Thread: Any ideas on keeping whitesox away?

Smile Any ideas on keeping whitesox away?

Hi all. I am wondering if anyone knows how to keep whitesox from eating me alive. They are REAL bad out at our property. They land in my hair and proceed to eat on my flesh for days at a time. They eat around the eyes, ears and neck and just live there till I squash em. Inhaling is out of the question. I have swallowed billions! I have tried bug dope, hats , smudge fires and anything short of shooting the lil snots.

daughterbear, welcome to the forums! I moved your post to the "Cabins and Remote Living" section of our site as others there have likely encountered the same problem. Good luck!

Default Head net

It about the only thing that works for me. Deet will keep them away but it makes me feel sick if I wear it too much. Im with you though... Ill take mosquitoes over whits sox any day.

Default yup

an f-15eagle and napalm

Default Thermacell

Try a Thermacell. Thay carry them at Wal-Mart, Freddys, Sportsmans, etc.. for about $20-
    They work great on skeeters and other lil bugs that want to eat you alive while fishing/hunting in the spring.
    BK

I'd like to shoot the lil snots too but would probably wind up hurting myself. I second bkmail's recommendation. I've used a thermacell on a couple hunts and it sure seems to work. They even sell a little holster so you can carry it with you.

Other that the above mentioning of health issues using Deet, it's about all that I've found to work halfway decently. It works, but sometimes the side effects are not worth it.

Have not tried the thermacell, but sounds interesting.

Smile

I love this site. Its has answered a lot of questions the deeper I dig and I am full of em. Another problem we have is keeping the bears out of our cabin while we are away. Last year a blackie pushed the cabin off its pilings and left paw prints all over the window.(it is now boarded up) He didnt get in but I dont think he was to curious. I always scrub the cabin and make sure theres no food before we go. I burn all the paper and take out the cans and other stuff. I pour my dish water in the outhouse and no food scraps juice or coffees are dumped outside on the ground.Theres bear sign everywhere and our cabin is next to 6 acres of blueberries. Sometimes when I go pick in my patch I see fresh bear gifts just where I was picking the day before. (no little bells though) A lady told me to use mothballs. She said she hangs them in trees and she has no problems w/ bears anymore. So being the trusting goof I am I put mothballs in cans and hung them everywhere inside and outside. I sit here now wondering if all I did was tickle his palet w/ candy Will find out come spring I guess.Anyway, if any of you guys have any more ideas about bears or bugs please let me know. Thank you for your advice about the Thermacell. I will try it. As for the napalm...I like that idea too but I might save it for the bears.

Well I have a daughter that wants to go bear hunting this spring. I've hear a lot of ideas on how to keep bears out of cabins but don't own one (yet) so have no first hand experience. It sounds like you are doing everything possible to prevent the problem. sometimes bears are just curious.

Default Bugnet and maybe gloves...

Cabelas sells a head net for about $10, wear a ball cap and the net goes over, with elastics that go under each arm. Easy to wear, and you'll forget you have it on until you try to drink thru it!

So, then wear long pants and shirt, whitesox don't bite through clothes. Now, all that's exposed is the back of your hands. Put a little Deet there, or if you don't want the bug dope, get some of those tight fitting, do anything (well, most anything) with them on gloves with the nitrile hands and fingers, elastic backs, Wells Lamont makes the ones I get. They are so flexible and close fitting you will get used to wearing them.

I'll let you know if I come up with a cuss word that works, I've tried them all so far, guess I need to learn some new ones!

Oh year....dem bears.....have shutters for your windows when you are gone, if they can see in they will try harder to get in, bite your corners etc. Also, most animals don't like motion around them, so try hanging some streamers (be creative!) around the cabin and yard. I don't know about those mothballs doing anything, since bears like to bite gas cans!

Another thought.....I leave some old plastic jugs and deflated bouys around my cabin. BEAR TOYS!!! It seems to work, they had been biting my cabin a bit but quit and now I keep finding the bear toys in different places, maybe it distracts them and they forget about the cabin. They just love to chew plastic!

Ron

Default Bear repelant

This works...

Joe Nava told me a little secret... if you have somewhere you don't want a bears to get. Hang a couple of cans of bearspray around on the entrance. On the last day before you leave cook bacon and save a paper towel with the grease. The last thing you do before you leave, whipe the cans of bearspray with the paper towel. Doesn't take much. First bear that comes along takes a nice big bite and gets a mouth full of something that only a Texan would like.... Super hot!!!! Bear runs away. Its worked on my camp stash for the last 5 years witout a hitch and only cost me 2 cans of bearspray a year so far.

Thanks byrd. I owe you a bear burger )

Whitesox and mosquitos? Skin So Soft original formula. Keeps the bugs away as much as any repellant and won't poison you. Makes you smell perty too.

I use what they call a critter getter, its just a motion detected alarm, but boy is it loud. It goes off at about 50', and scares the heck out of anything that comes close, including me when I forget about it, lol.

Talking Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hunt_ak View Post
    daughterbear, welcome to the forums! I moved your post to the "Cabins and Remote Living" section of our site as others there have likely encountered the same problem. Good luck!
    Thanks hunt_ak. I wasnt sure what I was doing. It seems I figured it out the same time you moved the page.now theres two of em
    Everyone has been helpful in here. I have been writing all their ideas down as there are some good ones. This site has all kinds of info. My hubby and I have been soaking it up like a sponge. The members are nice too.
    Thank you
    Daughterbear

Elders are a gift of information. Cherish them
    Attached Images Attached Images