Thread: Ice Trouble

Default Ice Trouble

Ok so I have an ice problem. I need to get a line out of a frozen lake without cutting the line. This line has research equipment on the end that's under the ice. The lake is about 40 inches deep and the ice is about 25 inches. I have an ice auger but the line is not long enough to drill next to it and pull it up the new hole. Any ideas?

Chainsaws have always worked well for me . You can finish it with a handsaw if you don't have a chainsaw with a long enough bar.
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

I would drill down a few inches at a time maybe 3 or 4 spots around the rope and a few inches away from the rope and then hammer or chiesle away the remaining ice off the rope and repeat process until you break through

Drill a hole besides the line then use a coat hanger to snag the line under the ice and bring it up the new hole...

George

I thought about the coat hanger idea but the problem is the line under the ice is not long enough for that. I will probable give the chainsaw or the multiple hole idea a try. How many holes can you drill with a typical auger before its too dull to cut?

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by AKWHITMER View Post
    How many holes can you drill with a typical auger before its too dull to cut?
    I've got a basic 8" hand auger and have probably drilled 50 holes with it and it is still razor sharp. Just keep the blades dry and the cover on them, they will last a LONG time.
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

I thought about the coat hanger idea but the problem is the line under the ice is not long enough for that. I will probable give the chainsaw or the multiple hole idea a try. How many holes can you drill with a typical auger before its too dull to cut?
    With my 5" auger I drilled about 1000 holes i'd say over a 3 winter period and it still cut well.

ok thanks I just got the edge sharpened so I should be set for around 1000 holes. I think I will be putting the plan into action the first weekend of April.

I would go with the chain saw and a hammer, or even a drill with a long paddle bit and hammer over a hand auger for this.

Andy

Drill a hole in the right spot, hook onto the line with a new line or hook, cut the old line.

Quote Originally Posted by mics_54 View Post
    Drill a hole in the right spot, hook onto the line with a new line or hook, cut the old line.

He said there is not enough slack to hook with a coat hanger so I don't think this will work. He never said but I bet the line is tied to a float and not running to the shore.

This would work if instead of hooking the line and pulling the tag up, a new line could be tied fast to the old under the ice. A sheet bend or sailors knot would do the trick and although they be hard to tie it could be done with sticks with a nail in the end.

Andy

Default Ice Saw

If your near Anchorage I have a ice saw you could borrow. It has about a 3foot blade and you could use it to connect a few holes after you drill around your line. If your interested just shoot me a pm.

Default A year too late

Ice Melt.....

I have the awnser. Ask bp!

ok thanks I just got the edge sharpened so I should be set for around 1000 holes. I think I will be putting the plan into action the first weekend of April.
    I also think so.