Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Proper crimp ?

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Sterling, AK
    Posts
    148

    Default Proper crimp ?

    With the 3-die set from Lee in .480, the seater die has adjustable crimp from slight taper to full roll.

    Lee doesn't seem to offer a Factory Crimp die for .480 (at least not from Midway)

    Redding sells a Profile Crimp Die that is "Designed for those who want the best possible crimp. Profile crimp dies provide a tighter more uniform roll type crimp-"

    Is the Redding die worth the $? Does it really produce a better crimp than the standard Lee? What's different about its design?

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Sterling, AK
    Posts
    148

    Default

    I've found the Lee case holder doesn't accept the Hornady brass- I think I read this before. Do RCBS case holders for this caliber work for the Hornady cases?

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.
    Posts
    8,816

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Porterwagner View Post
    With the 3-die set from Lee in .480, the seater die has adjustable crimp from slight taper to full roll.

    Lee doesn't seem to offer a Factory Crimp die for .480 (at least not from Midway)

    Redding sells a Profile Crimp Die that is "Designed for those who want the best possible crimp. Profile crimp dies provide a tighter more uniform roll type crimp-"

    Is the Redding die worth the $? Does it really produce a better crimp than the standard Lee? What's different about its design?
    I sorry I dunno about the "Redding Profile Crimp Die".

    Using the crimp built into a seating die is notta problem, for me. Just read the instructions. I prefer to do the seating and crimping in ONE operation, but it can be done in TWO.

    The Lee FC Dies, (There is more than one kind, for different applications.) have some advantages.

    Go to the Lee Precision Website, and check out their Custom Services.

    They can make you one for the 480. It is probably worth the money.

    From the site,,,, See the Link below,,,,,
    PISTOL:

    Custom Carbide Factory Crimp Dies for handgun cartridges can be made for most handgun cartridges that are not in regular stock. Sizes available run from 25 ACP sized cases up to the 480 Ruger. The 50 AE cannot be made because the carbide ring necessary for this cartridge is too large for our manufacturing process.

    We need:

    Payment of $34.00 ($30.00 + $4.00 processing fee)

    http://www.leeprecision.com/cgi/cata....html#CUSTOMFC

    How many times have, you heard someone say?
    If I had his money, I could do things my way.

    But little they know, that it's so hard to find.
    One rich man in ten, with a satisfied mind.
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

  4. #4
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Midwest
    Posts
    4,431

    Default

    Well I think the Redding Profile crimp die is the greatest thing going for cast bullets in big bore revolvers. I stand alone in an empty field with my belief, on this forum anyways but I'll sell you one for the 480 Ruger for $20 delivered to your door. I can order one and take about a week.

    THe 480 and of course the original 475 LB have never reached the lofty status of the 44, 454 and 500 S&W have and dies are limited. RCBS is the only carbide sizing die for them and that's what I bought for the 480. I had a set of custom 475 LB dies in steel from RCBS and a custom Redding profile crimp but it didn't work for the 480. When RCBS made carbide dies for the 480 I got them and the Redding Profile crimp. So I'm all sewed up for 480/475 dies.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?



  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Sterling, AK
    Posts
    148

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Murphy View Post
    Well I think the Redding Profile crimp die is the greatest thing going for cast bullets in big bore revolvers. I stand alone in an empty field with my belief, on this forum anyways but I'll sell you one for the 480 Ruger for $20 delivered to your door. I can order one and take about a week.

    THe 480 and of course the original 475 LB have never reached the lofty status of the 44, 454 and 500 S&W have and dies are limited. RCBS is the only carbide sizing die for them and that's what I bought for the 480. I had a set of custom 475 LB dies in steel from RCBS and a custom Redding profile crimp but it didn't work for the 480. When RCBS made carbide dies for the 480 I got them and the Redding Profile crimp. So I'm all sewed up for 480/475 dies.
    Sold. I'll send you a PM. The Lee factory crimp seems to be well regarded, but your advice is obviously golden here on this forum.
    So you're saying the LEE [480]sizing die isn't carbide (only RCBS)? I was under the impression it was. And as far as reading the instructions are concerned, the instructions I received with the LEE set don't give much specificity with regard to the seating dies adjustment for various crimp levels, that's why I started looking for something better.

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Sterling, AK
    Posts
    148

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Smitty of the North View Post
    I sorry I dunno about the "Redding Profile Crimp Die".

    Using the crimp built into a seating die is notta problem, for me. Just read the instructions. I prefer to do the seating and crimping in ONE operation, but it can be done in TWO.

    The Lee FC Dies, (There is more than one kind, for different applications.) have some advantages.

    Go to the Lee Precision Website, and check out their Custom Services.

    They can make you one for the 480. It is probably worth the money.

    From the site,,,, See the Link below,,,,,
    PISTOL:

    Custom Carbide Factory Crimp Dies for handgun cartridges can be made for most handgun cartridges that are not in regular stock. Sizes available run from 25 ACP sized cases up to the 480 Ruger. The 50 AE cannot be made because the carbide ring necessary for this cartridge is too large for our manufacturing process.

    We need:

    Payment of $34.00 ($30.00 + $4.00 processing fee)

    http://www.leeprecision.com/cgi/cata....html#CUSTOMFC

    How many times have, you heard someone say?
    If I had his money, I could do things my way.

    But little they know, that it's so hard to find.
    One rich man in ten, with a satisfied mind.
    Thanks for the link Smitty, I may look into doing that. I thought the standard Lee seating die's instructions were a bit lacking with regard to crimp, but the process in pretty self explanatory so I understand this deficiency. I read one criticism about this die that complained of brass shards being created and caught in the crimp, but that claim might fall into the category of "believe only half of what you hear". Maybe Paul H. has some experience? I think he's pretty keen on loading .480's

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    137

    Default

    Murphy's definitely not alone regarding the Profile Crimp die. I have one for every revolver caliber I load for and love it (although I don't load .480 Ruger). My chronograph showed me that my loads using this die were more consistent than the RCBS seater/crimper when I first started playing with it in .357 mag.

    Mike

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •