Thread: Dalton HWY rivers

Default Dalton HWY rivers

Hey guys,
    Anyone ever taken any of the waterways once you get over Atigun Pass? Planning a caribou hunt this year and would like to take a run up one of them if possible to meet the 5 miles off Hwy rule. Some others from the hunting forum said it could be done, but, tough going. Any advise/comments are welcomed. I have an 18ft jetboat.

I have not done any boating up there, but from what I have read here, jetboats have a hard time. When I have been up there, I have seen lots of airboats going up the road.

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
    MMSI# 338131469
    Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/

The Ivishak river off the Sag is about your only choice. The rest are just little rocky streams.

i have run mine up Sag, Ivashak and i have gone up oochoka (sp)( off Ivashak )as some other jet boat have but yes it can be rocky. i made it up 10-11 miles i would guess but was not easy. you will not be alone up the Ivashak. will be less folks on either river farther you can make it. ....risk-benifit situation?????
    A friend wiped out bottom of his jet boat up there over a few seasons. very $$$$ repair.
    many jet boaters tend to overload their boats....ie 3-4 guys and lots of gear.
    Sag has rapids and BIG boulders starting just north of "ICE CUT" anywhere upstream from there will test your skill and toughness of your boat. i got into 4-5 foot standing waves upstream and took on 50-60 gallons of water and thought i was going swimming and lose my boat but survived AND HAVE NOT RETURNED. failed the skill portion.
    last few seasons it has been low water conditions, launching at mile 50 launch is interesting ....my boat is 4-6 inches out of the water I use a high lift jack and schedue 80 pvc pipe to roll it into the water.....hand crank or power winch it back on. also using sch. 80 pvc pipe.
    set gps way point just at south edge of PUMP STATION #2 PAD.
    so you will know where the 5 miles from road spot is. GOOGLE MAPS HELP WITH FIGURING THAT OUT. and that seems to me to be the point to set the wp.

good luck Pat
    RETIRED U.S.A.F. CAPT.; LIFETIME MEMBER NRA; LIFETIME MEMBER ALASKA BOWHUNTER ASSOC.
    MASTER BOWHUNTER EDUCATION INSTRUCTOR; MEMBER UNITED BLOOD TRACKERS; POPE & YOUNG MEASURER

Thanks Guys,
    I'll give it a shot in July and let you know how it went, if I can't get up the river, I'll take a shot as a backup.

Hey Pat,
    Just retired a couple years ago myself.

I RETIRED FROM THE USAF.....OUCH WILL BE 21 YEARS THIS SUMMER
    JULY WILL BE VERY BUGGY AND PROBABLY LESS PEOPLE AND I WOULD GUESS THE WATER WILL BE HIGHER. BOU TEND TO BE UP HIGH OR ON THE COAST. TO ESCAPE THE BUGS. YOU MIGHT LOOK AT RUNING DOWN RIVER AND TAKE THE EASTERN CHANNEL TOWARD THE MOUTH ....GETTING CLOSER TO COAST AND WHERE ALOT OF BOU TEND TO BE IN JULY. WESTERN CHANNEL WILL NOT GET YOU OUT OF THE 5 MILE. I WOULD DOUBLE CHECK BOUNDRIES IF PRUDHOE BAY CLOSED AREA BEFORE TRYING IT IF I WERE YOU BUT I THINK I DID AND YOU HAVE TO BE A LONG WAY DOWN RIVER TO HIT IT.
    JUST OTHER THOUGHTS

BOAT LAUNCH IS 50 MILES FROM DEADHORSE SO IT WOULD BE A LONG RUN THERE IS A SPOT SOME FOLKS LAUNCH AT MILE 45 BUT TECHNICALLY IT IS NOT LEGAL BUT HAVE NEVER HEARD OF ANYONE WORRYING ABOUT IT. YOU WOULD NEED TO DRIVE TO DEADHORSE AND PUT WAY POINTS OUT SO YOU COULD TELL EASILY WHEN YOU WOULD BE 5 MILES FROM THE ROAD. GOOGLE EARTH MIGHT BE HELPFUL AS WELL.

GOOD LUCK PAT
    RETIRED U.S.A.F. CAPT.; LIFETIME MEMBER NRA; LIFETIME MEMBER ALASKA BOWHUNTER ASSOC.
    MASTER BOWHUNTER EDUCATION INSTRUCTOR; MEMBER UNITED BLOOD TRACKERS; POPE & YOUNG MEASURER

Thanks Pat,
    I'll keep checking up til I go, keep you posted on any new news and the outcome eventually.

I don't know if the Sag will get you 5 miles from the road going toward Deadhorse.

east fork gets way over 5 miles out , but as i stated it does enter the prudhoe bay closed area. eventually if my memory serves me right.
    from my deLORNE MAP SET

APPEARS WHERE PIPLINE LAST GOES UNDER HAUL ROAD
    EAST CHANNEL- (EC) IS 4.53 MILES

AT N70* 5----- APPROX 6 MILES NORTH
    CENTER CHANNEL (CC) 4.65
    (EC)- 6.69

FROM 90 DEGREE TURN AT END OF AIRPORT-

CC- 6.69
    CC AND EC COMBINE JUST NORTH OF THIS SPOT

AT N 70*15- CC/EC 10.21 MILES
    LOOKING AT GAME REGS N70*10 IS SOUTHERN BOUNDRY OF PRUDHOE BAY CLOSED AREA
    CC WEST BANK 6.51 MILES
    EC WEST BANK ANOTHER 1.5 MILES OUT

FIGURE AT LEAST 40 RIVER MILES FROM MILE 50 BOAT LAUNCH TO WHERE YOU FIRST GET OFF 5 MILES.