Thread: "New" Mod. 70 bolt handle

Question "New" Mod. 70 bolt handle

Have any of you had the bolt handle on the post-64 Mod. 70's break? Have any of you ever had a stainless one welded?

Default bolt handle

Unlike the Remington 700 the bolt handle is cast with a collar that goes all around the rear of the bolt body. Unless there is a bad casting it should never break.

The 700s have only the base of the handle brazed to the bolt body. I've heard stories of them breaking off but never seen one. I would speculate that the Mdl 70 design is stronger but in reality I would say your chances of having either break is very small.

Quote Originally Posted by .338 mag. View Post
    Have any of you had the bolt handle on the post-64 Mod. 70's break? Have any of you ever had a stainless one welded?
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

Owned 4 of them, and hunt them hard. Never had a problem.

If you do have a problem try http://www.accu-tig.com/. He does excellent work.

I can't remember many problems on Winchesters. Remington 700s do break off from time to time and the stainless ones seem to break with a higher frequency than the blued ones do.

Hello-I have just recently read something about Model 70 bolt handles breaking off. I read this in an older issue of "Rifle" or "Handloader" magazine. I believe Brian Pierce was the author and it was an article about the new model 70 winchesters.
    I just checked on another gun forum ( The accuratereloading.com) and someone had posted (In gunsmithing part of forum) that they had had model 70 handles fail. The new ones are not a one piece forging, the bolt handle is a press fit to a spline on the rear of the bolt. This jibes with what the magazine article said.
    I guess the fix is to have a gunsmith weld the existing handle to the bolt body. I think they just grind a couple of notches in the existing bolt and handle and weld them together then dress them down.
    I think if I was using a new model 70 I would look into having the bolt handle welded. I think it is a quick fix and there would not be any alignment problems or parts to buy. That what I think I know anyway.

Default older vs. newer

I don't know if it applies to the bolt handle issue but the earlier Winchester made guns appear to be better made than the later ones made under license.

The bolt sleeve and safey is an example - the earlier guns had a nicer contoured sleeve and used another screw. If you compare them side by side the difference is apparent.

Along these lines the later guns could have been press fitted rather than brazed or welded - but I'm just speculating.
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

The article about the Model 70 bolt handle is in the January 2009 issue of "Rifle" magazine. Page 18 "Bolt Handle Repair" by Brian Pearce.Library would probably have a copy.
    The new Model 70 is a good rifle and has other features that the older ones don't. The new model 70 handles gas from a ruptured or blown case much better than the old ones.
    The farther you are from the trail head the more things are apt to break.(Don't ask)!!

I've TIG welded numerous Win 70 push feed bolt handles to the bolt bodies to prevent them from rotating.

We havent seen the problem