Thread: Book Suggestions?

Default Book Suggestions?

I've been looking for a good book on digital photography. What I'm looking for is something that explains how to use shutter speed, aperture settings, white balance, etc. of course composition, lighting, and thins like that would be cool, but I'm looking for basic information that's easy to follow.
    Here's what I'm looking at so far:

Fundamentals of Photography, Tom Ang
    The Joy of Digital Photography, Jeff Wignall
    Understanding Digital Photography, Bryan F. Peterson

So if anyone has experince with these books, or knows of something better please let me know. Thank you.

Ken
    Last edited by Alasken; 03-05-2009 at 13:58. Reason: wasn't done
    Art is making something out of nothing and selling it.
    - Frank Zappa

Understanding Exposure by Bryan Peterson is another book you should consider.

I got a great book from B&H Photo/Video website. Amazon would surely have it too. Titled, "complete digital photography". Great intro book with more info than I can tell you about. Starts with the very basic, but gets pretty involved later in the book. Great general digital photography book.
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Thank you for the replies. I'll check out both recommendations.
    - Frank Zappa

You are wise to pick up a book or two. Great way to get started in photography. So much can be learned with an hour here and there if you have a few books. There are tons out there. One thing you might consider is going to Amazon and typing "digital photography" in the search box. You can then see the numbers of reviews listed by the books. I do that sometimes when searching for books/products. The reviews on Amazon are not edited like some places so they actually are worth reading. Good luck.
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Default good idea

That's what I did at the Barnes and Noble website Dan. We have a store here in Anchorage, so I'm trying to narrow the search before I go to look at the books hands on.
    - Frank Zappa

Great idea man. The main reason I made the suggestion earlier is that I have bought a bunch of photography books, but have felt like I wasted my money with most. Got 2 out of about 8 that I actually learned from. Going to see books in person like you suggested is a great idea.

Quote Originally Posted by danattherock View Post
    Great idea man. The main reason I made the suggestion earlier is that I have bought a bunch of photography books, but have felt like I wasted my money with most. Got 2 out of about 8 that I actually learned from. Going to see books in person like you suggested is a great idea.
    My preferred method of shopping. Up here it doesn't happen often enough.
    - Frank Zappa