Thread: Residency Question

Default Residency Question

I'm in the military and I've been a resident of AK since 1994. My leave statement reflects this. I am coming back to AK and want to know if this is sufficient to pick-up where I left off or do I have to undergo the entire waiting game again. I wound up having to get a drivers license from Arkansas when my AK license expired; I couldn't make the trip back.

Does anyone have knowledge in this area? I want to get back into hunting and avoid eating the steroid laced meat at the store.

Default resident license

The regs say that you have to be stationed in Alaska for the consecutive 12 months prior to the application of the tag/license. You can find the whole reference on page 9 of this years regs.

Jake
    All the romance of trout fishing exists in the mind of the angler and is in no way shared by the fish.

Thanks Jake, I'll be there in 6 months and this time I'm not leaving.

I just called Fairbanks F&G and ask them your question as you stated it to included that you had to get an Arkansas DL. They said as long as you have met the yearly PFD requirements and not claimed another state you are not required to wait another year, HOWEVER, do your own research and make sure you are good to go.

Fairbanks F&G number is 907-459-7206

Good luck and welcome back

Steve
    Last edited by stid2677; 03-03-2009 at 20:27.
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

I know some states will let you hunt as a resident if you are on active duty stationed there, even if your home of record is Alaska. You just need to show them a copy of your orders when you purchase the license and they'll sell you the much cheaper resident license.

However,

If you do this, I've been told you are "benefiting from the privileges of residency in another state besides Alaska" and therefore disqualify yourself from a resident hunting license in Alaska. The answer I got when I called Fish and Game was "Well, would you rather hunt deer for $30 or moose for $25?" The answer is obvious, so I paid $150 for a deer tag and got a great tasting little doe, and then when I got home, I shot a nice Bull Caribou and a real pretty grizzly.

That was nice of Virginia to offer me a resident hunting license since I was stationed there on active duty. I wonder what does Alaska have against me accepting that hospitality?

Based on the answer I got, I would check to make sure that having an Arkansas Driver's License is not in some way "benefiting from the privilege of residency in another state".

Military now gets a free hunting and fishing lic. I do believe they also waived the 12 month rule for Active Military. I would call fish and game and ask. 267-2100.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

The Alaska Guard gets the free license, the active duty do not, however you are correct about the 12 months.
    Jake since youare going to be retired when you get back, do what stid suggests and call Fish and Game or the Wildlife Troopers. I've gotten both answers, that you had to wait and no you don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill S. View Post
    The Alaska Guard gets the free license, the active duty do not, however you are correct about the 12 months.
    Jake since youare going to be retired when you get back, do what stid suggests and call Fish and Game or the Wildlife Troopers. I've gotten both answers, that you had to wait and no you don't.

Thanks for correcting me. I just took a second looked at the application
    http://www.ak-prepared.com/DMVA/cont...LicenseApp.pdf
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

I think you get hosed by getting an Arkansas license. Making Ak your home of record doesnt do it. When I was transfered years ago, I kept my Ak license and registered my vehicle in Ak and saved my residency

Well, my problem was I've been overseas for 9 years and had to go to Arkansas on emergency leave. I have to get a valid license just to rent a car. I suppose it will all get worked out in time. I'll get with the fish and game and clarify once I get back in the state.

Read this and ask yourself if you qualify for Alaska residency.
    http://www.admin.adfg.state.ak.us/li..._infosheet.pdf

Just and added note to residency if a state offers you a price of a resident tag because you are military stationed in the state, you are not collecting a resident benefit of that state, you are collecting an military benefit which just happens to be the resident rate ($).

Yep, looks like I need to get back to AK and do my 12 months. Were buying a home there so I'll hopefully never sell it and retain an attachment from now on.

Been all over the world and nothing compares to AK! If I get reassigned again after this tour, I'll leave my claw marks on the mountains.

Thanks for all the guidance guys.

Quote Originally Posted by Retired2017 View Post
    Been all over the world and nothing compares to AK! If I get reassigned again after this tour, I'll leave my claw marks on the mountains.
    You and me both!!!
    Josh
    Back in Afghanistan, I hope for the last time.