Results 1 to 20 of 20

Thread: No More Felt in SE 2011

  1. #1
    Member ak_powder_monkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Eagle River/ Juneau
    Posts
    5,154

    Default No More Felt in SE 2011

    Passed this BOF session Probably a good thing, but a heads up to everyone
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

  2. #2
    Member coho slayer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    2,852

    Default

    I don't even know what that means. Care to elaborate?

  3. #3
    Member DRIFTER_016's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Yellowknife, NWT
    Posts
    3,318

    Default

    What are they going to cover their pool tables with??

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    183

    Default Felt

    A news release from ADF&G dated feb 27 2009 states that as of Jan 1 2011 no more felt soled boots will be allowed in south east fresh waters. They go on to say that although not documented that travelling anglers have been transmitting diseases via felt sole wading boots. Never the less they will be banned.

  5. #5
    Moderator Daveinthebush's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Valdez, Alaska
    Posts
    4,402

    Default I'm lost!

    Ok I am lost here too. Is there going to be a textile police now?

    Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    183

    Default Velcro

    Velcro will be affiixed to the rocks on the shoreline to prevent the carriers from entering the streams. Who can afford policeing now a days?

  7. #7
    Moderator Daveinthebush's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Valdez, Alaska
    Posts
    4,402

    Default Why

    Why not ban felt soled boots on non-residents only?

    Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

  8. #8
    Member DRIFTER_016's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Yellowknife, NWT
    Posts
    3,318

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Daveinthebush View Post
    Why not ban felt soled boots on non-residents only?
    I think it would be more effective to ban them on charter boats.

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    2,448

    Default

    If i wear boots here in MN and then go to AK and they have felt soles i can carry organisms with me. If I have non felt boots they will most likely dry and thus kill the oranisms. As for residents not being covered by the ban its simple. You already have all the indiginous organisms up there. We have VHS going on down here and thats some really bad stuff. Its not native to us here. We have a BIG problem with invasives. Zebra mussles and all kinds of bad ****. Much of it cam from ships ballast tanks being emptied in the great lakes and it spreads from there, Fish kills can be huge from it.
    Last edited by Brian M; 03-05-2009 at 20:52.

  10. #10
    Member coho slayer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    2,852

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Salt Chukar View Post
    A news release from ADF&G dated feb 27 2009 states that as of Jan 1 2011 no more felt soled boots will be allowed in south east fresh waters. They go on to say that although not documented that travelling anglers have been transmitting diseases via felt sole wading boots. Never the less they will be banned.
    Oh, ok...the "soles" part was a fairly important bit of info missing. I was wondering who fished with felt and how....

    It does kind of make sense, though.

    I can't wait to see them enforce this

  11. #11

    Default Felt

    The whole reason for this is to prevent Whirling Disease. http://http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Myxobolus_cerebralis
    It's pretty nasty. If you go out to some east coast streams they have buckets of a bleach and water mixture to dunk your boots in when leaving the streams.

  12. #12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Daveinthebush View Post
    Why not ban felt soled boots on non-residents only?
    Thats typical for this forum

  13. #13
    Moderator Daveinthebush's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Valdez, Alaska
    Posts
    4,402

    Default Why?

    Quote Originally Posted by steelheader View Post
    Thats typical for this forum
    Why do you say that is typical? If a local person only fishes that area, what is he going to contaminate or bring in? Confused!

    Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

  14. #14

    Default

    don't Alaska residents ever leave to fish other states ?

  15. #15
    Member ak_powder_monkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Eagle River/ Juneau
    Posts
    5,154

    Default

    Dave, whirling disease and dydimo has been documented in Alaska, it is thought that most places it is too cold to affect the trout, however southeast is much warmer than most of Alaska and whirling disease has a worse effect on cutthroats, so a resident could spread it around pretty easy, which is not a good thing, also residents do fish out of state on occasion.
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

  16. #16
    Moderator Daveinthebush's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Valdez, Alaska
    Posts
    4,402

    Default Good AKPM

    Good answer. It is the first I have ever heard of it up here. Yes some people can afford to fish out of state..... maybe someday if I win the Alaskan State Lottery and be able too.

    What about canvas wading shoes, sneakers and such. Will they carry it too?

    Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

  17. #17
    Member DRIFTER_016's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Yellowknife, NWT
    Posts
    3,318

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Daveinthebush View Post
    Good answer. It is the first I have ever heard of it up here. Yes some people can afford to fish out of state..... maybe someday if I win the Alaskan State Lottery and be able too.

    What about canvas wading shoes, sneakers and such. Will they carry it too?
    I think they are more worried about the felt as it takes much longer to dry out thus will carry the disease in a viable state longer increasing the risk of spreading the disease.

  18. #18
    Moderator kingfisherktn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Ketchikan, AK
    Posts
    4,076

    Default

    Statewide News Release

    (Released: January 24, 2007)

    DNA OF MYXOBOLUS CEREBRALIS DETECTED AT ELMENDORF STATE FISH HATCHERY: NO CLINICAL WHIRLING DISEASE OR PARASITE STAGES OBSERVED
    After years of negative results from microscopic testing by the Alaska Department of Fish and Game and the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, a new, much more sensitive molecular test based on DNA (called Quantitative Polymerase Chain Reaction or QPCR) has detected evidence of the parasite Myxobolus cerebralis (Mc) in some rainbow trout from Elmendorf State Fish Hatchery in Anchorage. However, there has been no evidence of the fish disease associated with this parasite, nor has any form of the parasite itself been observed in Alaska.

    Sixty rainbow trout, divided into 12 groups, were tested by Oregon State University. Results were positive in one batch of 5 trout. A second test of 60 different individual fish confirmed the first test by finding 3 rainbow trout that had DNA from the parasite.

    The Mc parasite causes “whirling disease” in rainbow trout and other members of the salmonid family. The heads of diseased fish may contain up to 2 - 3 million spores of Mc. The Elmendorf Hatchery rainbow trout samples contained an estimated 100 to 1,000 spores, a level too small to be detected with standard microscopic tests, and too small for the fish to show any signs of the disease. Using national standard methods for fish health certification, these fish would be considered free of Mc infection because of the absence of observable parasite spores from enzymatic digests or histologic sections of the head cartilage. Eating or handling fish that have any form of Mc poses no health risk to humans, pets, birds, or other non-salmon wildlife.

    To date there is no evidence of the presence of the Mc parasite anywhere else in Alaska outside of Elmendorf Hatchery. There is no way of knowing whether the presence of Mc in the Elmendorf Hatchery dates from the last rainbow trout transferred there from the Lower 48 states about 30 years ago or is a new introduction into Ship Creek from sport fishing activities.

    ADF&G has a rigorous fish disease policy, which would require the agency to depopulate the hatchery if there had been any evidence of clinical whirling disease or actual observation of any Mc parasite life stage. Although this has not happened, the Mc-positive QPCR results are confirmed. Therefore, as a precautionary measure, no fish of any species from Elmendorf State Fish Hatchery will be transplanted into an open watershed. Fish will only be stocked into lakes that have no inlet or outlet at any time of year (landlocked) and have no reproducing salmonid fish populations. As a result, over 94,000 hatchery fish that otherwise would have been destined for open watersheds will be transplanted into closed systems in 2007. King salmon will continue to be stocked in Anchorage’s Ship Creek, the most likely source of the parasite and because the stream has already received potentially contaminated discharge water from Elmendorf Hatchery. However, no Elmendorf Hatchery fish will be transferred to the Fort Richardson Hatchery. The stocking of open systems will resume when the state builds a new well-water-only hatchery near the existing Elmendorf facility in the next 4 -7 years which will eliminate the potential of introducing Mc from Ship Creek water.

    The Department is planning to investigate populations of rainbow trout in selected high risk watersheds in Alaska using the new, more sensitive QPCR test in conjunction with other standard methods for the detection of Mc. Fish at the Elmendorf Hatchery will be closely monitored for clinical signs of whirling disease and visible life stages of the Mc parasite.

    The Department urges everyone to remember that Alaska’s laws against moving fish among waterways are very strict. No live fish may be transported or released into the waters of the state, except with a special ADF&G permit. Alaskans are now especially cautioned not to move members of the salmonid family from one waterway to another. If fish are cleaned in the field, clean them only in the waters from which they were caught.

    For more information on whirling disease, consult the Whirling Disease Foundation website, http://www.whirling-disease.org/. For more information on Alaska’s hatchery program, fish disease policy and invasive species, visit the Alaska Department of Fish and Game online at http://www.adfg.state.ak.us/, or contact Dr. Theodore Meyers, Chief Fisheries Pathologist in Juneau at (907) 465-3577.

  19. #19
    Member CanCanCase's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Bandon, OR
    Posts
    614

    Default

    Hmm... and what about the felt liners inside my X-tra Tuffs? Depending how it's worded and enforced this is a HUGE can of worms to be opening up...

    -Case
    M/V CanCan - 34' SeaWolf - Bandon, OR
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

  20. #20
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    salt lake city ut
    Posts
    409

    Default hey dave

    what if we have a proof of purchase that we got our felt sole waders in alaska with a date off the same year or month would it then be ok fore us nonresident fishheads to have felt soles ? i like rubber hipers my self i buy a new pair every year and give them to a local when im done with my 1 week trip ive given away 7 pairs so far ,,,,,any body need size 10s

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •