Thread: Model 70 action wrench?

Default Model 70 action wrench?

Hi,

I want to pull the barrel from my Winchester Model 70 (375 H&H) and was wondering two things:

1) Do I need an action wrench to do this?
    2) If so, does anybody know where I can get one. I searched the Midway catalog and called them too, but both I and the person I talked to came up with nothing for a Model 70 action wrench. Maybe there's a universal wrench that works? If so, could anyone give me a link or phone number to get one?

I have a barrel vise already.

Also, if I pull the barrel and then later screw the same barrel back on, I shouldn't have to worry about the headspace changing, right?

Thanks!

from my limited experience....yes you need a proper wrench. I have one for my Mausers and Winchesters that I bought from Brownells.

regards,

Default this one?

Here's a universal wrench I found at Brownells.

http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/sto...CTION%20WRENCH

They say it works for everything except the round actions, which I'm guessing would be the Savage 110 and the rem 700.

Can anybody confirm or offer a better suggestion? I just don't want to spend $75 and hope it works!

Thanks to all who help!

Default action wrench $55.00

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct...tNumber=719310

A gunsmith will charge you 50 to 80 per hour. might as well have the wrench to show for it.

Default works for Model 70

Hey HNTR,

Thanks for the link. I totally agree, I'd rather do it myself and have the wrench to show for it.

Your link is to a fairly universal action wrench. It doesn't list Winchester Model 70 among those that it specifically lists. I'm not up on this enough tto know which actions are similar enough. Do you know if this will work for a Model 70 action?

Thanks again!

Smile ask them...

Ask the good folks at Brownells if it will work. If they don't know they can find out by asking the manufactuer, or you can. Good luck.

Might be easier to just give Stan Jackson a call. He will pull it for $10. If you have it reinstalled the head spacing should be fine as long as the barrel is returned to its exact previous position.
    Tennessee

Default thanks you

Hey, thanks to all who contributed. For the good of the forum, here's what I found out.

Yes, an action wrench that fits Mauser actions will work for the Model 70, or most other non-round actions, meaning those with integral recoil lugs and a flat area behind the recoil lug.

Thanks for the link HNTR. That's the one I'm going to order. First of all I've got most of an order put together for Midway anyway, and second of all it's the least expensive one I found. I don't always go for the cheapest but in this case it makes sense since I might only use it once, and besides that it comes well recommended and rated. It sounds like I'll want to make some shims for it to keep it from marring my action, but I have some copper pipe at home that should work for that, or I can always cut up an aluminum can.

Thanks to all. I hope this post will help others with similar questions.

Good shootin',
    AKArcherdaddy

Default Action wrenchs etc.

I use a homemade wrench for pulling all the flat bottomed actions. Most barrels come out relatively easy EXCEPT 1914/1917 Enfields. The Enfield actions can be a real ***** taking hundreds of ft./ lbs to break loose even when using the impact of a hammer.

I use some high density polypropolene (HDPE) strips under the action wrench to keep from marring the top of the receivers. I don't recommend any metal esp. aluminum as it is abrasive. Probably the best source of HDPE is light weight plastic pipe - not tubing - from the hardware stores. Get the tough hard flexiable black stuff. You can easly tightened the wrench down enough to remove the barrel without squeezing the plastic too much.

The barrel will have a line on the bottom rear that lines up with a mark on the receiver. Match these two marks up if you put it back on and the headspace will be the same.
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

Default removing a barrel

Wonder what Stan gets to pull a 1917 Enfiled action? I'll gladly pay $10 and I have several of them to pull.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowwolfe View Post
    Might be easier to just give Stan Jackson a
    call. He will pull it for $10. If you have it reinstalled the head spacing should be fine as long as the barrel is returned to its exact previous position.
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

I have a home made action wrench that you can us if you don't want to buy one. It fits flat bottoms on the side and rem 700s on the end. Apparently on the 14/17 Endfield actions you need to make a relief cut on the barrel just ahead of the action as they are really tight and can split the action if you don't.

Default 1914 / 1917 barrels

I've seen pictures of 1917 Eddystone actions that cracked in the receiver ring area but never seen one myself. Apparently some of the Eddystones were overhardened and became brittle. I don't think it is an issue with most of the later Eddystones and the Remingtons and Winchesters.

In my case I want to save the military barrels barrels so the relief cut is out of the question. If the action is so hard it breaks I won't want to re-use it anyway!

Quote Originally Posted by rbuck351 View Post
    I have a home made action wrench that you can us if you don't want to buy one. It fits flat bottoms on the side and rem 700s on the end. Apparently on the 14/17 Endfield actions you need to make a relief cut on the barrel just ahead of the action as they are really tight and can split the action if you don't.

Default ya beat me to it!

Dang, I should have come here first! I just put a post in the shooting section (I figured it gets more reads) asking if anyone had an action wrench I could borrow! Rbuck, I'll PM you for details!

I didn't know that Stan would do it for $10. That certainly makes it more attractive. The only problem with taking it to Stan is that I probably need a couple of hours to work on it between pulling the barrel and screwing it back on. That would mean two round trips from Chugiak to South Anchorage. This means about $20 in gas + $20 (pull and re-install barrel) plus all the time I waste driving. I can afford it, but for $20 more I could just buy the wrench.

Thanks to all who replied. This place, with all you helpful folks, is great!

tvfinak
    I have never pulled an Enfield barrel and am not familiar with which ones are overly hard, But even the hard ones can be used with reheattreating. If I had to remove a barrel from one, I would sure sacrifice a barrel before an action. I'm also not sure if the cracking is from being to hard or just screwed in to hard. I'm certainly not expert on these just repeating what I've read.

I have a springfield wrench, I made years ago that never gets any use, if you want it you can have it too, may as well start a collection. I work up north and will be home mid month, PM if interested. P.S, I'm fairly sure it will do Mod 70'S as well!
    Mike