Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Coming to alaska need advice.

Default Coming to alaska need advice.

The wife and i are coming to your beautiful state for vacation next july or so.It has always been a life long dream to come there for me.If i had it to start over i'd move there,but will settle for two weeks.What i need help with is places to go and see.I probally won't be able to hunt but must fish.Looking to spend some time around kenai peninsula ,seen some nice places there.Also want to see denali ,but am also looking for other places.I'm also thinking of renting a car and driving ourselfs.Were not ones to follow a set schedule like on a tour or crowds.Also would like to know what fish are hitting in july.I 'd like some stream fishing,trout or anything,wadeing .Any tips or advice will be welcomed.Thanks

Rent a small motorhome. That way you can camp, cook and move on at your leisure.
    Absolutely cheaper than renting a car and adding hotels and eating out.

July is a very busy tourist season and the Kenai is an absolute zoo at that time of the year. Reservations will be important.

Default So much to see so little time.....

Below are a few suggestions I have for you. There are tons of things to do here. It really depends on what you like to do.

Glacier Cruise (whittier or Seward)
    River Boat (Fairbanks)
    Tour Bus ride into Denali Park
    Fish for Kings on the Kenai
    Fish for Reds on the Russian/Kenai
    Fish for Grayling in the Interior (there are some lakes near Paxson)
    Sea Life Center
    Sea Kayaking

If you are planning this trip on your own I would recommend buying a Milepost magazine. They are about $25 on-line and provide very detailed information on all of the highways and what towns have to offer. It also provides campground information if you are going that route.

Good luck. Feel free to PM me if you would like more details or have more questions.

TT

Pick up the mile post book when it comes out for the 2007 season. This will give you allot of info and will help plan your stay here.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Lots of good advice above. I second the motorhome or camper rental. We know some folks who have done it that way for years. Fly to Anchorage, rent a truck and camper or rv and go see Alaska. Spend some time on the Denali Hwy and also head up north cross the Yukon, into the Arctic Circle and up into and over the Brooks Range. Stop and sleep and eat when and where you want.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

Default Kenai Wildlife viewing trail

The State of Alaska is going to have available in March 2007 a wildlife viewing guide for the Kenai Peninsula. The guide will have 60-65 sites identified with tips for viewing wildlife. This is part of the watchable wildlife program. The guide may be available for pre-sale starting in January or so. The cost is anticipated to be about 8 dollars.

I have seen a draft of this guide and it is well worth the money. If you are interested in anything from birds to fish to large mammals it will take you to some special spots.

If you cannot pre-order one they should be available at the visitor centers in Kenai, Soldotna, Homer, and Seward.

Thanks everone.Good tips.That motorhome sounds good.What is the price of a gallon gas .We are going on a day cruise,maybe two then so far were open.A trip through denali.And the rest of the time driving around sightseeing.I figure plamplets will be at anyplace we stop at,for places to go and see.What will the weather be like more north, up in the yukon and in the fairbanks area.

Default About tree fiftee

Quote Originally Posted by Stampede View Post
    Thanks everone.Good tips.That motorhome sounds good.What is the price of a gallon gas .We are going on a day cruise,maybe two then so far were open.A trip through denali.And the rest of the time driving around sightseeing.I figure plamplets will be at anyplace we stop at,for places to go and see.What will the weather be like more north, up in the yukon and in the fairbanks area.

Gas is about tree, tree fiftee (3.50) a gallon. Joking, I've been watching too much South Park. Gas is around 2.60 or so a gallon depending on where you are heading. When are you coming again? The summer time in the Yukon and Fairbanks area is pleasant. Yet still Alaska, it can get cool in the mornings. I remember in the middle of June this year in Kenai before heading out on a trip there was ice on the boat seats. Always dress in layers up here and have that rain suit handy.
    Marc Theiler

Default Fishing on Kenai/motor homes

My wife and I and another couple spent three days on the Kenai this summer before we linked up with a Princess land/sea cruise. We had a wonderful time!
    My buddy and I sent 160lbs of halibut and salmon filets back home. I am certainly no expert (yet!) but I would recommend chartering out of Seward for Halibut and salmon and a float trip on the upper Kenai. That is what we did.

I also am looking for information - I plan on renting a motor home as was suggested in this thread. Can anyone recommend a company to rent from in Anchorage. My wife and I are planning a 9 day trip, including two days of travel and want to rent a converted van or something for two people. We probably will stay on the Kenai since we never got west of Cooper Landing last time and want to see Homer, as well as go to Seward again.

Bass47, the motorhome ,a 20ft , is what the wife and i have decided on.I want to see as much,different,alaska as i can.I've found some web sites for motor homes and will post them later.There seem to be plenty of campimg places.We are thinking of after kenai ,going on the glenn hwy over to the wrangell area then maybe up to fairbanks / yukon back down to denali then back to anchorage and homeward bound,sad that i had to leave.I,m sure there are plenty of plampets along the way for places to see.We have the tendency to want to take off to see something.I'm still looking for places to take a day cruise in the seward /kenai area.

bass47,three i'v checked so far
    www.abcmotorhome.com
    www.greatalaskaholidays.com
    www.alaskabestrvrentals.com
    Found a couple others didn't look as good.There are some good links from the ones i listed.Also www.travelalaska.com for a free vacation planner.Took 7 days.

Default Ya' missed one...

www.beautyvans.com

Mom and pop operation out of Anchorage that are absolutely perfect for two persons...

http://www.alaskanauthor.com

Default Cruises from Seward

Stampede - when my wife and I were in Seward last August with another couple the "Boys" did two days of charter fishing with Crackerjack Charters on a recommendation from AlaskanAuthor. It was fantastic (belated thankyou to Alaskan Author). We also did a float with AlaskaRiver Adventures on the upper Kenai and limited in Reds. That was August 1. While we were in Seward the Ladies did the Kenai Fiord boat day trip (www.kenaifjords.com) and enjoyed it very much. They also liked the Alaska SeaLife Center in Seward (www.alaskasealife.org)

Default keniafords trip?

Did they see much on the keniafords day trip?We are thinking of june.

20 foot RV is pretty small...........try to get a 24 if you can.

Thumbs up The best. . .

Quote Originally Posted by Stampede;34997[FONT="Garamond"
    ]Did they see much on the keniafords day trip?We are thinking of june.[/FONT]
    We live here and have steered any number of guests to the Kenaifiords trip. By all accounts, without qualification and with my wife's testimony to boot, it is the premier sight-seeing trip on the Kenai.

Good luck. . .

Default Prices?

What are prices like in alaska such as pop,chips,groceries.And what are prices like for dining out.Yes we are going for a 24ft motorhome.

Default prices

As compared to where? Anchorage and surrounding area about the same as what I'm used to in Orlando, Fla. Gas prices were a little lower; once you get out of the more populated areas prices will go up. Camping equipment and fishing tackle are actually cheaper than I can get it for here. Best advice relevant to your trip is to not lock into a minute by minute itenary. Conditions change from year to year i.e salmon runs can be early or late, weather can be good or like last year ...wet and cold, forest fires can close large areas ect. Have a plan "B" to go to maximize your limited time and search out the lesser traveled highways!

Default Motorhomes

Bass47,have you come across any motorhome rental places ?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast