Thread: No More Felt in SE 2011

Default No More Felt in SE 2011

Passed this BOF session Probably a good thing, but a heads up to everyone
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

I don't even know what that means. Care to elaborate?

What are they going to cover their pool tables with??

Default Felt

A news release from ADF&G dated feb 27 2009 states that as of Jan 1 2011 no more felt soled boots will be allowed in south east fresh waters. They go on to say that although not documented that travelling anglers have been transmitting diseases via felt sole wading boots. Never the less they will be banned.

Default I'm lost!

Ok I am lost here too. Is there going to be a textile police now?

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Default Velcro

Velcro will be affiixed to the rocks on the shoreline to prevent the carriers from entering the streams. Who can afford policeing now a days?

Default Why

Why not ban felt soled boots on non-residents only?

Quote Originally Posted by Daveinthebush View Post
    I think it would be more effective to ban them on charter boats.

If i wear boots here in MN and then go to AK and they have felt soles i can carry organisms with me. If I have non felt boots they will most likely dry and thus kill the oranisms. As for residents not being covered by the ban its simple. You already have all the indiginous organisms up there. We have VHS going on down here and thats some really bad stuff. Its not native to us here. We have a BIG problem with invasives. Zebra mussles and all kinds of bad ****. Much of it cam from ships ballast tanks being emptied in the great lakes and it spreads from there, Fish kills can be huge from it.
    Last edited by Brian M; 03-05-2009 at 20:52.

Quote Originally Posted by Salt Chukar View Post
    A news release from ADF&G dated feb 27 2009 states that as of Jan 1 2011 no more felt soled boots will be allowed in south east fresh waters. They go on to say that although not documented that travelling anglers have been transmitting diseases via felt sole wading boots. Never the less they will be banned.
    Oh, ok...the "soles" part was a fairly important bit of info missing. I was wondering who fished with felt and how....

It does kind of make sense, though.

I can't wait to see them enforce this

Default Felt

The whole reason for this is to prevent Whirling Disease. http://http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Myxobolus_cerebralis
    It's pretty nasty. If you go out to some east coast streams they have buckets of a bleach and water mixture to dunk your boots in when leaving the streams.

Thats typical for this forum

Default Why?

Quote Originally Posted by steelheader View Post
    Thats typical for this forum
    Why do you say that is typical? If a local person only fishes that area, what is he going to contaminate or bring in? Confused!

don't Alaska residents ever leave to fish other states ?

Dave, whirling disease and dydimo has been documented in Alaska, it is thought that most places it is too cold to affect the trout, however southeast is much warmer than most of Alaska and whirling disease has a worse effect on cutthroats, so a resident could spread it around pretty easy, which is not a good thing, also residents do fish out of state on occasion.
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Default Good AKPM

Good answer. It is the first I have ever heard of it up here. Yes some people can afford to fish out of state..... maybe someday if I win the Alaskan State Lottery and be able too.

What about canvas wading shoes, sneakers and such. Will they carry it too?

Good answer. It is the first I have ever heard of it up here. Yes some people can afford to fish out of state..... maybe someday if I win the Alaskan State Lottery and be able too.

What about canvas wading shoes, sneakers and such. Will they carry it too?
    I think they are more worried about the felt as it takes much longer to dry out thus will carry the disease in a viable state longer increasing the risk of spreading the disease.

Statewide News Release

(Released: January 24, 2007)

DNA OF MYXOBOLUS CEREBRALIS DETECTED AT ELMENDORF STATE FISH HATCHERY: NO CLINICAL WHIRLING DISEASE OR PARASITE STAGES OBSERVED
    After years of negative results from microscopic testing by the Alaska Department of Fish and Game and the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, a new, much more sensitive molecular test based on DNA (called Quantitative Polymerase Chain Reaction or QPCR) has detected evidence of the parasite Myxobolus cerebralis (Mc) in some rainbow trout from Elmendorf State Fish Hatchery in Anchorage. However, there has been no evidence of the fish disease associated with this parasite, nor has any form of the parasite itself been observed in Alaska.

Sixty rainbow trout, divided into 12 groups, were tested by Oregon State University. Results were positive in one batch of 5 trout. A second test of 60 different individual fish confirmed the first test by finding 3 rainbow trout that had DNA from the parasite.

The Mc parasite causes “whirling disease” in rainbow trout and other members of the salmonid family. The heads of diseased fish may contain up to 2 - 3 million spores of Mc. The Elmendorf Hatchery rainbow trout samples contained an estimated 100 to 1,000 spores, a level too small to be detected with standard microscopic tests, and too small for the fish to show any signs of the disease. Using national standard methods for fish health certification, these fish would be considered free of Mc infection because of the absence of observable parasite spores from enzymatic digests or histologic sections of the head cartilage. Eating or handling fish that have any form of Mc poses no health risk to humans, pets, birds, or other non-salmon wildlife.

To date there is no evidence of the presence of the Mc parasite anywhere else in Alaska outside of Elmendorf Hatchery. There is no way of knowing whether the presence of Mc in the Elmendorf Hatchery dates from the last rainbow trout transferred there from the Lower 48 states about 30 years ago or is a new introduction into Ship Creek from sport fishing activities.

ADF&G has a rigorous fish disease policy, which would require the agency to depopulate the hatchery if there had been any evidence of clinical whirling disease or actual observation of any Mc parasite life stage. Although this has not happened, the Mc-positive QPCR results are confirmed. Therefore, as a precautionary measure, no fish of any species from Elmendorf State Fish Hatchery will be transplanted into an open watershed. Fish will only be stocked into lakes that have no inlet or outlet at any time of year (landlocked) and have no reproducing salmonid fish populations. As a result, over 94,000 hatchery fish that otherwise would have been destined for open watersheds will be transplanted into closed systems in 2007. King salmon will continue to be stocked in Anchorage’s Ship Creek, the most likely source of the parasite and because the stream has already received potentially contaminated discharge water from Elmendorf Hatchery. However, no Elmendorf Hatchery fish will be transferred to the Fort Richardson Hatchery. The stocking of open systems will resume when the state builds a new well-water-only hatchery near the existing Elmendorf facility in the next 4 -7 years which will eliminate the potential of introducing Mc from Ship Creek water.

The Department is planning to investigate populations of rainbow trout in selected high risk watersheds in Alaska using the new, more sensitive QPCR test in conjunction with other standard methods for the detection of Mc. Fish at the Elmendorf Hatchery will be closely monitored for clinical signs of whirling disease and visible life stages of the Mc parasite.

The Department urges everyone to remember that Alaska’s laws against moving fish among waterways are very strict. No live fish may be transported or released into the waters of the state, except with a special ADF&G permit. Alaskans are now especially cautioned not to move members of the salmonid family from one waterway to another. If fish are cleaned in the field, clean them only in the waters from which they were caught.

For more information on whirling disease, consult the Whirling Disease Foundation website, http://www.whirling-disease.org/. For more information on Alaska’s hatchery program, fish disease policy and invasive species, visit the Alaska Department of Fish and Game online at http://www.adfg.state.ak.us/, or contact Dr. Theodore Meyers, Chief Fisheries Pathologist in Juneau at (907) 465-3577.

Hmm... and what about the felt liners inside my X-tra Tuffs? Depending how it's worded and enforced this is a HUGE can of worms to be opening up...

-Case
    M/V CanCan - 34' SeaWolf - Bandon, OR
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Default hey dave

what if we have a proof of purchase that we got our felt sole waders in alaska with a date off the same year or month would it then be ok fore us nonresident fishheads to have felt soles ? i like rubber hipers my self i buy a new pair every year and give them to a local when im done with my 1 week trip ive given away 7 pairs so far ,,,,,any body need size 10s