Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ninilchik charters...looking for recommendation

Question Ninilchik charters...looking for recommendation

i am considering 1 of the 3 following charters for halibut:

1) Afishunt Charters
    2) D&M
    3) Saltwater Adventures

anyone have any 1st hand experience with any of them? btw, i am realistic so i expect the fish to average 20 pounds.

pm me if you have negative experience to share.

thanks in advance!

Default Maybe another recommendation?

Quote Originally Posted by Berto View Post
    i am considering 1 of the 3 following charters for halibut:

1) Afishunt Charters
    2) D&M
    3) Saltwater Adventures

anyone have any 1st hand experience with any of them? btw, i am realistic so i expect the fish to average 20 pounds.

pm me if you have negative experience to share.

thanks in advance!

Here is another recommendation to add to your list:

Chihuly's Charters (http://www.ptialaska.net/~chihuly). These guys are some of the Deep Creek pioneers and run an awesome trip. They have anything from a 6 pak boat to a 32 footer. I have fished with them on many occasions and have always come home with fillets and completely enjoyed the trip. I haven't heard what their prices are for this year quite yet, but they have been less expensive than most others running out of Deep Creek. I have not fish with the others, but I know that they have been around for a while as well.

Good luck

Default never used them, but...

I have used Kenai riverbend resort. Total of 6 fishers, everyone limited out easy.

I have used catch-a-lot. My wife and I both limited easily.

Both boats limited quickly with fish averaging about 30 lbs. Each boat caught 1 over 75 lbs.
    I would recommend both.

I have gone out with fishhunt I was not happy with them. I like Bottom Line charters.

I highly recommend this guy...

http://www.catchalaska.net/

Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

I fished with Barry at Saltwater Adventures 3 years in a row. He is a fantastic guy to fish with. The first year we had a spectacular year and brought home some great fish. Biggest was maybe 60 pounds, but smallest was probably 35-40 as well. The second two years the fish were a little smaller, but we got pushed off the water very quickly by weather too. Barry tried hard for us and was enjoyable to fish with. Didn't get down to fish with him last year, but will try to again this year.
    Never count your days, but rather, make all of your days count.

I have been out with Barry as well. My buddy has used him for years. I found him to be honest and a hardworking guide. Best of luck.

Default Halibut fishing in Ninilchik

I would recommend Chihuly charters. They run three boats and the guys are nice and provide great service. Their rates are good, and the boats are large and fast.

http://www.ptialaska.net/~chihuly/
    Last edited by Steelieguy; 03-05-2009 at 15:46. Reason: spelling

Default taking heavenly charters

I booked Heavenly Sights at the boat show last month....I almost booked ninilchik charters when they had thier buy one get one free during xmas....that was a good deal that I will jump on next year.

Heavenly threw in free fish packaging and discounted 25/person when 4 booked - so hopefully we can use up some of thier vacuum bags!

I have never fished deep creek, but I did see some pretty good butts hanging when I was passing through to fish for kings.

Smile Thank you!

to all those folks who replied here and via PM.

i have narrowed down my search and now will do what i can to get a reservation with the outfit i prefer at a time that fits my needs.

thanks again!

Default Vader Charters!!!

I can't believe anyone didn't mention Vader Charters. I have been out with several charters in that area and haven't had any notably bad experiences but the great experiences I remember were with Captain Tim on "The Vader".

http://www.vader-charters.com/

Thumbs up Catch-a-lot I know

I have used Kenai riverbend resort. Total of 6 fishers, everyone limited out easy.

I have used catch-a-lot. My wife and I both limited easily.

Both boats limited quickly with fish averaging about 30 lbs. Each boat caught 1 over 75 lbs.
    I would recommend both.
    I personally know the guys at Catch-a-lot and have always done well with them. I don't know the others that have been listed here.

Good luck with them butts!
    Alaska Outdoors Television ~ Outdoor Channel

Quote Originally Posted by sdf8762 View Post
    I have gone out with fishhunt I was not happy with them. I like Bottom Line charters.
    I strongly agree with sdf about fishhunt.

I had and several of my friends have had good trips with J&J Smart Charters (www.smartcharters.com).

Default Bottom Line Charters

Fished with Jim and Ernie.............Great trip.

Catch-A-Lot has the mom/son team that were friendly long before I ever made a booking. I made a few calls and poked some questions here/there to get my feel--and they were very consitent in answering all my questions thoroughly.

Having genuine people skills are top qualities I look for before counting fish. Oh, and yes, they got us into fish. The guy's even took us out to a place he called "Jurrasic Park" and we nailed a big one before the rip came through. The deck hand was vibrant and they seemed to have good moral.

No I'm not trying to "hook" someone up.

Default Captain Steve's

Has anyone gone fishing with Captain Steve's? Stopped by their booth at the sportsman's show in Anchorage today. They have a nice looking brochure and the lodge looks pretty good on their webpage. They are advertising that the world record lingcod was caught with them.

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by oakman View Post
    Has anyone gone fishing with Captain Steve's? Stopped by their booth at the sportsman's show in Anchorage today. They have a nice looking brochure and the lodge looks pretty good on their webpage. They are advertising that the world record lingcod was caught with them.

Richard
    I have a friend who uses them every year and hasn't had a bad thing one to say about them at all. There is also a forum member who works for Capt Steve. If you look at the help wanted forum he's on there.

Ken

Originally Posted by sdf8762
    I strongly agree with sdf about fishhunt.
    and I agree with both.

I went out with Afishhunt a couple years ago and pretty much agree with everyone else. Might have just been the captain of the day, but they took us out to what they themselves called "the chicken hole" so we could hurry up and get our limits. They didn't care much that we wanted decent fish...not huge, but bigger then 10-15 pounds. It just seemed like their first goal was to get back to shore ASAP. It was a nice day, too, so it wasn't a weather issue. I don't like feeling like we, the client, are somehow inconveniencing the charter by paying them to take us out.

Chihuly's all the way next time. Good people, been around forever.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast