Thread: Ice Chests

Default Ice Chests

I'm in the market for a new, bigger ice chest for my boat. Something around 80 to 100 or so quarts. At the lower end are the Colemans and Igloos. At the higher end (much higher) are the Engels and Yetis.

What do you folks recommend? Is an Engel or Yeti worth the premium price?

Chugiak, Alaska, United States, United States

coleman and igloo make a fine chest you just have to get creative on how you mount it. i wouldnt spend the extra money, just get some stainless hardware mount her good unless you are staying out extended times all the time.

I have a big coleman and am happy with it.

Default I have the igloo....

5 days coolers, they have been great. We bring fish home on the airlines on them and always use a nylon strap. If you duct tape the inspectors open them and put tape back on in a hurry. They also slap the latches closed and break them. I buy extra latches and hinges on eBay. The coolers themselves have taken a lot of abuse. My favorite has a big bear bite on it, bear couldn't figure the strap out and only took one bite!

I think some of those high-end coolers have an even better seal, that is critical to keeping ice a long time. I really like Coleman products, but I think the Igloos have a better seal.

Default Igloo 5 Day Coolers Are The Best

The large igloo 5 day chest that were sold last spring at Costco were about the best deal out there.
    Maybe you could review some from Consumer Reports Magazine.

I've found Coleman or Igloo to be fine for my use. I just make sure I have enough ice. If I was going to be on the water for more than maybe 3-4 days then just maybe I'd look into a better ice chest.

Found an article comparing the good coolers (7 day rated) and it ranked the Coleman Ultimate Extreme the highest, and it was the least expensive. So, I bought the Ultimate Extreme Marine 80qt model for my boat and it is an absolute gem. All stainless parts and it keeps ice better than any other cooler that I have ever had. We took it on a Lake Creek float trip and it fit in the mounting harness of the 14ft raft perfectly. It is solid. I use it as a step getting in and out of the boat and stand on it when I have to reach high.

The article rated about 10 different makes of extreme coolers including all that have been listed here. I couldn't find my copy of the article.
    What-a-Day
    27' x 9.5' Glacier Craft - Volvo 300hp D4 Diesel
    Remember: Any fool can be uncomfortable.
    Denny

dtol,

Did you buy that cooler up here in Ak? If so, where at? I've been using a 120qt Igloo and it works pretty good but I've been thinking about a new cooler. I always go out for 3+ days and start the trip off with a couple bags of store bought ice but switch over to glacial ice as soon as I can.

I ordered mine, but, I have seen them at Sportsman's Wherehouse.
    What-a-Day
    27' x 9.5' Glacier Craft - Volvo 300hp D4 Diesel
    Remember: Any fool can be uncomfortable.
    Denny

Quote Originally Posted by dtol View Post
    I ordered mine, but, I have seen them at Sportsman's Wherehouse.

Thanks dtol!

Quote Originally Posted by akfishnut View Post
    The large igloo 5 day chest that were sold last spring at Costco were about the best deal out there.
    Maybe you could review some from Consumer Reports Magazine.

That is where June and I got ours. If you see them or hear they are they get them right away. They go FAST. We bought ours 5 years ago and it has been beat on, tossed about, used as a table many times and pretty much is abused and it still in good shape and working great
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight