Thread: How do I keep whitesox away?

Arrow How do I keep whitesox away?

We have a LOT of whitesox at our property. They land in my hair, neck, nose and eyes and stay there till I squash them. Inhaling is out of the question. I have tried bug dope, hats and smudge fires. Any ideas would be great. Also I am interested in hearing from women who have lived in the bush.
    Thanks

DEET!

OTC bug dopes have it, but the best stuff ever made, if you can handle it, is the stuff the Feds had.... I don't know if they even still use it.

It came in a little green bottle with a black cap - sort of generic looking GI stuff.

I have known people that could not tolerate it and, they preferred the bugs to the dope.

I loved the stuff!

The bad side of the product was it's tendency to dissolve things you touched... like the rubber/plastic handles on chainsaws, fishing poles, lunch boxes etc.... not dissolve them like acid, but, transfer their properties and colors to your hands.... it is very potent.

If I owned property like that, I'd be looking at natural deterents as much if not more than chemical ones. ... as well as head nets and gloves.
    "...just because we didn't agree with you doesn't mean we didn't have good discussion. It just means you missed it." -JMG-

Default you're getting whitesox now???

in the middle of winter??? :P

I love head nets for whitesox & noseeums...You could wear bugskinz from cabelas as well...for the hands, & face mask...I used them with a head net for a moose hunt two years in a row & won't go out in the field with out them!

Arrow

Thank you Soggy and Gogalie for your replies. I have used the green bottle and loved it...but I cant find it anymore. I used it all the time hunting. I do agree the head nets work real good when im hunting. It tends to get in my way and bounce around while I am working outside though. We own land 14 miles away from the Petersville road surrounded by swamp. It gets real thick w/ them lil boogers in Sept. I read somewhere one ol timer drank yeast or somthing and that kept the sox away.
    Will look into bugskinzTY

Quote Originally Posted by daughterbear View Post
    Thank you Soggy and Gogalie for your replies. I have used the green bottle and loved it...but I cant find it anymore.
    If I was looking for the stuff, I might try the military surplus stores.

Down in the states they have agencies like "Vector Control" that go out into the swampy areas and do a little umm... polluting. But, you really have me thinking now because I am going to be confronted with these problems this year myself....

Time to go "searching"

For fun though, those little electric tennis rackets are pretty entertaining. I've sent a yellow jacket spiraling to the ground in smoke with one of those. Pretty good way to kill an afternoon, a million bugs, and 4 batteries.
    "...just because we didn't agree with you doesn't mean we didn't have good discussion. It just means you missed it." -JMG-

I can never remember how to spell it, but we use Buhok. We get it at Ace Hardware. It's a very fine powder made from dried, crushed african wildflowers that when burned, repels every sort if insect. It comes in a yellow cardboard cylindrical-shaped container. We make sure to use it just before bed to get all the buggies out of the back of the camper. I also keep it burning while cooking dinner. It doesnt smell bad, like PIC or some citronelas either. Its good stuff

If anyone knows where to get Buhach I'd like to know. I haven't been able to get it for a few years for my hardware store.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Here you go....I googled it ~~~~ Ron

http://www.jerrybaker.com/index.asp?...OD&ProdID=1658

Buhach is fantastic. Nothing crazy in the ingrediants, just crushed flower (perinthian I think). Works very very well.