Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pros and cons on Inflatable Kayaks

Default Pros and cons on Inflatable Kayaks

I'd like to get a discussion going on the various brands and hull styles of IK's out there. I did a whitewater class for the Knik Canoers and Kayakers and we had several different brands of boats. It was interesting. Aire is popular here, in fact our school has a bunch of Tom Cats, but there are other brands out there that are not so common in Ak but maybe superior boats. For example in the for sale forum a guy has a Skill Kat IK for sale. That boat is TOTALLY different than any IK I have ever seen.

I see this discussion falling into the following heading:
    Whitewater ultimate fun
    fly-in trips using the IK more like a canoe, Brooks Range and Western AK
    Trekking where one is hiking in. This will be good to discuss pack rafts vs IK's.
    Ocean Trips
    World Wide Treks

What ya got folks
    Jim, Ak kayak Academy

Easy to carry and transport to destination
    No need for car rack
    No need for storage space at home

Harder to maneuver
    Slower than a hard kayak
    May get punctured and leak
    Set up time (if you call 10-15 minutes a long time)
    Price - can be as expensive as regular kayaks

Default Aire vs. NRS

I have Aire lynx I kayaks. I bought them both used at a good deal and I have been very happy with them. Durable, stable, maneuverable. I havn't done multi-day floats with them but I am confident if I packed light I could do a 5 day trip with no problem. My only gripe with these, is the bladder design. Because of this, they are much more bulky rolled up (more than a hypalon IK) and I've always thought an in the field repair would be more difficult because of the two layers. Having said this, I've never had a problem with mine, but there is always a first time.

My next IK will be an NRS MaverIK II. My girls are getting old enough to bring along so this will be much better than my single AIRE IK's. Also, for extended trips, you can use these for one person and get a ton of gear into them if you need to. You would obviously only want to load them heavy on a non-technical river, but it's a good option to have. I would say these double NRS boats are almost as maneuverable with 1 person paddling as my single lynx. The maverIK I is is like a rocket ship in comparison to the lynx I. It's not as stable and you can't carry as much, but very nimble and fun. This would be my go-to boat for creeking and day trips of any kind.

Smile IK Pros, Cons, Types

I saw the thread kinda take 2 directions so i will follow suite
    Types-I own a Lynx 1, a Strike, and Tomcats my friend Chad has a force XL,
    This is what we are seeing.
    Overall when considering all issues, weight, performance, gear hauling ability, and sensible workmanship in the production of the boat etc. Aire has a great product, they are tough,and the bladder inside the tubes is a brilliant idea for more than one reason. Patching seems simple, fix the inner bladder sow the outer tube which in return will support your riverside handiwork on the inside bladder and i imagine will reduce the chance of your patch failing. The next good reason for this design is the ability to mount the adjustable foot pegs through the wall of the tube. They are not going anywhere and just a click of a button to adjust. Another good attribute of this design is the fact that a rock has to cut through two layers instead of one.Makes sense to me anyway, im sure Brian or Tracy could give real stats. on this.

Packing is great, take out the seat in the lynx and it along with the force makes a small package. under 35 lbs. The strike is a few pounds heavier and not quite as packable but close, and not quite as ridged as the other two boats. On the river the strike is amazing,we have not had any complaints with the strikes performance and it is cheaper. Another important piece of equipment is the flip strap which most Aires have. They should call it the quick flip strap.
    The Force is more zippy than the lynx, but the lynx handles waves and holes better, i think and this seems to be contributed to the rocker.
    Almost the best part, a 10 year no fault warranty with the lynx and force.
    The best part I dont think I will ever have to use it. We quickly figured out how tough these boats are, its incredible. Probably not recommended,but often now instead of packing them on backpack frames we drag them semi inflated so they bend around obsticles if the grounds not sharp rocks. I have no worries with damaging the boat and it sure is easy.
    Jim has an Innova that i liked it is light,stable and seemed to get really ridged. I also boated with a guy in a Star it was a good boat also. I will not rip the undesirables.
    Our boats are not as light as pack rafts, they may be alittle heavier but IK guys are stronger than pack rafters,better looking and have hotter women
    A real pro for the IK to me is exploration, you can pack gear, they eliminate alot of scare when dealing with wood. We found you can just jump out in shallow water or on shore when boating fast, small steep streams without an eddy. Wood dangers are reduced....Another interesting point is the fact, plowing through a hole with a boat full of water weighing a few hundred more pounds is great with momentum.
    The con- Your always wet, wah wah

Inflatable Kayaks are far more stable than hard shells, and you don't need to be able to do a roll before using them. In fact you don't need to know much of anything. They are stable enough, and easy enough for many people to do some class III rapids with almost zero experience. I almost always bring an extra IK on rafting trips. I can put a total novice in one and as long as they stick with the rafts, they are quite safe and have a lot of fun. In Alaska a drysuit is almost a mandatory piece of equipment though.

There are also some small class IV and V creeks that are easier in IKs than in hardshells. The advantage of being able to bail out fast and stop the boat can be a life saver.

I have a couple Aire Lynx I's, and a Thrillseeker. ( I prefer the Lynx for most things. They are comfortable, can pack enough for a self supported multi-day trip, and they do whitewater fairly well. However, the T-Seeker is a better whitewater boat. It's faster, and surfs *much* better, but is not as comfortable to do long trips in.

BTW, one of my Lynx I's is a foam floor model. Do they even offer this anymore? It was less money, and provides a flatter floor that performs better, but doesn't pack nearly as small. It's a fun play boat though.

I rode in a Aire Force once. Far more tippy than the Lynx, and has little room for tripping gear. It was quick though. I also paddled a Sotar for a while, and found it a fun boat. But the one I used was quite narrow in the hips, and a little tippy compared to the Lynx.

Default Lynx rocker change

Jim S. does your lynx have a 15 inch rocker? I guess Aire changed this a few years ago. I am wondering if this credits a improvement in the performance of the lynx. I am pondering this because yourself, and climbhunter made comment, pertaining to a lynx being only decent in whitewater.I believe he said he bought his used and im not sure how old yours are.
    This rocker modification theory of mine comes to mind becuase, I am just not seeing the boat as being sluggish or slow etc , but rather easy to manuever and excellent on waves and drops, but hey my perspective could change after paddling more boats.
    I read the IK Boat people website from time to time and they review several different types of IK'S. Anyway check this out if you have time.
    Take notice and check out Aires new boat, it looks like a lynx on the juice. This boat seems like it would shine when doing multi day trips.
    If anyone is remotely interested in resolving an issue like this i believe a trip where we could all paddle different boats would be great.
    Great topic MO

Both my Lynx' are the old style, I believe. I think they changed the bow/stern areas the year after I bought mine. Not sure what year that was. They may have changed it again in more recent versions.

I don't think of my lynx as sluggish though. It's just that it's not as fast as the T-Seeker, which has a very flat solid foam floor with continuous rocker, end to end. Consequently it surfs better. It's also longer (13'), but has a slightly shorter waterline, so it turns just a little quicker. You also sit lower in the T-Seeker, with your butt wet all the time, so it's more stable. Not that the Lynx is tippy. I usually put a dense foam pad under me until the water gets rough.

The Thrillseeker has no seat, just a backrest thwart and thigh straps. It's not real comfortable for long hauls, so I strap in a Krazy Creek chair most of the time. I think I have the only T-Seeker in Alaska, so most people around here have never even seen one. They are the original serious water IK though, and you see them featured in some older IK books. They are/were quite common on the East Coast, but Custom Inflatables is still a small outfit.

The Aire Lynx has a great seat, BTW, and it can be removed easily to be used as a good camp chair. I have also used the boat with reduced aire pressure as a very nice "Aire bed." At 10.3' it won't fit in my tent though, so I use it with a small tarp on self supported trips.

I believe I also have the older model. I would be all for getting together and trying out some different boats. If life goes according to plan, I should be available anytime this summer!

Default Wood Warning Moose creek

A very hard to spot, "dangerous log" in very fast water no eddies.
    We just finished a Willow Creek Hard shell trip and decided to go boat Moose creek for a double decker late evening run. Due to the nature of the creek I grabbed my lynx, (I like my face). The creek was rippin, flowing around 250cfs, so away we went like many times before.
    At the entrance of the steep section, ( about a quarter of a mile below the put in) there is a bunch of large boulders (The Guard Rocks) which form slots for one to maneuver through. We just boated this a couple of days earlier and thought nothing of wood. As we approached something was not right, then I saw the top 2 inches of a 12 inch log wedged in the rapid, river wide. All i could do was jump over the log and onto one of the boulders,(In the middle of the rapid) while my boat pinned. I was unofficially safer but far from being out of the situation. Swimming was not high on my list of desired options to free myself and a throwbag from shore was not a much better option. I really like my boat, so while standing on the boulder,-with luck and patience, managed to free my boat. I got a few pics and a video clip, balanced the boat on the rock, jumped in and plunged into the rest of the rapid. The run was great, fast and very continuous, a good class III+ run.
    This situation is a for sure advantage of an IK.
    I sure slept good.
    A couple of pics shot from my perch on the boulder. The log and downstream view below the boulder drop, wish i could post the vid clip.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Tip for pins

Have you had your IK pin on a rock horizontally yet, and wonder if it was going to explode from the pressure? No matter how ridged your IK is, water pressure from horizontal pins will wrap your boat around a rock like a giant snake does it's prey.
    Tip- As the unavoidable encounter is transpiring, move to the front or back of your boat, your weight shift will save your behind many times, and the boat will slide around the rock.
    Tip- If your already pinned, move to the stern end, reach and grab your thigh straps, tug, bounce, etc., if you ride the high tub upon exiting the rock, you might not even have to reflip your boat. You will however, have to turn around and get back into your seat while moving. HE HE
    Tip- the more common technique used, would be keeping contact with your boat(of course) and work off of the rock, or possibly from the eddy behind it.
    The bottom line, you can ride them backwards, upside down, laying down, standing up- the thrills are nearly endless.
    Oh!!!!!! and like our mothers would say....... Be careful, you shouldn't do that stuff.
    Casey lying down body surfing his IK for his mom, Class II rapid, Class IV fun.
    Cheers MO
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default bandits

I am very interested in this boat, do any of you guys have one? I would really like to test drive one. I am planning some long hauls, and need to reduce weight. I figure I can lose fifteen pounds or so.
    I am aware of the stats etc., what I want is some real world response. For example, how does your boat hold up to abrasions, which is one of my concerns.

Default Bandits

Hi Marko,

I have a bandit 2, it is the older model that is a few pounds lighter, 25 lbs with both seats. the new one are at 30 lbs from what I hear. The fabric is tough enough, but because it is a urathane coated fabric it isn't very durable to drag across dry pavement or what every dry. I believe the fabric/urathane build up heat and causes the fabric to wear out faster.

I could do a week long trip in the bandit 2 with no problem.

A friend of mine has used his bandit 2 on two different river in the arctic, each trip was about a week long.

Marko did you help Jim Gonski teach an IK class a couple weeks ago? if you did we met then, I was using Jim innova K1 boat, that boat handles almost the same as the Bandit 2.

I may be able to get out of work on Monday to go paddle a stream, if you would like to see how a bandit 2 handles

An inflatable will likely be a little slower, it's not seems. It's the rigidity of the material; hard plastic, will glide more than fabric, fiberglass or kevlar will glide better than plastic. However, modern inflatables are much more resistent to popping than in the past.

If you have room to store a hard shell boat, I'd get a sea kayak or SOT that isn't inflatable. The bets thing you can do is test paddle a bunch of different boats.

Default Yep

Sometimes I help Jim, when he needs it.I tell you,those IK classes are packed with action, swim, swim, swim ,swim, etc. I swam so much my first year I should have just went in my vest. LOL
    I would be more than happy to run a creek. PM your number and we will go from there.

BTW... I would love to try the Bandit. Do you know anyone who has a solo Bandit?

Default Aire Super Lynx

I've used my Aire on moving water (Kenai, Willow), lakes, and open water. With the amount of space in the boat, I could strap down enough gear for a week of paddling, but to be honest I'm not sure I'd take it out on PWS or very far in Resurrection Bay. That's mainly because it tends to wander a little bit when you have a stiff breeze and it doesn't have nearly the glide of a hardshell kayak. It would be quite a bit of work doing crossings, and if the weather and swells come up I'd kind of like to be able to paddle as quickly as possible for a lee side of something.

I've got a homemade rodholder setup for trolling for salmon with it, which is tons of fun in Passage Canal and down in Valdez when the silvers show up. The Aire Lynx boats have lots of tie down loops, and you can secure just about anything in them conveniently. I strap in a softsided cooler when I'm fishing, along with my dry bag, extra paddle, rods, etc., and still there's plenty of room. The boat can carry quite a bit of weight. As mentioned before, the warranty is as good as it gets. I haven't installed foot pegs for it, because I found that the thigh straps work pretty well for giving me a good connection to the boat. I'll probably order the pegs, though, and make installing them a winter project. If I was going to use the boat strictly for open water I'd install a skeg to get better tracking.

Anyway, that's my two cents on my IK. Don't know if it added anything to the conversation. (I got mine at AK Raft and Kayak, by the way.)

Default Hey Brian, Sotar IK's

Went boating with a couple who own Sotar IK's,I felt like I was having to work harder. Their boats were longer,and had more rocker, were heavier and wider, but they work very well. I am impressed with those boats, what do you guys think about them?

Thumbs up Built a skeg...

After inquiring about a skeg on this forum, I tested the one I made in Hawaii. Obviously, I forgot to take a picture of it when I had it out, but immediately remembered as soon as it was totally put away. I cut a peice of plastic in the shape of a shark fin out of a square kity liter five-gallon bucket, screwed two angle (L-channel) peices of aluminum together with the fin sandwiched between. Then duct taped the sanded-smooth edges of aluminum, made holes, and use backpack type straps looped through the deck holes to secure it. On the stern end I use a bungy carabinered tight to the stern ring to keep it all straight. I let the backpack straps dangle for added drag, but they are small so probably doesn't do much.
    TEST: Two and half miles straight off shore to "disapearing beach" on Oahu in a typical Hawaii head wind and back with a tail wind, two-foot chop. Tracked like a dart, made great time, paddled with my wife, no compliants. Great boat for throwing in a duffle bag and using on a vacation!

Hint: Stupid paddles that don't come apart, have one person de-press the button while the other twists off the paddle ends, do it immediately after boating!

Default Aire sea tiger

I am looking at purchasing an Aire Sea Tiger for extended trips here in SW Alaska. They look stable and will haul enough but I question how they will track in he wind! Has anyone paddle one of these boats?

Here's some information about the Sea Tiger from The Boat People:

AIRE Sea Tiger

Back from near-extinction, AIRE's 18' tandem Sea Tiger is back. After poor sales on this model for most of it's existance, AIRE took it out of their catalog in January of 2008. Of course, as soon as they did it, everybody wanted one. We have seen this cycle with certain AIRE cats and kayaks before, and if it doesn't move well in '09 it will likely disappear again and AIRE won't bring it back a third time.
    The Sea Tiger remains the only model from AIRE that has a foot rudder, and their system works very well. This boat is really too big and heavy for air travel unless you don't mind paying overweight baggage fees, and it's performance is mediocre considering it has an 18' hull. What keeps the forward speed somewhat limited is the width (37" although specs usually show 35 or 36") and the bulbous floor, which unlike the sleek Sawtooth model isn't really tapered at the front. It is uniquely V-shaped on the bottom though when inflated, providing for excellent tracking even without the rudder. Where this boat shines is in it's high weight capacity, allowing two adults to carry another 200 pounds or so of camp gear. Space wise, it really doesn't have that much more room than the AIRE SuperLynx even though it is four feet longer. Since it is not intended for whitewater or shallow rivers where you might hang up on rocks & tip, you don't need to worry about your center of gravity. You can pack your drybags standing up which helps. The bow cover does unzip (with some difficulty) but the bow area is fairly narrow, so you won't be putting any wide drybags up there.
    The footpegs for the rudder adjust along the rail, but you cannot change the position of the actual rail without modifying the connecting cables. AIRE has a kit to extend them forward a ways for those who will only use the boat solo. If for some reason you wanted to move them rearward the cables would need to be cut and re-terminated, and you need the right cutting tool for steel cable or it's easy to make a mess of things. We mention all this because a) it makes putting a third person in the boat more difficult than with the SuperLynx, and b) it limits the placement of large drybags to some degree.
    The seats, as with any AIRE or Tributary kayak, are infinitely adjustable and removable so the front paddler has more latitude regarding where they can sit. The rear paddler is somewhat limited by the virtue of needing their feet on the rudder pegs. This model is very popular with scuba enthusiasts, and the 40 tie-down points & dozen D-rings offer many places to carabiner an anchor to.
    The Sea Tiger will only be available in red and yellow from now on. We will bring the specification block back soon. The Sea Tiger weighs 62 pounds with the seat & rudder fin, is 18' long, has 10-1/2" tubes, holds 700 pounds before swamping, and like all AIRE products is self bailing. The dozen D-rings are spaced along the sides and bow of this model.

Default Types of Inflatable Kayaks

Inflatable Whitewater Kayaks

These inflatable kayaks are designed specifically for shooting the rapids and traversing whitewater safely. They are shorter and wider than touring models, designed to work with the waterís natural tendency to propel you forward.

You can get outstanding quality in a touring or whitewater kayak from several manufacturers. Look for added features like drain holes for the hull and tie downs for securing baggage. Some also feature knee straps to give you greater control and safety. The price of these inflatable kayaks varies widely, and can run close to the cost of a hard shell kayak. They do, however, last for years and can be perfect if you may be hiking long distances between uses. They make it possible to take your kayak overland with relative ease.

Inflatable Touring Kayaks

These are extremely lightweight, streamlined kayaks that can be used in both oceans and fresh water environments. Their long, slender shape with pointed ends makes them ideal for cruising on flat water. Some touring kayaks feature a rudder; others leave the rudder as an option you can add on if you so choose.

Some touring kayaks come with multiple side tubes for a stiffer hull, which translates to better performance. Youíll also want to look for features like D-rings, net bags, rope lacing and other gear tie-down options or storage compartments if youíre going to be doing any long-distance river touring.

Inflatable Recreational or General Purpose Kayaks

Recreational kayaks are designed for mild river runs and fair weather conditions on the ocean. Because of their more general use, they are a bit bulkier and not as streamlined as other types of inflatable kayak. They also arenít designed for withstanding whitewater or rough, choppy waters.

If you like to go out and paddle for a few hours on the water but arenít looking for high performance or speed, a recreational kayak may be what youíre looking for. They tend to cost less than either whitewater or touring kayaks, but are a good first kayak for relaxing on the water.

Hybrid Inflatable Kayaks

Recently a few hybrids inflatable kayaks have hit the market. These feature a deck, rather like the ones found on sit-inside kayaks. This deck is good for keeping water out of the cockpit, but may mean your kayak isnít quite is compact if storage is a problem.

Here's a site you might want to have a look at These guys have done a great job reviewing inflatable boats and kayaks from manufacturers such as Innova, Advanced Elements and AIRE.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast