Thread: butterfly jigs in AK

Chugiak, Alaska, United States, United States

Default butterfly jigs in AK

wondering how many of you have actually used butterfly jigs here in ak. the concept is to reel pull reel pull reel pull until you get a bite. the bite is usually on the rise instead of conventional jigging which has been based on the fall. so what species is prone to chase down and bite a speed driven bait on the rise here in AK? i can see silvers and kings, but do halibut, rockish and lings put out the effort? i have done lots of research but unfortunatly not first hand. what are your opinions on the new speed jigging technology? i think lings, halibut, and deepwater rockfish are opportunists and ambush whats in front of them. ive seen lings follow up smaller fish caught but this is at a slow rate of speed. with the fish fighting most the way up you would think it would trigger a strike sooner that right next to the boat when you decide to give it slack and try and catch the bigger ling.

Remove "speed" from the equation and they work fine. They also have better natural action and dont require much effort to fish.
    Mike

I've used a butterfly style jig last year jigged conventionally, and it was very effective. One of the advantages of the design is they drop faster than other jigs, nice in deep water as it gets get strung out as quickly in a ripping tide. I picked up 3 of these off of e-bay (unfortunately they were all lost to the rocks by the end of the season) They accounted for most of my saltwater catch.

Chugiak, Alaska, United States, United States

looks liek you ran an assist and a single on the bottom? can i ask you what hook produced the most hookups? did the assist hang up on the mainline much?

I caught fish on both hooks, I didn't keep records of which one produced the most. I was debating running two assist hooks to hopefully reduce loosing jigs in the rocks. I didn't have any problems with the assist tangling on the main line, but I did switch from 80# dacron to 300# mono to have a stiffer assist line.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul H View Post
    I've used a butterfly style jig last year jigged conventionally, and it was very effective. One of the advantages of the design is they drop faster than other jigs, nice in deep water as it gets get strung out as quickly in a ripping tide. I picked up 3 of these off of e-bay (unfortunately they were all lost to the rocks by the end of the season) They accounted for most of my saltwater catch.

I use the same one..... A guy who runs a very well known charter business out of Seward told me to watch out for that top hook it can get you, boy was he right. Also it's really hard to release fish you don't want to keep. It always finds its ways into eyes and gills. they sure work good.

Default bottom hook

I would watch out for the bottom hook. The top hook will catch the fish fine. look around the internet on how they come from the factory. usually with only one top hook that hangs half way down the body of the jig, preferably with the hook gap wider than the body of the jig. There is a thread on here where I got into the jigging techinque in detail. From last year.

Thumbs up they work....

I have used them for about 3 years. They work fine when I fish them on the bottom where Alaska's bottom fish hang out. I jig them fairly slow. Having the hook on top works. Most of the time I think big fish strike smaller fish from the side, so the top hook gets them. Most of the butter fly jigs are under 16 oz so they work better with smaller tides and under a 100' of water. They are another tool for the tool box. I usually put some kind of sticky and smelly scent on them.