Thread: Which Training DVD's & Books

Default Which Training DVD's & Books

I'm about to get a lab pup and will be back in the training mode. I have trained a couple of dogs in the past (14 years ago for my last lab) but thought I would see what DVD's or Books some of you would recommend for good proven methods. Thanks.

I like the simplicity of Evan Graham's Smartwork series. For puppies I also like Jackie Merten's Sound Beginnings.
    "It's the journey that's important, with experience and knowledge to be gained along the way, in the company of our faithful dogs and our good friends."
    Ralph Waldo Emerson

Default water dog

Water Dog was a good book for me. It got me pointed in the right direction anyways. I have read over and tried to use a lot of books to train my lab by. All of them were great at telling me how to begin the exercises I wanted my dog to do but none of them hinted in how to correct them when they didnt do what the book was telling you they should do. It was frustrated at first because it was my first lab and I knew nothing about training them but now I like the open ends of the book. It forced me to figure things out for myself and even if one book out there told you step by step how to train and how to correct it may still not work for you because every dog is different and need different methods of discipline. My dog ended up responding better to positive reinforcment. Sorry I rambled a bit, hope this helps.
    "A dog has no use for fancy cars or big homes or designer clothes. Status symbol means nothing to him. A waterlogged stick will do just fine." Marley and Me

I haven't yet seen it, but have heard good things about Danny Farmer & Judy Aycock's DVD "Problems and solutions". Every dog IS different and part of training them is learning to read the individual dog. I didn't like Water Dog much, but then have Chesapeakes Wolters liked 'Peakes about as much as James Lamb Free. Evan Graham's training books & videos are good, so are Mike Lardy's, Dave Rorem's, Tom Quinn's book "The Working Retrievers", John & Amy Dahl's book "The 10-minute Retriever", etc. If you can find a copy, Charles Morgan's book "Charles Morgan on Retrievers" is a good read. For handling, D.L. & Ann Walters "Training Retrievers to Handle" is another good book.

Karen

Default resources

One more book that was helpful was written by Dobbs for Tri-Tronics. I take bits and pieces from everyone I have read.
    I agree that most books/videos do not tell you what to do if....they tell you and hope the dog reponds correctly. That is where experince takes over. Working with others who have dealt with their own problems helps with the brainstorming it might take to find a solution.

3CBRS, have you seen or read the book by Butch Goodwin? He has written a book specifically for Chessies. I got my dog from him 11 years ago.

How could I have fogotten Dobbs' Tritronics book! Think there are a lot of books/videos that have something to offer -- more "tools" for the training bag. But there's "junk" out there too, just like on the Internet. Books/DVDs do get expensive & public libraries don't tend to have many.

Burke - I just ordered Butch Goodwin's book "Retrievers ... From the Inside Out", having heard good things about it too. Butch writes some interesting training articles for the Retriever Journal.

Karen

3CBRS I would be curious what you think of Butch's book. I havent picked it up yet. I will get it when I get my next dog.

Default Thanks

That seems to give me lots of info to check out. I have used "WATER DOG" before, but wanted to see if there was something those of you that are more experienced perferred. I have a few weeks yet before its pickup day to check this out. Thanks.

Kink Alaska surrounded by sled dog kennels, a fabulous view and lots of hunting.

Default Sound Beginnings

I also got Sound Beginnings. Jackie shows you how to encourage the natural retrieving insinct and build a postive attitude and relationship from the beginning of the pup's life. I got it after I got the pup and had to backup so get it before and watch it so you're ready.

I think if you take the information as you need it, you won't be trying to jump ahead.
    For me reading about a Open or Master hunter training technique when the dog wasn't ready was confusing for me and the dog. It's good to know where your going but don't skip the steps.

All the other books and tapes have their place as the dog grows. Check out the publish dates. Not all the older methods are outdated but many are. Its a good idea to sit down with a pro trainer, like Wetlands Retrievers and make a training plan with training benchmarks. Decide where you want to go with the dog and work towards specific goals.

www.alaskadognews.com

Default On Order

I have Sound Beginnings on order and should be here in a few days. So I'll have a chance to check it out before the pup comes home. By the way Linda, the pup is from the litter (Penny-Strom) you pointed out in the other thread. They are now two weeks old.

Kink Alaska surrounded by sled dog kennels, a fabulous view and lots of hunting.

Default Lucky you!!!

I knew some of the grandparents - hang on for a great ride. Sound Beginnings is written for that kind of puppy.

www.alaskadognews.com

Default Thanks

I had a litter mate of Doc Holiday for 14 years. She just passed away in December. I'm looking forward to another wonderful dog.

I'll second Evan's DVD's. He has them from Basics all the way through transition. There are gaps of course but there is enough info to get you on a good start. Plus keep in mind that everydog will not operate the same as the one you see on the video. So be ready to change things up a bit and sometimes improvise to make the dog you are working with understand the lesson at hand a bit better.
    here's a link to all his products: http://www.rushcreekpress.com/page3allproducts.html

as mentioned before Mike Lardy Marking and also Lardy's Basics, Transition and Advanced.
    Danny Farmer and Judy Aycock have a Basics dvd and a Problems and Solutions DVD. The Basics one is pretty good. But the P&S dvd is more for problems you will see during transitonal phases or in advanced training. Gundog Supply, Dogs Afield, Lion country would be some sources to find these.
    The best way to learn is go and work with as many training groups as you can. You will learn so much quicker by seeing it practiced first hand. Find someone that is willing to explain what is going on and why it works. The local retriever clubs have classes going on right now. I'm teaching the advanced class, plus I'm working and training client dogs on a full time basis. The public is always welcome to come out and attend.
    Once your pup is old enough you can start practicing what you've learned and can start bringing your pup to training sessions.
    I've picked up a new pup recently as well. An 8 week old female field competition golden . She is running up and down the hallway right now with her beannie baby mallard duck. Gotta love puppy breath.

Default Will likely order more DVDs

Thanks Wetlands, I think I will order Evan's Basics DVD. Between that as Sound Beginnings and the two or three other books I have around should get me started. I will likely look into the classes as time goes on. I know having others around that are more experienced is always a great help.