Thread: Free Rod Blanks

Default Free Rod Blanks

I have a few rod blanks that I would like to donate in the hope of encouraging new people to the sport. Ideally they will go to children or young adults who have an interest in fly fishing and or rod building who also have a need. I found the sport in a similar fashion and hope I can pay it forward. These are new blue/green medium action rods good for beginners to learn the basics of casting and presentation. Please budget at least $40 for components. I have 1 basic set of double foot snake guides, tip top, winding check and hook keeper for the 4 or 5 weight. I also have a very hip set of holographic double foot guides, tip top and hook keeper for the 7 weight. I will also include a spool of blue Gudebrod thread and a chunk of tip top hot melt adhesive. No cost, I will pick up the shipping. If lacking the components will keep someone from realizing a dream, I will supply cork, reel seats, guides, glue, line and reels...whatever it takes.

Wyatt

What I have:

9' 7 weight 2 piece
    9' 5 weight 2 piece
    8' 6" 4 weight 3 piece
    8' 6" 10 -15# 2 piece Perfect Kenai "Flossing" blank for gearhead baitcasters

Default Great idea

Quote Originally Posted by Wyatt View Post
    I have a few rod blanks that I would like to donate in the hope of encouraging new people to the sport. Ideally they will go to children or young adults who have an interest in fly fishing and or rod building who also have a need. I found the sport in a similar fashion and hope I can pay it forward.
    Wyatt,
    I'm not a great fit for your proposal, but your offer has inspired me to make one of my own...

So I hereby pledge to buy a fly fishing rod and reel and pass it along to a kid. I'll post a picture of it once bought.

I hope others will do the same.

I'd be happy to build someone a fly rod on one of those blanks if they can pay for the components
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

I'm actually looking to get my kids set up, they've been tying flies but are currently sans a rod.

Paul, I have you down for the 7 and 5 weight. The 4 weight would be great for a youngster fishing grayling. I have also had a PM from a member willing to donate flies to the cause.... Thank you.

Wyatt......You are a great American!
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Any issues with having a rod blank set up for a woman wanting to break into the sport?
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

She has her pick of the 2 remaining. What kind of fishing floats her fly? I have a couple already built rods if that would be easier too. A little less testosterone on the water wouldn't be a bad thing.

She's brand new to the sport but I'd like to get her behind some nice rainbows, grayling, char. Nothing more than a 5wt. I would love to do the class together at 3 Rivers but with work, school and kids, our night schedules aren't very open during the winter.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Quote Originally Posted by Wyatt View Post
    I have a few rod blanks that I would like to donate in the hope of encouraging new people to the sport. Ideally they will go to children or young adults who have an interest in fly fishing and or rod building who also have a need. I found the sport in a similar fashion and hope I can pay it forward. These are new blue/green medium action rods good for beginners to learn the basics of casting and presentation. Please budget at least $40 for components. I have 1 basic set of double foot snake guides, tip top, winding check and hook keeper for the 4 or 5 weight. I also have a very hip set of holographic double foot guides, tip top and hook keeper for the 7 weight. I will also include a spool of blue Gudebrod thread and a chunk of tip top hot melt adhesive. No cost, I will pick up the shipping. If lacking the components will keep someone from realizing a dream, I will supply cork, reel seats, guides, glue, line and reels...whatever it takes.

Wyatt

What I have:

9' 7 weight 2 piece
    9' 5 weight 2 piece
    8' 6" 4 weight 3 piece
    8' 6" 10 -15# 2 piece Perfect Kenai "Flossing" blank for gearhead baitcasters
    What do you consider a young adult? Under 35? I've been looking to learn to build rods for a while. I can't wait for my little girl to get big enough to start going with me. Andrew

Default my contribution

i don't know if this will be helpful or not, but i'll build any of the rods if need be, or maybe teach a parent/kid combo how to do it if they'd like. let me know if i can help. oh, and i've got an 8wt travel rod blank i'll throw in the deal.

Is the 4 weight spoken for? I have a beat up old cheap rod and can't get my wife to try flyfishing, she says if she had a better rod she'd be willing to give it a try. It's probably about time to start my oldest on fishing too, she's 5 this summer. I don't have money for components right now but could save up or trade a custom knife or gun accessories.

Thanks,
    Josh

I sent you a PM knifemaker!

Quote Originally Posted by flying ties View Post
    Wyatt,
    I'll post a picture of it once bought.

I hope others will do the same.
    So attached you'll find a picture of the rod/reel. I think it will go to a friend of a friend's kid, whose old man doesn't care so much about fishing...if not, I'll post again here to see if anyone has any other recommendations.

To reiterate, I hope others will match Wyatt's proposal. Build a kid a rod! Then take him/her fishing with it!

Thanks Wyatt.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails photo.jpg