Thread: Diamond D, S&W 460V

Default Diamond D, S&W 460V

Got my Diamond D holster today for my S&W 460 V. I based my purchase off the reviews the holster gets here and what I could see of it at Dave's web site. All I can say in the little time that I have had it on is "Wow, You Guys Ain't Lying"! This is a GREAT holster for such a heavy gun! I'll have more to say about it later after I have had it for awhile.

I already have two questions though and I'll ask you guys before I call Dave. 1) Does this thing break in with use? As it is right now it takes both hands and a considerable amount of pull to get the gun out. Everything seems to fit properly and I'm certain I don't have the wrong holster or anything like that. But nonetheless, stiff is an under statement. I don't think I'll be practicing any quick draws tonight. 2) Do you guys use any leather perservative or leather oil on your holster? That might help with the break in and it would also protect the leather from rain and such just like it does boots.

Dan

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Mine has a tension screw. I think they all do. Just loosen it and set to suit your preferences.

Mine also has a hammer strap, that I DON'T use when I'm wearing the holster. The gun fits tight and won't fall out, yet when I grab and yank, it comes free, slicker than owl poo, poo.

I've not used any leather treatment. I didn't think it would be necessary, since mine will be protected by my rain gear during wet conditions. Maybe, something with wax might help keep it dry. ????

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

My brother bought one for his 454 ruger alaskan and it took both of us to pull the gun out the first time so we stuck it back in and waited about 2 days and pulled it out with little trouble. Now it slides in and out like smitty said slicker than owl poo poo. I bought one for my S&W 500 and it was good from the get go. So if I were you I would just store it in there for a while and see what happens.

Default Nice choice...

When I received the Diamond D holster for my 460v it was the exact same way...and it came with the tension screw already about as loose as it would get. Don't worry, it will break-in beautifully. I kept my gun in it for a day or two (to stretch it a little bit), but I would also holster and unholster it maybe 100-150 times while I was watching tv. This really seemed to help. I never use the hammer strap either, as it holds onto my gun so well...if it does ever break-in to the point where I'm concerned about my gun falling out if I lean over, I've always got the tension screw to make it as tight as I want it.

I've worn mine for extended periods of time, in both hot/cold weather, on some fairly arduous hikes...always very comfortable (even though the 460v is not the daintiest of guns to carry). Dave makes a great product. I hope you enjoy your purchase as I have.

Thanks for the info guys. I backed the set screw all of the way out and the gun has been in the holster all day. It is still stiff but I'll leave the gun in the holster for a few days then start working the gun in and out. It should break in with all of those things.

Dan

Well I have always made my own holsters and never in my life bought a holster new. But I just ordered one after reading how everyone loves Diamond D holsters here and having no time to make my own for now. Now I can't wait to get my hands on it and my 460V in it. Got the full basket stamp so it will go with all my other leather and went for the chest rig also. Knowing the price of good leather today and all that it takes to make a holster I don't see how you could get a better value than they are selling.

Andy

Default Correction

Quote Originally Posted by ADfields View Post
    Well I have always made my own holsters and never in my life bought a holster new. But I just ordered one after reading how everyone loves Diamond D holsters here and having no time to make my own for now. Now I can't wait to get my hands on it and my 460V in it. Got the full basket stamp so it will go with all my other leather and went for the chest rig also. Knowing the price of good leather today and all that it takes to make a holster I don't see how you could get a better value than they are selling. Andy
    Correction, it's Rob at Simply Rugged not Diamond D.
    Don't know how I did that, but I sure did.

I shopped both on line for some time and both look like great workmanship and value. I like the pancake holsters and have made many, they don't dig in like others.

Andy

Default diamond D

I have had mine about 7-8 months. Also have a S&W 460. It to was very stiff when I got it but over time has been broken in. I have not treated it at all and I have had it out in the sound a whole lot. It is a great holster for the gun.