Thread: Chitna Dipping-off limits to military????

Default Chitna Dipping-off limits to military????

Please clarify a rumor for me.

I am being reassigned to AK (never leaving again) after many years of bouncing around the world for Uncle Sam. I have heard stories that the military have been restricted from dipping the Chitna area due to safety concerns - guys falling in.

Can anyone speak on this with a fact based response?

Sounds like a rumor all right. Guys falling in - horse poop. A retired military guy (pulled a two civilians) from the Copper last year.

I did my time at Elmendorf and have heard alot of things...mostly off limits were from bars and less-than-desirable establishments....however never any outdoor area.

I'm gonna hafta call bs on it.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Default hope this helps...

According to an ADFG pamphlet about the Chitina dipnet fishery, it is open to Alaska residents under Personal Use fishing regulations. The pamphlet is here:
    http://www.sf.adfg.state.ak.us/Manag...tinaRegs08.pdf

According to the pamphlet, in addition to needing a (free) permit for the Chitina dipnet fishery, you also need to have: A valid resident sport fishing license, OR an ADF&G Permanent Identification Card, OR an ADF&G Disabled Veteran's License.

The State's definition for a resident under sport fishing regulations is:

"resident means (A) a person who for the 12 consecutive months immediately preceding the time when the assertion of residency is made has maintained the person's domicile in the state and who is neither claiming residency in another state, territory, or country nor obtaining benefits under a claim of residency in another state, territory, or country. (B) a partnership, association, joint stock company, trust, or corporation that has its main office or headquarters in the state; a natural person who does not otherwise qualify as a resident under this paragraph may not qualify as a resident by virtue of an interest in a partnership, association, joint stock company, trust, or corporation. (C) a member of the military service, or United States Coast Guard, who has been stationed in the state for the 12 consecutive months immediately preceding the time when the assertion of residence is made; (D) a person who is the dependent of a resident member of the military service, or the United States Coast Guard, and who has lived in the state for the 12 consecutive months immediately preceding the time when the assertion of residence is made; (E) an alien who for the 12 consecutive months immediately preceding the time when the assertion of residence is made has maintained the person's domicile in the state and who is neither claiming residency in another state, territory, or country nor obtaining benefits under a claim of residency in another state, territory, or country."

I didn't see any other exceptions for members of the military to the 12-month requirement to meet residency. Perhaps it's in other regulations. There is nothing in State law or regulation that I'm aware of that prohibits military...unless it's the military's own rules??? Never heard of it, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Retired2017 View Post

I am being reassigned to AK (never leaving again) after many years of bouncing around the world for Uncle Sam. I have heard stories that the military have been restricted from dipping the Chitna area due to safety concerns - guys falling in.

It sounds like that it could be a regulation put out by the Base specifically for those assigned there, but I work on Elmendorf and have heard nothing to that effect.

Default dipnetting

Haven't heard that one maybe just for their rental boat fleet? The copper is a river that shouldn't be attempted by an inexpierienced boater.

Default Check with the military...

at your facility. I believe local policy is established by the post/base commander. If new, this would have made news and I haven't heard it either but never know. Official source would be the Elmendorf, Ft Richardson, Ft Wainwright (both forts might be under USARAK commander), Eielson facility brass.

Thanks guys,

I figured it was BS but after being assigned overseas for the last 9 years, I wasn't sure if the base set a safety policy.

Default No such beast

As of today, no military base/commander has made the Copper river off limits for military, or any other outdoor activity place. I have heard that driving on the North Slope with a pick-up was frowned on by military commanders.

Outdoor rec has said you can not take their boats there. Good thing Hems and Kim's charter service will take me

Good luck-- dipping is one of my favorite things to do in Alaska.

"As of today, no military base/commander has made the Copper river off limits for military, or any other outdoor activity place. I have heard that driving on the North Slope with a pick-up was frowned on by military commanders."

Probably the reason Military Commanders frown on Military personnel on the North Slope is 2 years ago, a few military members decided to drive the Hall Road and hunt caribou off the road system with a Bow which is legal. However driving on the tundra with a 4X4 pickup to get your caribou after you killed it and tearing up land and getting the truck stuck that required major assistance, resulting in huge fines is not taken lightly. Especially when the law states you can not leave the road and drive on the tundra. Opps. I'm sure that threw a little egg on some commanders face since it was highly publicized.

I am not sure if the military personell are held to the exact same residency requirements or if their orders give them residency status... That would be the only holdup I could think of.

I have never heard of a base-wide rule on something like that and although i am not in the military I have friends that are and do all kinds of fishing. Why specifically ban dipnet, but allow offshore fishing in dangerous Alaskan seas...

I think that this one fails the reasonability test.
    Alaska Fishing Forums : They are my addiction!

You have to be here a year to be a resident and participate in dip netting.

Default live free or die

dude nobody is gonna tell me what i can or cant do, when it comes to hunting or fishing, except the laws of the fish and game, id say the hell with any commander that tells you , that an area is off limits to hunt and fish

Im with mike...
    God Created Man Samuel Colt Made Them Equal

Default Rumor

Quote Originally Posted by Retired2017 View Post

Just a rumor...if you are getting assigned to Elmo, say hi to me when you get your wildlife brief in newcomers.

AKRDGRUNNER,

I'll be there this summer as long as my great Uncle Sam doesn't hold the move up. I'll chime in and let the forum know if anything is mentioned. I agree with ya'll, no one is stopping this fella from ripping lips and scooping up reds. I live for the outdoors. I cant ignore the neanderthal cave man in me that wants to hunt and fish. I didn't think it was true but had to ask. Dipping was the highlight of fishing in AK. Heck, this old boy would go to jail for netting in the Ozarks - they confiscate everything but the wife and kids.

The only bad part is I've been gone for 11 yrs and I gotta do the 12 month wait again but this time, I wont be going outside again!

Quote Originally Posted by MRFISH View Post
    According to an ADFG pamphlet about the Chitina dipnet fishery, it is open to Alaska residents under Personal Use fishing regulations. The pamphlet is here:
    http://www.sf.adfg.state.ak.us/Manag...tinaRegs08.pdf

According to the pamphlet, in addition to needing a (free) permit for the Chitina dipnet fishery, you also need to have: A valid resident sport fishing license, OR an ADF&G Permanent Identification Card, OR an ADF&G Disabled Veteran's License.
    Yuppers, it has been that way for 20+ years. No additional restrictions on the military, they have to qualify as Alaska residents just like everyone else. It would be unwise for someone to pretend to be an Alaska resident when they haven't lived in Alaska for 12 consecutive months, State Troopers and the Alaska Department of Fish & Game aggressively enforce this requirement.

If the State ever did put additional restrictions on the military that are not applied to everyone else, I think a lot of Alaskans would raise a stink because Alaskans are very pro-military.

Glitch,

I have no problem playing by the rules. This fella is blessed to just get a second shot at living the dream. My orders were changed and I'll be arriving earlier --- mid June.

Awesome! I get to put some silvers in the deep freeze! Rod and reel of course. Cant wait to see my son who never hooked a fish bigger than his hand get onto an Alaskan salmon. I'm sure he'll get a foul hook in the tail and be in for the ride of his life. I'll keep the camera handy for that one.