make me feel like a man. I carry a gun because men know how to take care of themselves and the ones they love. I don't carry a gun because I feel inadequate. I carry a gun because, unarmed and facing three armed thugs, I am inadequate. I don't carry a gun because I love it. I carry a gun because I love life and the people who make it meaningful to me. "Police Protection" is an oxymoron. Free citizens must protect themselves. Police do not protect you from crime; they usually just investigate the crime after it happens and then call someone in to clean up the mess. Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take an ass whoopin'." .....author unknown (but obviously brilliant) Remember the average response time to a 911 call is over 4 minutes. The average response time of a 357 magnum is 1400 FPS.

Thumbs up

Good story, but I'd make one correction... while the average police response time in a "big city" might be 4 minutes, in Alaska it may be up to several hours depending on location. I'd guess the average "suburban" areas in South Central might come back with an average response of about 20-30 minutes. A lot of bad things can happen in 20-30 minutes.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Quote Originally Posted by JOAT View Post
    Good story, but I'd make one correction... while the average police response time in a "big city" might be 4 minutes, in Alaska it may be up to several hours depending on location. I'd guess the average "suburban" areas in South Central might come back with an average response of about 20-30 minutes. A lot of bad things can happen in 20-30 minutes.
    Close Joat...If they show up!!
    EricL

Nice post Gary.
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Smile count me in...

Makes me fell like I am amongst friends.

Thumbs up

My thoughts exactly. Good stuff Gary.

Thumbs up thanks!

Thanks for sharing. One of the best posts I've read on this forum...it says it all.
    If you like getting kicked by a mule...then you'll "love" shooting my .458.

Love it!!!!!! Right on the mark and is the truth for many of us. Thanks
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Great post - In this day and age we could probably add a couple more reasons and this might just be one for the near future.
    http://shock.military.com:80/Shock/v...=185279&page=1

Here's a slightly different take on the same topic.
    http://www.rightsidenews.com/2009022...n-america.html

Quote Originally Posted by EricL View Post
    Close Joat...If they show up!!

Their no dummies. It's safer to sweep up ashes then put out a fire.

As a friend recently told me, and this made sense,"I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy". GUNBUGS

Default why I carry a gun

succinct, eloquent and dead on.
    I am a law enforcement officer in North Carolina, no longer on patrol, am now with the state probation parole.
    I keep telling people, the police are here to clean up and take great notes,
    they cannot protect you, they show up after the criminal activity.
    I carry ALL the time, and I mean ALL the time.
    I wish to see my Grandkids, I want to take my family on vacations, I want to meet my Great grandchildren,
    There are more convicts and thugs out there than people wish to know,
    it is so bad that even when walking the dogs in my townhouse community I am carrying.
    Why, lets see, bank robbery guys flee to adjacent apartment complex then flee on foot thru neighborhood daytime, b&e suspects flee adjacent homes daylight hours, high speed chases in our dead end out of the way community, armed fugitive in another adjacent apartment complex, flees police dog, accidentally shoots himself in head while running toward my community ( I really really enjoyed talking to my old buddies on the local force about that one.............)
    AND the convicted sex offenders and serious criminals on probation and parole living in the immediate area, and this is a Nice clean quiet neighborhood, everyone else is in a Glass bubble, Good for them, the next victims..........................
    The Police are not here to protect you, they are here to respond to requests for assistance, if they feel like it, if they are available, and if they can find you.
    How is that for an overview

Swede..

Insightful post. Former corrections officer myself about an hour south of you in Rockingham.
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Default same

saw that email string a couple weeks back.

When I came back from my second one year tour in Iraq I bought a sig sauer 45 stainless model. I took my son on vacation to florida for the theme parks and to visit my grandparents. I received much criticism from my grandfather when he had opened the center console of my rental car. He told me that the gun would bring much more trouble than it's worth. I love and respect my grandfather more than any man out there but I had to disagree with him. I've also come under criticism for buying an Akita for home protection. I take the criticsm in the most humble manner and smile to myself knowing that I'm in the right, I don't even argue with the opposition. Having a 180 pound powerhouse of a dog that tip toes like a cat in the dark seems to complement the gun very well. I can sleep more comfortable knowing that my family is safe and protected by a couragous, powerful dog while I'm deployed for a year at a time. Akitas are very weary of strangers by nature, but will set there and let our two young kids jump all over him with a smile on his face. He also will take a nap in 30 below zero, he loves the cold weather of AK. What do you gents think of a dog to compliment the gun?

It sounds like you have a good dog. I think dogs are excelent for home protection.

The dog is normally a valuable asset to any household relative to alerting you to the presence of other individuals or animals. As you know from your Iraqi experience, there is no quiet way of approaching a location with dogs present unless you passed through the area previously and left food laced with barbiturates and even then that was no 100% guarantee. I never have liked the idea of training a dog to be an attack dog, for lack of a better description, as I believe the dog then becomes a liability to the family. Your breed is a great choice and just training him to be obedient and providing a loving environment for the dog is all that needs to be done to make him a “loyal” friend who will alert you to any stranger in the area. That said, if a BG is in your area, he will normally pass up your residence for an easier one (without a dog/window bars/obvious camera surveillance etc) for a home invasion, if that is his intent. The human predator always seeks the easiest victim.