Thread: ammo choice 2nd try

Default ammo choice 2nd try

I am planning on hunting brown bear in the fall with a 45-70 (modern lever gun). I had made up my mind to shoot either garret or buffalo bore ammo in 500 or 540 grains. I called around to see who caried it locally. I spoke with a local gun shop (who is very reputable). They said they do not believe in hard cast lead bullets. They carry a 350 grain jacketed round that they claim is much better. (the round is made by a company called "the hunting shack ammo") This ammo is made specifically for the local gun shop. The problem is I can not find any info about this product were as garret and buffalo bore has had many articles wrote about there products. So my question is has any one used this "miricle ammo" or know of were I can get some more information about it?

HSM makes great ammo. Here is their webpage: http://www.thehuntingshack.com/

If it is the 350g Kodiak bonded bullet you're speaking of it is a good one. They also make heavier loads that may be more suited for big brownies, you'll see em' on the website. Their ammo is the stuff you see in bright orange boxes, the Military and law-enforcement have used it for years.

Happy hunting
    -J

Default No Need

I have used my Marlin 1985 Guide Gun in 45/70 for both Moose and Bear. I personally like the Hornady LeverRevolution ammo. It's got great expansion, penetration (dropped the moose in 1 shot and when all the way through a Kodiak bear) and you can't beat the ballistics. Not only that, but it's fairly easy to find. I don't see the need for the 500 buffalo bore or any of that other flat nose stuff when the Hornady will cut through brush fine and still hit hard. Just my $0.02.

Fuse

I've used the BB 405 JFN and the 500 grain HC, If I were hunting BB I'd go with the 405, the 500 drops like a brick and will not expand. It will penetrate for sure but I'd rather it dumps all of it's energy in the critter instead of the dirt behind it.

KK

I would say if the shop don't believe in hard case bullets there reputable status should be questioned and I would go some where else.

Default 10-4!

Quote Originally Posted by Fuse View Post
    I personally like the Hornady LeverRevolution ammo. It's got great expansion, penetration (dropped the moose in 1 shot and when all the way through a Kodiak bear) and you can't beat the ballistics. Not only that, but it's fairly easy to find. I don't see the need for the 500 buffalo bore or any of that other flat nose stuff when the Hornady will cut through brush fine and still hit hard. Just my $0.02.

Fuse
    Good two cents fuse, I shoot em' too, clover-leaf pattern @100yds out of my guide-gun. Can't wait to see what they do to the next little spike-fork that gets in front of me this September!

Default Loaner gun

Quote Originally Posted by jay51 View Post
    Good two cents fuse, I shoot em' too, clover-leaf pattern @100yds out of my guide-gun. Can't wait to see what they do to the next little spike-fork that gets in front of me this September!

I loaned my Marlin to a friend who dropped a deer on Kodiak with it as well, 1 shot and it dropped in it's tracks. On my moose the Hornady bullet turned the lungs unto pudding and I found the bullet on the far side against the hide. Good luck in the fall, I wish I could get just one last Moose hunt in.

Fuse

Default Energy Data

If you prefer to compare bullets based on energy, here is what I could find:

Garrett 540 GR Hammerhead

Velocity: 1550 FPS (@ Muzzle, only info avail)
    Energy: 2880 FT/LBS (@ Muzzle, only info avail)
    Bullet Drop: 0 @ 100 yards, -6.5" @ 150 yards (max range)

Hornady 325 GR LeveRevolution

Velocity: 2050 FPS @ muzzle, 1729 FPS @ 100 yards, 1450 FPS @ 200 yards, 1225 FPS @ 300 yards
    Energy: 3032 FT/LBS @ muzzle, 2158 FT/LBS @ 100 Yards, 1516 FT/LBS @ 200 yards, 1083 FT/LBS @ 300 Yards
    Bullet Drop: +3 @ 100 Yards, -4.1" @ 200 yards, -27.8 @ 300 yards (Max range)

Buffalo Bore 500 GR FMJFN

Velocity: 1625 FPS (@ Muzzle, only info avail)
    Energy: 3597 FT/LBS (@ Muzzle, only info avail)
    Bullet Drop: 0 @ 100 Yards, -4" @ 150 yards, -11 @ 200 yards, -23 @ 250 yards (Max range)

Buffalo Bore 405 JFN

Velocity: 2000 FPS (@ Muzzle, only info avail)
    Energy: 2931 FT/LBS (@ Muzzle, only info avail)
    Bullet Drop: 0 @ 100 Yards, -6" @ 150 yards, -17 @ 200 yards, -33 @ 250 yards (Max range)

HSM 350 GR Kodiak Bonded Bullet

Velocity: 2100 FPS (@ Muzzle, only info avail)
    Energy: 3428 FT/LBS (@ Muzzle, only info avail)
    Bullet Drop: No Data Available

Based on that data, the 500 GR Buffalo Bore followed by the HSM 350 GR have the most energy at the muzzle. However, I still prefer the Hornady because of the ballistic tip over the flat nose because it intuitively (to me at least) would retain more energy at range than the flat nose that loses it rapidly. Unfortunately, I can't find any data to support that. I can't seem to find any data to compare bullet expansion or weight retention either. I just felt like being geeky for a minute, and maybe it would help someone.

Fuse

Default thank you

thank you for all the replies