Thread: dream trip

Default dream trip

so everything is still frozen solid up here in Fairbanks so I am still in dream fishing mode and was wondering if you had the money what would be your dream fly fishing trip. would it be guided/ unguided I know I would really like to fish peacock Bass in the amazon with a guide. but also spending a month with a plane flying around Bristol bay fishing would be a blast too ( that would be unguided and more for the experience then the fish).

Default Dream Fishing

You know I am somewhat of a home water guy so I dream of Canada or Alaska verse going south and chasing fish that and I hate bad spiders and snakcs much rather put up with Bears and Bugs. That being said becuase we are allowed to dream at least on Thurs with a fresh 8 inch snow fall and more coming I would love to float the entire Dease River System. Pike to 20 lbs, Lake Trout to 20 Lbs, Bull Trout, Dollies, Grayling no motors and very limited acccess makes for an outstanding Dream trip. The best part is the limited amount of money to accomplish the trip from road system to road sytem.

:-)

power commuting twixt the valley and anchorage

Default If money were no object

My flyfishing dream trip would be taimen in Mongolia. Google it & you'll see why

Well, dream #1 happens this August when I arrive in Alaska. So far, I'll have a six days out of cordova unguided just a boat and my girl, then 4-5 days around the pennisula unguided, wade fishing (always looking for tips/info/places to fish!! hint hint! ). Since hotels cost so freaking much I don't think we'll do any guided trips, I hope my skills are up to the task! We'll be after coho, halibut, rockfish, cod, dollies/char, steelhead, grayling, and anything else that might bite the end of our lines.

Other than that, I like to go anywhere and fish, Belize, S. American peacock bass hunting, bonefish, tarpon, barracuda, I think there are too many places and species that I'd like to target to list. My next trip will most likely be somewhere tropical.

Default Isla Holbox

Isla Holbox, Mexico

Flyfising for Tarpoon, Big tarpon some in excess of 140lbs never landed one over 110lbs. Went two years ago, first day 8 hook-ups and one to the Boca. Small very quite village town about, 4 hours from Cancun, Mexico in the Yucatan Pennisula. Did a full week for less than the cost of our PFD checks last year. Included airfare, transportation to Isla Holbox, food, guide fees, 20% gratitites because it't that good. Beer for less than a buck a bottle. Great people, myself and three others never panhandled once. Nothing but golf carts and small scooters. Take the family there's plenty to do for all and you'll feel safer than anywhere in Anchorage.
    http://bexarfly.com/articles/outdoor...0/default.html

Right now I'm dreaming of cutts on poppers at the lake, my next trip is always in my dreams.

That being said I'd like to fish somewhere with fish rising to duns and I'd have the right fly and I'd make the right cast to the fish.
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Default AK PM I have your fix

Little known fact:

Saranac River emptying in Lake Champlain Plattsburgh NY 2nd week of May Hendrickson's fishing to 2-6 lbs Land Lock Atlantic Salmon. Always a good time and always ample fish. Little bit of Swing Fishing for the big dawgs in the AM and torward dark in town to boot.

I know it is not as big of secert as it use to be but still a hoot!

Another excellent chance is the Spring Fling in Michigan on the Sturgeon near the town Indian River about the 3 rd week in May. Ample Brown Trout fishing Red Quills and Lady Beverkills fish from 12-22 inches. River is mostly wadeable even in the Spring, lost of big browns coming up out of the lake which also has a smelt run wink wink hint hint. Easier fihsing in the fall when the Browns are coming int o spawn.

One more because it is fun! Blue Wing Olive hatch about the 2-3 week in April near Avon on the Big MO in Montana! Yikes that can be exciting fishing but cold and wet but on the dry in the dun stage.

Sorry becuase we are dreaming I am just reliving my prior life.

Quote Originally Posted by scott_rn View Post
    My flyfishing dream trip would be taimen in Mongolia. Google it & you'll see why
    My initial reaction as well.

Seychelle Islands would be #1, but anywhere that gives me a good chance at hooking up a big tarpon on a fly is right near the top.
    www.akfishology.com

fishing isn't about life or death... it's more important than that.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueMoose View Post
    Little known fact:

Saranac River emptying in Lake Champlain Plattsburgh NY 2nd week of May Hendrickson's fishing to 2-6 lbs Land Lock Atlantic Salmon. Always a good time and always ample fish. Little bit of Swing Fishing for the big dawgs in the AM and torward dark in town to boot.

I know it is not as big of secert as it use to be but still a hoot!

Another excellent chance is the Spring Fling in Michigan on the Sturgeon near the town Indian River about the 3 rd week in May. Ample Brown Trout fishing Red Quills and Lady Beverkills fish from 12-22 inches. River is mostly wadeable even in the Spring, lost of big browns coming up out of the lake which also has a smelt run wink wink hint hint. Easier fihsing in the fall when the Browns are coming int o spawn.

One more because it is fun! Blue Wing Olive hatch about the 2-3 week in April near Avon on the Big MO in Montana! Yikes that can be exciting fishing but cold and wet but on the dry in the dun stage.

Sorry becuase we are dreaming I am just reliving my prior life.
    I'll go one better...
    http://www.flyboysfishing.com/rasing-the-ghost-teaser

I'd love to do some more fishing in new england too, that area is fun. So many fish, so little time
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.