Thread: People need to come to the BoG meetings.

Default People need to come to the BoG meetings.

I understand that many of you can not make it in for the meetings… and that is OK. But for others, I think you all need to take the time to come down to the Den’ina Center and check it out.

It doesn’t matter if you are an individual or a guide. You need to come down. The more people who show up to this… as these are for the new Regulations for the next year…. The more the BoG is going to see that you are concerned.

Archers you are getting hosed…. You need to show up.

Resident individual hunters you need to show up for whatever proposal you are hoping that passes or fails.

Guides, if you don’t want to get screwed over… COME IN!

I am making that nice list for you all… but my list is going to show everything you all are going to hate if it fails and you wanted it to pass.

I understand the job thing too. I am working while listening in the background and I am giving up my lunch to get off early so I can go down to the BoG meeting for updates I missed. But if you are retired, holding on something, waiting for whatever. Get your buns into the meetings, or you are going to wish you had.
    No amount of education can help those who want to remain permanently ignorant of facts, which includes those whom have been educated.

Default Get involved

Another thread telling people to show up and watch, which in itself isn't a bad thing, but where is the "Get involved!" thread. On the other thread telling people to attend, the OP said he lived so far away from the meetings he couldn't be involved. I have to call BS. Proposals and testimony can be done from anywhere in the world these days.

For what it's worth bowhunters have always been low priority. The BOG has never considered bowhunters a large enough group to make special considerations for. And guides, don't get me started. One year I had to beg them to not close a non-resident moose season in March for that fall. I have already received deposits from my for clients for that fall. They did end up making the closure the next year, which ultimately killed my business.
    I attended every meeting in Anchorage for several years (1990-2002) while my guiding was going on, including submitting proposals and testifying.
    Ken
    Art is making something out of nothing and selling it.
    - Frank Zappa

I will be going as of 2 PM.. due to work.

If anyone else wants to show.. it is on the second floor, in rooms 3,4,5.
    No amount of education can help those who want to remain permanently ignorant of facts, which includes those whom have been educated.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by Alasken View Post
    Another thread telling people to show up and watch, which in itself isn't a bad thing, but where is the "Get involved!" thread. On the other thread telling people to attend, the OP said he lived so far away from the meetings he couldn't be involved. I have to call BS. Proposals and testimony can be done from anywhere in the world these days.

For what it's worth bow hunters have always been low priority. The BOG has never considered bow hunters a large enough group to make special considerations for. And guides, don't get me started. One year I had to beg them to not close a non-resident moose season in March for that fall. I have already received deposits from my for clients for that fall. They did end up making the closure the next year, which ultimately killed my business.
    I attended every meeting in Anchorage for several years (1990-2002) while my guiding was going on, including submitting proposals and testifying.
    Ken

I don't quite recall saying i cant get involved. i said i can not attend in person. and the reason being is i have to drive down tomorrow any way. and could not afford two trips... but i am "being involved" as much as i may... and i think if you look back i was also "involved" in the drafting of a few of the props that went out...even though i don't hunt those area's or species.. The BS is sitting at home BS'ing next summer when you don't know WHY things changed. the public testimony is over. now is understanding.

but hey thanks for the input, the one thing i am learning from All of this is that the END user.. you, me, her over there, the guy on the river, the client.... those ones are the ones making it easy for these changes to happen.. folks are so willing to screw one side of the end users to get their way.. they take not into account. they are in fact creating a deeper wedge to allow others to step in and take over... bow hunters? rifle hunters? Is there REALLY? a sever distinction here in AK? most i know do both including myself...nothing like some fancy finger pointing to keep from having an dirt land on each other...It is too bad that i have not been involved prior years to this. So call BS... i am still learning.. or at least trying to...
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

I have personally watched and participated in the process more than I care to remember and still contribute in ways that I feel I can best do so.

I am convinced that there are many that do participate really shouldn't. These are the folks that want special priveleges, special hunts and special seasons. I have always advocated a single season for each species and the hunter should choose his/her own method and means. IE gun, bow, motorized, shanksmare, etc. The only limitations I can swallow are for safety reasons, IE archery only in close proximity to densely populated areas. There are at least a couple of members on the board that feel the same way. But public outcry has won out on ocassion, getting special treatment for some. This is what is leading to the destruction of the hunting culture. We in wanting special interests are our own worst enemy. It will continue until it is a total sham and young hunters won't want to take part in the mockery. If you feel you want special seasons/opportunities for archers, guided hunters, handicapped individuals, youths, black powder or any other challenged method, do us all a favor and stay home and do not get involved.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

Default Well, I'm here...

Well, I've been sitting in on much of the BOG meetings this year (first time for me), and the main thing I've learned is to bring something to do. I'm writing this as they're discussing proposal 66, and I needed a pair of toothpicks to keep my eyes open... zzzzzzzzzzzzz............

It has been a learning experience though, and it's good to see some younger guys here every day. I have a new appreciation for all the work that goes in to crafting our hunting regulations. It's no easy task, and my hat is off to everyone involved.

Thanks to all who keep waving the flag on this; I don't know whether to thank you or blame you for getting me down here, but it's good. It's also been encouraging to see some other forum members here. Many of the area biologists know about us, and are routinely checking in to this site. That's encouraging.

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

The Proposals link above does not work anybody have a good link ? It just keeps saying ERROR

Thanks
    PEOPLE SAY I HAVE A.D.D I DON'T UNDERSTA.....OH LOOK A MOOSE !!!

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by Roger View Post
    The Proposals link above does not work anybody have a good link ? It just keeps saying ERROR

Thanks

ROGER? sure thats not the end user on this one

any way there are several links in the management sections...

as well as here.....http://www.boards.adfg.state.ak.us/gameinfo/index.php

top link on this page is the audio...

next is the PFD doc.. they may be updating it so it may be unavalible....
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Default Size Might Matter. . .

Quote Originally Posted by Roger View Post

Thanks
    Roger-
    Link worked for me. It's 218 pages.... goes by regions.
    Size might be an issue, perhaps.
    Best-
    Doc

It's working now ,Must be all the snow on the line
    PEOPLE SAY I HAVE A.D.D I DON'T UNDERSTA.....OH LOOK A MOOSE !!!

I am trying to keep a running tally of everything that is going on.

But I am also a working girl so I can't be there for everything. I am posting what the BoG is voting for, down ect. and putting it on this thread.

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ad.php?t=49610

I will be going by during this weekend when i have a moment and wrting down everything they voted on to keep you all updated. The BoG is moving VERY slowly... revisiting issue they already voted for or against. I am not sure why but it is a long process.