Thread: Western Mountaineering Antelope Bag

Default Western Mountaineering Antelope Bag

Anybody using this 5 degree down Bag? Is the dryloft shell waterproof,
    Water-resistant?
    I was going to go with a primaloft bag because of the eternal debate, down versus synthetic but i can pick up the Antelope at a smokin price.
    I need the bag for a backpack hunt in early September. I do expect the bag to be warm and snug but I'm not a big fan of snug. What say you? Ken

They certainly have a rabid following! I have been interested in their gear for some time. I have heard that it is very warm and quited snug. For me snug is not an issue, I sleep fine in my Cat's meow and they don't get much smaller than that! I don't have a definative answer for you on which way to go. I am never going to tell some one to go down for fear of them taking a dunking and winding up froze to death. I may make the jump to down at some point inthe near future, and all my research has western mnt at the top of the list. I am also VERY interested in their down jackets, they have a 3.5 oz down vest, and a 10oz down jacket! I would love to see how small they compress, I never wear a warm coat like that but the fear of sitting on the mountain overnight in the dark keeps driving me to pack my too warm marmot packable jacket liner.

Default I

Picked up a WM Lynx -10MF at 40% off ten days ago or so. Took it out Fri night down on Kenai Penn, it was clear and cold, probably -5. Right now it pretty much my favorite piece of gear. So warm so comfy and half the weight of my old winter bag, probably twice as warm too. Looks like there is an Alpenlite in my future...

btw the code I used is no longer valid, some friends tried it already.

If you sleep in damp socks or damp base layers, will down dry them out like a synthetic bag will? Ken
    Whitepalm, I know of the sale you talk of, That's how I bumped into this bag.

Default mountaineer vapor barrier

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Engel View Post
    If you sleep in damp socks or damp base layers, will down dry them out like a synthetic bag will? Ken
    I don't know the answer but I've read that mountaineer's use a vapor barrier inside their down bags or over time the bag itself becomes a block of ice. So my thought would be NO...

Of course they are in the most extreme circumstances...

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Engel View Post
    I think it will dry them out if you dont use a vbl. But I beleive the moisture might be trapped by the down until you have a chance to thouroghly dry out the bag. One thing I did notice, when I sleep in my bivy in my synthetic bag my foot area is usually damp in the am(dry socks,wet socks or no socks). With this bag that was not the case and I didnt lose any loft, I am not sure if the tight pattern of the MF didnt allow the bag to breathe so much or if what moisture that passed through was trapped in the feathers. I dont think one has to worry about their bag becoming a laden with ice and moisture unless you are out for more then a couple weeks. Multiple day winter trips will be heavenly in this bag.

Smile

The guy in the brown truck dropped off my new, allready alltime favorite sleeping bag today. W/M has a loyal following for a reason, Their bags scream, AMERICAN QUALITY,! I've never seen something so lite, so compressible and yet in minutes so full of loft. This bag really does have the advertised 7 inches of loft, The hood fits like it was custom made for my head, I wish my hats fit this well.
    The tape they put along side the zipper track is way cool, you couldnt snag the fabric with this zipper if you spent half the sheep season trying.
    The dryloft shell seems impressive so far also, Water beads up on the surface and rolls off like water off of a ducks back(pun intended).
    My other bag is a synthetic gander Mountain bag filled with Polar guard. Gander sold it as a 0 degree bag and being dumb i believed them.
    After several hunts in the Rockie Mountains at 11,000 feet, I concluded how Gander determined their temp ratings for their bags. A 0 degree bag means you WILL DIE at 0 degrees. I cant believe i suffered with that gander mountain slumberparty sleepover at my house on Saturday nite because it's my birthday party, bag. Whew, long sentence. Ken......

I can tell you're just as happy as me. Congrats on scoring that sweet deal. They do in fact scream American Quality, just wait until you sleep in it

Also, if you find yourself looking at it several times a day or just reaching out to touch it I think thats normal. I havent put it in the storage sack yet, I just leave it laying out. I suspect I'll be taking it out for a night or two again this week.

Default Deal

So where was the deal at that you found the bag for sale?

Backcountry.com. But it's over now. Ken

Default ok how come nobody shared

I guess you snooze you loose, but **** I would have liked to help stimulate the economy with one. Next time some throw us a bone & post the link.
    thanks